Excursions - Western Caribbean

schrodinga

Hi guys!

Apologies if this has previously been posted, but still a bit of a newbie here and trying to find my feet!

I'm looking for information or advice on excursions in the Western Caribbean from someone who has either been on these or is considering booking....

We are keen to visit some Mayan ruins during the Mexico stops, but not sure which are the best. Celebrity offer visits to Kohunlich & Dzibanche and Chacchoben. Looking for a tour which is interesting, informative and maybe a bit interactive (i.e. not just following a group of people round being lectured to). Also a little concerned regarding the travelling distance to the sites, is this far?

In Grand Cayman, I am interested in Stingray City. Main concern is my boyfriend can't swim. Is this a problem for this attraction or is the water generally quite shallow? Can this attraction be done independently, or is it best to stick with the organised cruise tours?

Thanks in advance, KJ x

You will find more info on the Ports of call thread. As for Sting Ray city, no swimming is needed as the water is less than waist deep. It's great fun! Most excursions also stop at another snorkeling spot. I am a non swimmer but loved snorkeling. They have floatation belts which give you a lot of security.

I'll second the suggestion to check out the port of call boards for these destinations. This is a great opportunity to discover Cruise Critic's wonderful search function to find information about a specific excursion or a type of activity.

In general - in Cozumel I've never traveled to the ruins but when researching it when we were thinking about it I found that these can be quite a distance away and involve a ferry ride as well as a long road trip. This is definitely the type of trip I'd take a cruise line excursion for to make sure we get back to the ship before it sails and the line waits for us if we're late (they generally will not if you're on a private excursion and are late).

In Grand Cayman I'd definitely do one of the private excursions with one of the operators recommended on the Cayman port of call discussion board. You'll have a much better time. Do confirm that you are going to the sand bar area (wading depth water) to visit with the rays for non-swimmers and not the area where you snorkel with them as some private excursions only do the latter.

These two excursions are great examples of when cruise line excursions are best and when private ones are best.

Cozumel has the bar bus. Don't just think drinks - think the most beautiful deserted beaches and someone else to drive you to them. Went a couple of weeks ago and one couple on the trip had been to cozumel 6 times - and the bar bus ws their favorite excursion. Look in the ports of call - you won't find a bad review for the bar bus.

Also try Maya Chan in Costa Maya - again you won't find a bad review.

Sue

We have been to Tulum. It is the only ruins that we have visited, and found it very interesting. However, it is not interactive (you can do a little climbing and exploring on your own.) The beach below the ruins is beautiful. Depending on when you go, the weather can be extremely hot and humid.

We enjoy Chankanaab Park for snorkeling on Cozumel. You can taxi it from the ship. It's about $10 entrance fee. Walk the beach to the far end, and there are steps carved out of the coral for you to enter the water to snokel.

Bring a can of Kraft Easy Cheese to squirt in the water and the fish will

engulf you! You can rent snorkel gear if you don't have your own. Beware! No coolers allowed! The beer on the beach is cheap but the restaurant is not that great.

Archived