Which charge card to use?

Cape Cod Sally

We live in the United States and will be traveling to Norway and back. Most U.S. charge cards charge 3% extra for purchase in other countries-because of conversion of currencies. Because Cunard is a British ship, will my credit card bank add 3% to my card? If so, then I shall use my Capitol One card. If everything is in "dollars" then I might guess there will be no problem. Since I've never seen mention of this, I trust everything is in dollars. I'm just talking about expenses on the ship---not Norway or Southampton purchases. Thanks for your help.

Sally

We live in the United States and will be traveling to Norway and back. Most U.S. charge cards charge 3% extra for purchase in other countries-because of conversion of currencies. Because Cunard is a British ship, will my credit card bank add 3% to my card? If so, then I shall use my Capitol One card. If everything is in "dollars" then I might guess there will be no problem. Since I've never seen mention of this, I trust everything is in dollars. I'm just talking about expenses on the ship---not Norway or Southampton purchases. Thanks for your help.

Sally

I cannot answer where Cunard charges actually originate out of. I would kind of assume the UK, but not positive. Call Cunard and/or your credit card company and ask them.

Sally

Sally, all charges I incurred on-board QM2 were billed in US dollars. My credit card bill reflecting charges from Cunard were in USD. (Based on experience of six QM2 voyages, and I should add that I live in the USA, and use a USA credit card account.)

Regards,

Salacia

You can check online for credit cards that don't charge the percentage on international transactions. I think it was capital one, but it might be hsbc platinum. I have too many cards to keep track of. Anyway, don't worry because the ship doesn't incur the international transaction fee. You'll be fine. (Unless you go crazy and buy a lot of stuff in port..:eek:

My U.S. credit card has begun charging a 3% foreign transaction fee on any purchase outside the U.S., whether that purchase is in U.S. dollars or in the local currency.

Happily though, the charges we incurred on board the QV last October did not incur the foreign transaction fee because they were posted to my credit card in U.S. dollars from "QUEEN VICTORIA QM2 VALENCIA CA".

So, Sally, you should be fine on both counts. Your on-board charges will indeed be in U.S dollars and (unless procedures have changed since last October) they will be billed from a U.S. address (Valencia, CA).

Hello,

all my onboard charges were billed in $ from Cunard/Carnival Florida USA although I booked my journey in Germany and used a Geman creditcard. Therefore I had to pay 1% conversion fee.

IMHO I think you can use your US-card without any fee.

Frank

Hi Sally. No extra fees, we also use our Capital One card. We also call them and let them know that we will be using it out of the country on certain dates, because there can be a problem of them not allowing the credit card to be used, just in case it was lost or stolen. 9 days and counting down!!:D

Archived