Booking Flight Later and Pre-Existing Condition Period

I have missed the TravelEx Pre-Existing Booking Period for my cruise but I have not yet booked a flight. So here is my question. If I book Travel Insurance for my cruise now and then later add my Airline travel as soon as I book it would I qualify for Pre-Existing because I am adding Airline soon after booking? The members in my family have no pre-existing condition and we are all young and really don't expect anything to happen but if I can get pre-existing coverage that would be great! Better to be safe then sorry.

I have missed the TravelEx Pre-Existing Booking Period for my cruise but I have not yet booked a flight. So here is my question. If I book Travel Insurance for my cruise now and then later add my Airline travel as soon as I book it would I qualify for Pre-Existing because I am adding Airline soon after booking? The members in my family have no pre-existing condition and we are all young and really don't expect anything to happen but if I can get pre-existing coverage that would be great! Better to be safe then sorry.

Here's their definition of the waiver of the pre-existing condition exclusion:

"The Pre-Existing Conditions exclusion is waived for You if You enroll in the Plan at the time You pay the deposit required for the Covered Trip (or within twenty-one (21) days of the initial deposit) and You purchase the coverage under the Plan for the full cost of the Covered Trip."

The timing is all based on the first payment on the trip. In your case, the initial deposit on the trip was the first payment you made on the cruise. If you're past the 21-day period there is no way to re-set that clock, even by adding new arrangements to your policy.

I guess you could insure the air flights on a separate policy with a different company and get that company's pre-existing condition coverage for the cost of the flights but if that company figured out you also had a cruise in the mix they could deny any pre-existing condition coverage also. And you'd be asked to affirm that the first payment on the trip was your air tickets so if you fudge that you're committing insurance fraud.

CSA plans are available with the pre-existing condition waiver up until the time of the final payment of your cruise so there is that option also.

Note: I don't know how it works with TravelEx, but with TravelGuard, you purchase the initial policy (and insure the deposit) within 14 days of making the deposit. If you book the airline later, you just call within 14 days of paying the airline, and insure the additional amount (and make a premium payment to insure the new amount.)

Pretty much, every time you pay non-refundable money, you call them and adjust the policy insurance total (making incremental premium payments as necessary.) If you do all that, you maintain the pre-ex waiver. (Which also applies to say, your parents, whose illness/death might lead you to cancel the trip.)

SirWired

So here is my question. If I book Travel Insurance for my cruise now and then later add my Airline travel as soon as I book it would I qualify for Pre-Existing because I am adding Airline soon after booking?

No, you are out-of-luck. As explained, the insurance company requires you to purchase your policy within a set number of days from the initial deposit, which you've apparently passed. Adding additional costs (the airfare) does not restart your initial deposit dates.

My advice is never ever mess with insurance fraud! Next time, just purchase the policy within the time period.

Thanks everyone for your help. :D No pre-existing for me then. Oh well. So I will go ahead and get the coverage without pre-existing.

You can still usually purchase coverage for a pre-existing condition; you are just going to have to pay a lot more for it.

Archived