Just off the POA

stevecw

Just got home Sunday from 12 days in Hawaii. I just wanted to take the time to thank everyone who responded to all my questions the last several weeks. The advice I received about the POA and the islands on these boards was extremely helpful. I did the POA cruise back in 2005 (Pride of Aloha), but I really needed some new information since a lot can change in 5 years, and this was a different ship.

I will get around to posting a full review, but wanted to share a few highlights. As I mentioned, I did the original POA back in 2005, and I must say that the new POA and the crew on her was quite an improvement over what I experienced in 2005. The service and food on POA will probably never be on par with Celebrity, RCL or HAL, but we knew that going in, and set our expectations accordingly. For us, this trip was about seeing and enjoying Hawaii, and the cruise ship was one of the means to do this.

Most of what I state here is my opinion, but I was traveling with a group of 11 people, and there are some things that we were all in agreement about - including the improvements over our 2005 POA cruise.

Dining - our group had mixed feelings. Some preferred the Aloha cafe, others the Skyline and Liberty. Cadillac diner was good for comfort foods, ice cream and shakes. We tried several of the pay restaurants, and mostly agreed that Little Italy was the most lacking, and Teppenyaki was by far the best.

The rooms - small, but got the job done. The first look in the bathroom is a little scary, but you get used to it. We all had balconies, so that made things better.

The shows - since everyday is a port day, and we had full schedules on land, we didn't see much of the shows, so I can't really offer an opinion on them.

The crew - there were some outstanding crew members that really tried to go the extra mile for us, and we rewarded them with extra tips. Since I passed 50, my skills at remembering names is non existent, so I can't pass on any names. Most of the crew were average and did a decent job. I talked to several because I like to find out where they are from, and how long they have been doing this, etc. Quite a few were on their first contract, and they said even though they enjoyed the people, and really liked the experience, most said they would not sign on again. The hours are too long, and its hard working away from home - especially if they have kids.

The ship in general - was mostly clean and in very good condition. Public areas were all nice and well kept. There was a few issues and sore spots. They seemed to be having some plumbing issues from time to time, and sometimes the toilets wouldn't flush until about 10 minutes after you hit the button. Our shower curtain had a big ugly stain on it, and they never cleaned or replaced it while we were there.

The islands - well, it would take a small book to cover what we saw and did, so I will just say its Hawaii, and it was wonderful. Mother nature could have been better. The first 6-7 days we were there they were having unusually high winds, and not much sun. On Maui, the golfers in our group had a rough day in the wind and rain up at the north end of the island. The last few days the weather was great. One thing I did notice that I didn't notice in 2005 was that we saw a lot of trash on and around the roads on several islands. Not sure if the high winds had anything to do with that or not.

Getting on and off the ship was a breeze for us. We're all Latitudes members, so no waiting in line. The lines weren't long anyway, so I don't think anyone had much delay getting on or off the ship. The ship was sold out and full, but the only time is really seemed crowded was the Aloha cafe for lunch the first day, and breakfast the last day. For a full ship, it seemed to disperse the crowds well most of the time.

Glad to hear there have been improvements!

Can I ask a question? Did you stay on your balcony for the viewing of the volcano and the napali coast? If so, do you feel like you missed out on the narration or could you hear it? I really want to be on my balcony! :D

Thanks!

Glad to hear there have been improvements!

Can I ask a question? Did you stay on your balcony for the viewing of the volcano and the napali coast? If so, do you feel like you missed out on the narration or could you hear it? I really want to be on my balcony! :D

Thanks!

I can answer this one as I was also on this cruise. You cannot hear the narration on the balconies (at least not on decks 8 and 9; maybe you can on 7 or 10). I wish Norwegian would pipe the narration through the closed-circuit TV and made that suggestion on a comment card.

My dad and I did go up to Deck 12 for the narration of the first part of Napali (since port side passed first and I was on starboard). Dad is 81 and the hearing is not so good and he could not hear most of it. My hearing is much better but even I had trouble hearing some parts of it, especially with all the side conversations going on.

It was much more fun to be on my balcony for both viewings, seated and drinking a Lava Flow for the volcano and a Blue Hawaii for Napali (there's bar room service available for both viewings).

Great mini-review, stevecw! As I was on the same cruise, I'm going to add a few comments to yours:

Dining - our group had mixed feelings. Some preferred the Aloha cafe, others the Skyline and Liberty. Cadillac diner was good for comfort foods, ice cream and shakes. We tried several of the pay restaurants, and mostly agreed that Little Italy was the most lacking, and Teppenyaki was by far the best.

Mixed feelings in our group of five on this too. My aunt (79) is a cruise veteran and was not happy with the food. She ate only at Skyline and Liberty with the exception of the Aloha Cafe the final morning; felt the latter was too busy. She has bad knees and a dowager's hump and prefers being served. My mother (81, also bad knees and a bad heart) ate most meals with her, with the exception of dinner the last night with my dad at Little Italy. They both really liked it. They also all ate at Cadillac Diner one day for lunch and liked that.

My dad (81 and in good shape) ate with my mom and aunt for most dinners, also doing that one lunch at Cadillac and one dinner at Little Italy, which he REALLY liked. After the first morning, he started eating breakfast at Aloha Cafe since it takes him a lot of time to get ready in the morning and he could eat faster there. This was the first cruise ever for dad, and Mom's last cruise was in the 50s to England!

This was my husband's and my second cruise, the first also being on Norwegian. We were happy with all the food, but then I really like Freestyle. I would fill one plate at Aloha Cafe in the morning and take it back to our room (I know, I spoil him). That one plate was plenty for both of us. I LOVE the muesli and had that and fresh pineapple every morning, as well as lox, havarti cheese, and an egg florentine. He liked frittatas or specialty scrambled eggs, a couple slices of crispy bacon and a link of pork sausage, and a pancake.

We ate at least one dinner and a lunch at Aloha too. I'd also make a sandwich there in the morning to take with us during the day as well as a piece of fruit.

We had a couple dinners at Liberty (including lobster Wednesday night) - the food was fine. I considered the smaller portions a plus as I tend to overeat at buffets. Service was friendly but slow. We ate one night at Jefferson's Bistro and thought it was great - had escargot, beef Wellington and crepes Suzette for dessert. We also ate at Little Italy the last night after my dad's recommendation. Wish we'd also tried the Lazy J Steakhouse, but were often too tired at the end of the day to even try to get reservations anywhere.

The rooms - small, but got the job done. The first look in the bathroom is a little scary, but you get used to it. We all had balconies, so that made things better.

My cabin was 8014, forward. Smaller than the mid ship cabins but a HUGE balcony - more than enough room to pull out the chair from the cabin so my dad (who had an inside cabin) could sit with us for the volcano and Napali.

The shows - since everyday is a port day, and we had full schedules on land, we didn't see much of the shows, so I can't really offer an opinion on them.

Agreed. Wish I'd tried to go to both the Polynesian show and the Hawaiian one on the last night though. I also participated in some of the "NCL U" activities in the late afternoons run by the "Hawaiian Ambassador" whose name is China. Made some leis and learned a little how to hula. She is an excellent instructor.

The crew - there were some outstanding crew members that really tried to go the extra mile for us, and we rewarded them with extra tips. Since I passed 50, my skills at remembering names is non existent, so I can't pass on any names. Most of the crew were average and did a decent job. I talked to several because I like to find out where they are from, and how long they have been doing this, etc. Quite a few were on their first contract, and they said even though they enjoyed the people, and really liked the experience, most said they would not sign on again. The hours are too long, and its hard working away from home - especially if they have kids.

Agree. Besides China, there is an outstanding waiter named Richard Craig who is mostly at the John Adams bar in late afternoon/early evening. Very funny and lots of great tips for us for the ports (so there were great tips for him). He's been doing this for a number of years and loves it, but then he is single. I can see how being on the crew would be hard for anyone with children.

The ship in general - was mostly clean and in very good condition. Public areas were all nice and well kept. There was a few issues and sore spots. They seemed to be having some plumbing issues from time to time, and sometimes the toilets wouldn't flush until about 10 minutes after you hit the button. Our shower curtain had a big ugly stain on it, and they never cleaned or replaced it while we were there.

Agree. I know there were plumbing issues on Deck 9 aft as they affected my parents and aunt - toilets would not flush a couple mornings. The plumbing issue was apparently affecting the public areas midship on decks 5 and 6 those days too. The only thing we noticed was that our shower and sink were slow to drain which may have been a related problem.

Getting on and off the ship was a breeze for us. We're all Latitudes members, so no waiting in line. The lines weren't long anyway, so I don't think anyone had much delay getting on or off the ship. The ship was sold out and full, but the only time is really seemed crowded was the Aloha cafe for lunch the first day, and breakfast the last day. For a full ship, it seemed to disperse the crowds well most of the time.

Mostly agree. My parents and aunt are not Latitudes members but had no problem boarding (around 3 PM). Took a long while for them to get their luggage on Deck 9, though. My husband and I boarded in seconds around 4 PM as Latitudes members. I thought the muster drill at 4:30 PM was extremely well run. Got our luggage (on deck 8) more quickly as I spotted it on a cart in the crew area near the crew elevator and got a steward to give it to me right away.

I was off the ship before 8 AM on Saturday with no problems, but an hour later when the rest of my family got off, it took a bit longer. For me, Aloha actually seemed LESS crowded at breakfast the last day (and I went there about the same time every day, around 7 AM), and the only other time the ship seemed crowded to me was the line to get off the ship on the first day in Maui.

We waited until about 7:45 to go to the Aloha on the last day. Sounds like I should have went earlier. It was so crowded we couldn't find a table anywhere, and ended up taking our food back to the room. But breakfast on the balcony in Hawaii isn't too bad either.

I can answer this one as I was also on this cruise. You cannot hear the narration on the balconies (at least not on decks 8 and 9; maybe you can on 7 or 10). I wish Norwegian would pipe the narration through the closed-circuit TV and made that suggestion on a comment card.

My dad and I did go up to Deck 12 for the narration of the first part of Napali (since port side passed first and I was on starboard). Dad is 81 and the hearing is not so good and he could not hear most of it. My hearing is much better but even I had trouble hearing some parts of it, especially with all the side conversations going on.

It was much more fun to be on my balcony for both viewings, seated and drinking a Lava Flow for the volcano and a Blue Hawaii for Napali (there's bar room service available for both viewings).

Just another note - I was on the Port side, and you will not see the lava from the port side. The ship just makes one pass as we made our way from Hilo to Kona. I went outside on Deck 6 to see the lava and could hear the narration fairly well from there. I did sit on my balcony on deck 9 for the Na Pali cruise by, and could only make out parts of the narration.

Thank you stevecw for clarifying! Yes, the lava flow (around 9:45 PM is when that narration starts) can only be seen from the starboard side - which is why I got a cabin on that side. :)

You said you could hear the narration fairly well on deck 9 for Napali - were you fore, aft, or midship? Wondering if that made a difference. We could not hear the lava narration on deck 8 foreward which is why we went up to try to hear the Napali narration.

And annecolorgreen, I don't think the narration is necessary, but it's done by China, the knowledgeable Hawaiian Ambassador, and it can enhance your enjoyment - IF the people watching it around you are quiet enough that you can hear it!

Thank you stevecw for clarifying! Yes, the lava flow (around 9:45 PM is when that narration starts) can only be seen from the starboard side - which is why I got a cabin on that side. :)

You said you could hear the narration fairly well on deck 9 for Napali - were you fore, aft, or midship? Wondering if that made a difference. We could not hear the lava narration on deck 8 foreward which is why we went up to try to hear the Napali narration.

And annecolorgreen, I don't think the narration is necessary, but it's done by China, the knowledgeable Hawaiian Ambassador, and it can enhance your enjoyment - IF the people watching it around you are quiet enough that you can hear it!

Actually, it was the narration for the lava flow when I was on deck 6 mid that I heard fairly well (except when people around me got loud). When I was on deck 9 on my balcony (we were mid/aft), I could only make out parts of the narration for Na Pali.

We have a center aft cabin (8706). Will we be able to see the Lava flow from our balcony or should we head up to the deck?

Ginny, I think you will only be able to see it from there as the ship is pulling away, and it picks up speed then and moves pretty fast, so I would recommend going to Deck 6 starboard side (or the upper outside decks). Then you should also be able to hear the narration.

Thanks, I'm next! this Saturday. This is great information, in fact I'm near the cabin where riofriotex stayed.

This is not my first trip to Hawaii, but will be my first cruise so I am anxious and excited!

Thanks, I'm next! this Saturday. This is great information, in fact I'm near the cabin where riofriotex stayed.

This is not my first trip to Hawaii, but will be my first cruise so I am anxious and excited!

Enjoy your time in Hawaii.

You will have a great time! One thing: other cruise experiences are very different from PoA from what I'm reading...you should make it a point to do a cruise sometime with more time on the ship. PoA seems like a "floating hotel" rather than a cruise experience. We've been on several and LOVE it!

Ginny, I think you will only be able to see it from there as the ship is pulling away, and it picks up speed then and moves pretty fast, so I would recommend going to Deck 6 starboard side (or the upper outside decks). Then you should also be able to hear the narration.

Thank you. That is good to know. :D

Enjoy your cruise! Be aware that this will not be a typical cruise. I hope you choose to cruise again with a more traditional itinerary so you can get the full cruise effect. It's an addiction you won't want to shake!;) I am excited for this one as I have never been to Hawaii before and I can't think of a better way to see this much in one short week. We hate packing and repacking. Being able to have our hotel come along with us is one reason we chose to see Hawaii for our first time this way.

Archived