Biking in Haines - Need a Recommendation

Middle Aged and Happy

I have been to Skagway a couple of times, done the drive to Emerald Lake and done the train ride. This year our ship is docking at Haines instead and I was thinking about just renting a bicycle when I get off the boat. For all you locals including Yukon, are there things worth biking to close to the ship without being killed on narrow highways? I'm not a great biker. I'm more like a 20 mile a day biker rather than a 50 mile a day biker and I prefer trails or secluded roads rather than busy highways. Does anyone have maps of trails to perhaps Chilkoot Lake or Dyea? Are these reasonable distances that are not dangerous paths? For those who have done this, please advise and thank you for your insight.

Haines has lots of back roads along the coast that are great for cycling and even the highway up the valley along the Chilkat River is good (it doesn't get the commercial traffic that the Skagway highway gets, and is flat for many miles). You can rent a bike at Sockeye Cycle, and their tour descriptions will give you some specific ideas - http://cyclealaska.com/ - to tie into the maps at http://hainesak.com/maps

Chilkoot Lake is a reasonable ride, but Dyea is only accessible from Skagway.

Archived