Stockholm-cruise tour or do it alone?

Hi, we are visiting Stockholm in July 2010 and the cruise we are on is charging $45 for Stockholm Panarama which consists of a bus ride through Gamla Stan,Strandvagen,Island of Djurgarden, Ostermalm and the island of Kungsholmen. There will be no stops as we will just be passing through. Would this trip be worth the money or could we do it fairly easily on our own. We will only be there for 1 day.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Hi, we are visiting Stockholm in July 2010 and the cruise we are on is charging $45 for Stockholm Panarama which consists of a bus ride through Gamla Stan,Strandvagen,Island of Djurgarden, Ostermalm and the island of Kungsholmen. There will be no stops as we will just be passing through. Would this trip be worth the money or could we do it fairly easily on our own. We will only be there for 1 day.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Much depends on your age (mental/physical), interests, energy, personal style, shopping needs, etc. Some folks like to just "ride around" and see out the window. That's OK and understandable, for some. It also give a good "overview/introduction" to the town. Others, especially if the weather is nice, like to get out and about, see and feel things more personally, up close, with more freedom, etc.

Personally, I think Stockholm is wonderful for walking around, especially in the older city area where the buses cannot go into the "heart" of this great historic area. There are lots of cute shops there and the mid-day changing of the guard is very fascinating. The Vasa Museum is the other part of this triangle for what many consider as among Stockholm's top three sights to see. Along the waterfront is very nice. Below are some visuals samples from our trip to help give you a better idea of the character and charm for Stockholm. Tell us more on your situation and how this all fits for your "needs". How active versus passive are you?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

In the heart of Stockholm’s historic old city with many outdoor dining places:

1A-Stockholm-OldCityHeart.jpg

The architecture of buildings along Stockholm’s historic waterfront:

1A-Stockholm-WaterfrontBldgs.jpg

In Stockholm’s historic old town, a church tower:

1A-Stockholm-OldCityTower.jpg

Ships and buildings seen on water tour around Stockholm's islands:

1A-StH-WatersideBldgShip.jpg

At Stockholm’s Royal Palace, the changing of the guard involves this large band with their unique helmets:

9-StockholmMil.jpg

At the Vasa Museum with this large salvaged ship from the 1600’s:

1C-Stockh-V.jpg

Much depends on your age (mental/physical), interests, energy, personal style, shopping needs, etc. Some folks like to just "ride around" and see out the window. That's OK and understandable, for some. It also give a good "overview/introduction" to the town. Others, especially if the weather is nice, like to get out and about, see and feel things more personally, up close, with more freedom, etc.

Personally, I think Stockholm is wonderful for walking around, especially in the older city area where the buses cannot go into the "heart" of this great historic area. There are lots of cute shops there and the mid-day changing of the guard is very fascinating. The Vasa Museum is the other part of this triangle for what many consider as among Stockholm's top three sights to see. Along the waterfront is very nice. Below are some visuals samples from our trip to help give you a better idea of the character and charm for Stockholm. Tell us more on your situation and how this all fits for your "needs". How active versus passive are you?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry

Hi Terry, thanks for the wonderful photos, they are really lovely.

I would like to to see as much as possible and I think a coach tour sounds rather boring as it would be difficult to get the "feel" of a place just sitting there looking out of a window.

The problem I have is with my husband. We both enjoy walking, but he gets anxious when he is in new surroundings and worries in case we get lost or miss our ship etc. The ideal situation would be to catch a bus just by our ship that would drop us into the town centre, we could wander about for a few hours then get a bus back to the ship. Hope this makes sense to you,!!

Hi Granny Red,

An option that you might want to consider is the Hop On Hop Off ferries. When we docked in Stockholm last summer the ferries were loading right by our ship. They circle around the harbour with about three stops if I remember correctly. We got off at Djurgarden (where the VASA museum is), then back on the ferry and off again in Gamla Stan (the historic area) and back on to go back to our ship. You would be able to see your ship while on the ferry boat and I don't think that you would feel anxious at all about not getting back to your ship - just leave yourself plenty of time. Stockholm is a beautiful city to explore and I think you would miss a lot just riding on a coach.

Lisa

Granny

As my friend Terry, so wonderfully said, Stockholm is just a joy to do on your own. If I am not mistaken, you can grab one of the HoHo buses and it will take you to all the places you will want to see, and then, when you are ready to return, back on the bus, to the ship.

I have said it so many times already, but Stockholm was our favorite city on our crusie. We just fell in love with her. From the Vasa Museum, to the Palace and the Changing of the Guards, and Gamla Stan was a joy to explore. Really, you do not want to do this sitting on a bus. That way, all you will see are things out of a window, You really need to get out and explore Gamla Stan. There are so many back streets with wonderful little shops, eateries, and so much more. You cannot get lost in this area but those narrow, cobblestone streets were just wonderful. the people were so friendly, and we had some of the best pastries you will ever eat.

Here are a few more pix of this magnificent city

The Royal Palace, at the foot of Gamla Stan

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1241.jpg

In Gamla Stan, some of the back streets, just waiting to be explored

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1268.jpg

One of the bridges that takes you to the Vasa Museum

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1235.jpg

The Nobel Prize Museum

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1272.jpg

The Changing of the Guard ceremony

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1306.jpg

And do not miss selling the Archipelago

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1344.jpg

Cheers

Len

Hi, we are visiting Stockholm in July 2010 and the cruise we are on is charging $45 for Stockholm Panarama which consists of a bus ride through Gamla Stan...

Note that Gamla Stan is pedestrian area so its rather "passing the waterfront" than "going through".

Hi Granny Red,

An option that you might want to consider is the Hop On Hop Off ferries. When we docked in Stockholm last summer the ferries were loading right by our ship. They circle around the harbour with about three stops if I remember correctly. We got off at Djurgarden (where the VASA museum is), then back on the ferry and off again in Gamla Stan (the historic area) and back on to go back to our ship.

Hi Granny Red,

The HO/HO boats may be a good idea only if your ship is docked at Stadsgården port. But Stockholm Ports shows Queen Victoria booked to anchor off the quay in Gamla Stan. That means that you will have to tender and the most likely place you will leave the boat is in Gamla Stan or very close. Anyway you will be right at the town center from the start. No need for any bus transportation. From Gamla Stan you can take the regular ferry from Slussen (south end of Gamla Stan) to Djurgården to visit the Vasa Museum.

Hi Granny Red,

The HO/HO boats may be a good idea only if your ship is docked at Stadsgården port. But Stockholm Ports shows Queen Victoria booked to anchor off the quay in Gamla Stan. That means that you will have to tender and the most likely place you will leave the boat is in Gamla Stan or very close. Anyway you will be right at the town center from the start. No need for any bus transportation. From Gamla Stan you can take the regular ferry from Slussen (south end of Gamla Stan) to Djurgården to visit the Vasa Museum.

North-bound, Ultima Thule, Giantfan and IMG1230, thank you all so much for your helpful replies and lovely pics. As we will be on the Queen Victoria, I gather from this reply that we wont have to use any buses, as we dock near the town of Gamla Stan. IF we do have to use a bus or boat can we pay as we get on or do we need a ticket first.?

IF we do have to use a bus or boat can we pay as we get on or do we need a ticket first.?

If you want to use a local bus you need a ticket first but as you are in Gamla Stan you should not have a problem finding a seller:

Hjärtpunkten, Järntorget 83

Pressbyrån, Västerlånggatan 19

Ring Tobak, Stora Nygatan 19

Kornhamnstorgs Tobak, Kornhamnstorg 2

Grace Gunnarson Tobak, Trångsund 2

Pressbyrån, subwaystation Gamla Stan

Hi Terry, thanks for the wonderful photos, they are really lovely. I would like to to see as much as possible and I think a coach tour sounds rather boring as it would be difficult to get the "feel" of a place just sitting there looking out of a window. The problem I have is with my husband. We both enjoy walking, but he gets anxious when he is in new surroundings and worries in case we get lost or miss our ship etc. The ideal situation would be to catch a bus just by our ship that would drop us into the town centre, we could wander about for a few hours then get a bus back to the ship. Hope this makes sense to you,!!

THANKS for your nice comments on my pictures and your added background, especially your husband's worries! Lots of wives do "problems" with their husbands. The good news is that the main attractions in Stockholm are fairly close together and since your ship is docked right near the Gamla Stan, it will be even easier. Super easy!!! Tell your husband to "relax and enjoy". It will all work out fine. You will find Stockholm to be simple to manage and do, especially with your prime docking location. You might also like doing a ship tour that navigates around the main islands there in central Stockholm. Lots of great options there.

Terry in Ohio

It will all work out fine. You will find Stockholm to be simple to manage and do, especially with your prime docking location. You might also like doing a ship tour that navigates around the main islands there in central Stockholm. Lots of great options there.

Terry in Ohio

Hi Terry (same name as my husband). Thank you so much for putting my mind ease. I am looking forward to this trip sooo much more now. I have been looking at the various boat trips on our excursion list and have booked a 2 hour tour around the islands. Sounds wonderful.:) Only 5 weeks to go.!!!!!

Hi! we too will be docking in Nynasham Sweden on June 25, 2010 from 0700-1800 from NCL SUN.

Any advise on how to get to Stockholm ? How convenient is it going to be to travel from Nynasham to Stockholm? We are contemplating to just take the ship shore excursion or probably be adventurous and try to do it on our own!

There is some one just back from the Sun/Baltics, who has posted his entire cruise on the NCL boards. He said that there were HoHo buses waiting at the cruise dock if you so wanted to take them into Stockholm. I forget how much they were, but he said they were cheaper than the NCL shuttle or whatever NCL is doing to get passengers back and forth. If you want to check out that thread, go to the NCL board.

Cheers

Len

Hi Terry (same name as my husband). Thank you so much for putting my mind ease. I am looking forward to this trip sooo much more now. I have been looking at the various boat trips on our excursion list and have booked a 2 hour tour around the islands. Sounds wonderful.:) Only 5 weeks to go.!!!!!

Glad you're feeling better now about things. Keeping reading and research. The more you know, the better and more confident you will feel. Lots of people in Stockholm speak English; most are very nice and friendly. There are lots of more challenging places to visit. Good friends just got back a day ago from India with some serious challenges and issues there. This will be fairly easy in the Baltics. THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

• 2 weeks later...

Where is this- more importantly can we get the HOHO boat from there or do we need to take a tram/bus?

Is this close to town center or away?

Frihamnen is a port area, not very interesting. There is no HO/HO boat at Frihamnen. But it is not far from the city center, and only 7 minutes by bus to a stop, Djurgårdsbron, from where it is possible to walk to the Vasa Museum.

Here is a map where you can find your port and the main attractions in Stockholm: http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?client=firefox-a&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100446628536787947860.000448dadb8bebb56f079&t=h&z=13

The red line in the map is the route for bus 76 whick you should take: it not only goes to the Vasa Museum, it also continues to Gamla Stan.

Important to know is that you can not pay the bus driver. Before you leave the quay to walk to the bus stop there is a info kiosk at the quay where you should be able to by tickets for the bus.

Where does the Eurodam dock on July 26?

Eurodam is listed at Stadsgården on July 26. But it does not always mean that there is where she will dock. Changes can happen even at last moment.

Here is a link to Ports of Stockholm so that you can check again just before leaving home for yor cruise: http://194.52.202.66:81/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=portitfw/FartygsLista_eng.html?hamn=Stohab&trafik=2&status=2&Show=Show

Archived