Carnival Newbie-what bout Elation

karen2cruz

Hi,

4-6 couples from my husband's work are thinking about a cruise together and have narrowed it down, based on several factors, to a late October cruise on the Elation. We would like help from all of you experienced Carnival cruisers.

Will a bunch of forty somethings, mostly non-drinkers, enjoy the Elation? (we love ship games, some gamble, & we all are divers and like water sports).

Compared to other lines, how's the food, entertainment, spa?

What kid activities are there, in case one of the couple decide to bring their kids? :rolleyes: (age ranges from 5-16)

Is there internet access? (They are all computer techies and need their fix).

I am sure we will have more questions.

Thanks in advance!

What itinary are you looking at booking? We sailed Elation in Feb 2002 to Mexican Riviera. She's a beautiful ship!

Only problem was that our TA failed to inform us that our cabin (Balcony Cabin, Verandah Deck, V38) had an obstructed view. I don't just mean a minor obstruction, I'm talking a HUGE orange life boat that spanned my decks and both neighbors decks to the left and right of ours! We could barely see the ocean, it was my honeymoon, and I was both sad and angry all at the same time!

"Will a bunch of forty somethings, mostly non-drinkers, enjoy the Elation? (we love ship games, some gamble, & we all are divers and like water sports)."

ABSOLUTELY! The ship games were fun to both participate in and watch others participate in. The entertainment person on the Lido deck was soooooo good at getting everyone involved and keeping us all laughing at the crazy things she got people to do!

The food good, I didn't have any complaints, and neither did my hubby.

The spa was very beautiful, and the staff completely wait on you hand and foot (literally)! I did a full body heated stone massage, and it was TO DIE FOR!

They have tons of activities both for adults and children. I have kids, but haven't brought them cruising yet. I have heard that the Camp Carnival program for little ones is GREAT. As we were lounging around by the pool, we'd spot them (the children with the Camp Carnival Counselors), parading around, singing, dressed up in costumes, etc. They seem to keep those little ones very busy!

As for older children (the 16 year old), they have a teens "night club", where they can mingle, meet others their age, dance, etc. I can assure you that after the first day or so, you'll have to go looking for the teen to find out what he/she and his/her new friends are up to! They also have a video arcade, and it seemed to be well stocked with a variety of games.

Yes, there is an Internet Cafe. Not sure about the costs though, I tried to avoid email that week!

Hope this help, and happy cruising!!

Stacy

4-6 couples from my husband's work are thinking about a cruise together and have narrowed it down, based on several factors, to a late October cruise on the Elation. We would like help from all of you experienced Carnival cruisers.

Sorry to not answer any of your questions, but I do have a suggestion. :o

Do you have your heart set on sailing the Elation? If not, join us on the Valor Vampires Cruise Critic Group Cruise sailing out of Miami on the Valor. :D Gonna be a tons of fun!

Happy sailing,

T.

Thanks everyone for answering.

Stacy/SxyEbyFem - We will be doing Progresso, Cozumel and Belize as our itinerary. We like Galveston because we can get Southwest airfare cheap here, and shorter flights than to Florida.

Stacy - thanks for the cabin info. We might just do the oceanview , if it's just my hubby and I. If we bring the 2 teen boys (who are begging to go), we would get the Cat 12 suite, which I think is on the upper or Empress decks. I am sorry for you, the deck plans don't show the obstructed view on the Verandah deck, very sneaky of them. Other cruiselines give a discount for obstructed views!

Astros fan - thanks for the thumbs up on the ship, eases my mind. :)

We just went (1/23) on the Golden Princess to the Southern Caribbean and loved it (port intensive and great for divers); however, I bet the average age on that cruise was 60-70. There were hardly any kids on board, which does have its advantages - like no blocked stairways or elevator hogging:rolleyes:

It will be interesting to hear the comedian's view on all the other cruiselines vs Carnival when we sail on Carnival.

Archived