Is May or September better for Hawaii and Pride of America?

Davian

Sorry these are the questions that everyone hates but we all ask!

Coming from New Zealand we want to do the POA cruise and spend some time in Hawaii but want to avoid the school holidays (June to August) but still get great weather. Not having children we are mildly alergic and try to avoid them on mass.:D

What is best ... early May or mid September to visit. Going to all of the Islands then some aftertime in Kauai

Sorry these are the questions that everyone hates but we all ask!

Coming from New Zealand we want to do the POA cruise and spend some time in Hawaii but want to avoid the school holidays (June to August) but still get great weather. Not having children we are mildly alergic and try to avoid them on mass.:D

What is best ... early May or mid September to visit. Going to all of the Islands then some aftertime in Kauai

When I did my research, I ended up deciding between May and October (Whales were not a priority for us). We chose May and really were happy with our choice. Lots of flowers, waterfalls, nice temperatures. I would imagine anytime would be good in Hawaii.

See post #4 in this thread for some links to some other threads on this topic:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=966941&highlight=best+month

I did the May 22 PoA sailing:

-partly because my window to go (based on my university's schedule) meant I needed to sail either May 15, 22, or 29;

-partly because that was when the others in my party (parents who'd just gotten back from a trip to California May 2-10), and my aunt had commitments through May 16; and

-partly because this article said May was one of the best times to go:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=133

Honestly, either one is an excellent choice with neither being better than the other. I'm not trying to be glib or non responsive. Both are excellent months in terms of weather and water. You'll probably have a tad more rain in May, but it rains year round in Hawaii, so it's not that much of a difference. In any case, the "rain" will almost certainly be brief refreshing showers. The water conditions will be similar, but the surface temps are somewhat warmer in September. September is usually one of the hottest months (relative, of course) and is when the trade winds sometimes die down for days at a time. One September we were there, it was over 100 degrees on Oahu for 5 days. OTOH, we had short afternoon showers most days that were delightful and the water temps and conditions were wonderful. The waterfalls will be fuller in May and there will be more flowers in bloom. But there are various flowers all year. We would give a slight edge to May because of the slightly cooler air temps and the wonderful flowers and "freshness" of that time of year.

For us, the choice between May and September would come down to two things: Which has the cheaper fares (cruise, air, and hotel) and which time is most convenient.

beachchick

I agree...both times are wonderful. I would lean a bit toward Sept. only because it may be a bit hotter. However, this may be a temperature difference of only a degree or two ....not a big deal to most. August and Sept. tend to be our warmest months. The water temperature could be a bit warmer also. I don't think of May being much rainier than Sept.....especially this year....we have had quite a drought this May and June.

So, this is a hard call. You are lucky you can get away at either time...so enjoy your trip!!

I would lean to Sept of the two choices, but if are open to other dates, I'd recommend Jan/Feb. There are a lot of whales in the water, and it really is amazing to see. We're on the 1/29/2011 sailing.

I was in New Zealand (north island) a couple of years ago. I loved it. It as amazing how lush it is.

Best of luck with your decision.

I'd choose May. We were there in Sept once and ran into a problem with bugs. The island was loaded with flying bugs of some sort. Made eating outside miserable (if not impossible). It just was not fun to be swatting at insects all the time.

I don't think this is the norm but may be a cyclical thing. Kinda like the cicadas that appear in masses every 7 years in Illinois.

Funny how one person's reason to go a certain time, will be another person's reason to avoid that time.

Someone suggested September would be warmer than May. That would immediately turn me off to September. I do not like heat. We went mid-late May of this year and found the temperatures very much to our satisfaction. Even the days that were hotter, we had a nice breeze, so we were not uncomfortable.

Like I said, the difference in temperature will only be a degree or two. The most important thing is that the water temperature should be a bit warmer in Sept.

We do not have A/C in our home...the tradewinds keep us cool all year round :) Gotta love it!!!

We did Sept (3 years ago) and just went April 21 - May 5 this year. We have already booked again for 2 years from now for late April again.

There was no humidity, great weather (even in Hilo) and for us, lots of waves on the North Shore. Loved watching those surfers as there was no waves at all when we went in September. We are hoping that when we go next time that we can try a Whale Watching trip. I know it is late in the season for this but we are still hoping.

We also don't have any children and book off season for your same reasons but I think overall you would be happy with either time.

Angela

Like I said, the difference in temperature will only be a degree or two. The most important thing is that the water temperature should be a bit warmer in Sept.

We do not have A/C in our home...the tradewinds keep us cool all year round :) Gotta love it!!!

We are visiting for nearly a month this October! Finally, finally I get to be there when the water temps are usually warmest (or nearly) and the air temps aren't the "just a bit too hot" (for us) of July through September. I know, it's really only a few degrees, but for us those few degrees can be the difference between "Wonderful" and "Too hot." Of course the water was delightfully warm the September we were there, and we spent lots of time in the water. My DH practically had to haul me dripping wet in my swimsuit to get to the airport to fly from Oahu to Maui.

I can only go by our experience with May versus September for rain. The difference was pretty small. I'm sorry to hear about the drought this year. Am I remembering correctly that you've had drought for the past couple of years like we have in CA? Although this year, we got rain, rain, and more rain. It rained here on the central coast 10 days ago, which is not usual. I read about the fire on Maui.:eek: Seems to me that area burned just last year or perhaps the year before? We sure hope they get it controlled fast. I'm sure those winds aren't helping.

I can't tell you how much we need both the trip itself and the anticipation of it. It's been one thing after another for nearly 3 years straight. And I made the unforgiveable error of breaking my rule number 1, Don't tempt fate, when I made a declaration at a New Year's Eve party that "2010 will be a better year for us all!" Not so much. Anyway, I'm so jazzed about this year's visit that I can barely keep from doing my happy dance.:D But I don't want to tempt fate again.;)

beachchick

We are visiting for nearly a month this October!

beachchick

So happy for you, beachchick! I'm doing the happy dance, too. Just last week I booked a trip for March. Yeah!!!! (I was hoping maybe you'd be there then and I could buy that round of drinks and spring rolls. ;))

Hope that the hard times are behind you and the future holds luaus, health and happiness in abundance!

Beach4me

beachchick...so glad to hear that you will be back in the islands. I know what you mean about needing the anticipation as well as the trip. I get somewhat sad when I know that my trip is near....because I know that it will be over before I know it. The anticipation is definitely more than half the fun!!

I will keep my fingers crossed for lots of blue skies and just a few showers to make some beautiful rainbows during your visit in October...;)

Mahalo to you both. It's been entirely too long since our last visit.

So happy for you, beachchick! I'm doing the happy dance, too. Just last week I booked a trip for March. Yeah!!!! (I was hoping maybe you'd be there then and I could buy that round of drinks and spring rolls. ;))

Hope that the hard times are behind you and the future holds luaus, health and happiness in abundance!

Beach4me

Unfortunately, we have more hard times ahead, but will soldier on because what else can we do? This spring, we got terrible and unexpected news about my mother's health (a terminal illness with treatment only available to make her feel better). My DH and I are her only local relatives (with my siblings in the state, but several hours away and, frankly, focused on their separate lives), so the burden of helping her has fallen almost solely on us for more than a decade. These days it's an exhausting and overwhelming challenge, especially combined with our own long-term health concerns. That's one reason anticipating this trip is so important. My mother was the one who urged us to plan it because she finally realized just how much she had expected from us and how much she needs now. Our hope is that the treatment allows her to have at least this year doing what she wants and feeling better; our fear is that she will suffer at the end. She considers the whole thing a massive inconvenience to her travel plans and even took her planned trip to Alaska--in March--days after the diagnosis and departing 2 hours after some additional tests. More power to her, I say.

It's funny you mention next March because our best friends are trying to convince us that we should all visit during their teenagers (yep, they have two:eek:as they had their children later in life) spring break, which would be next March. It's unlikely we could swing it, but who knows. It's hard to plan the future these days. If we have to postpone our October trip, we might very well end up in Hawaii for the month of March...if so, we are so on for drinks and spring rolls!:D

beachchick...so glad to hear that you will be back in the islands. I know what you mean about needing the anticipation as well as the trip. I get somewhat sad when I know that my trip is near....because I know that it will be over before I know it. The anticipation is definitely more than half the fun!!

I will keep my fingers crossed for lots of blue skies and just a few showers to make some beautiful rainbows during your visit in October...;)

I know what you mean about the days right before a trip. I have to stop myself thinking, "Oh, it will be over too soon..." and try to take things as they come by living in the present. My sister is pretty good at that, but I've yet to fully master the skill.

I'll be looking for those rainbows!:)

beachchick

If we have to postpone our October trip, we might very well end up in Hawaii for the month of March...if so, we are so on for drinks and spring rolls!:D

beachchick

Sorry to hear about your mom, beachchick. I gotta say that I admire her spunk ("massive inconvenience"...love that attitude!). I'm sending positive thoughts your way.

I hope you get to go in Oct. But if not, I'll look for you in March. :)

Beach4me

Were going on Golden in April so heres another choice. springrolls and drinks sound great to us . 2 springrolls 2 more drinks.anyway

This past year I lost my dog of 17 years and my bestfriend of 30 years ( to one of those illnesses. all within 4 weeks time... DH and I run a company that provides in-home care so we often see families overworked and over wrought .. If any thing helps ......it is you do the best you can and you are effective in the moment, sounds like your mom needs to know you will go and enjoy thats what living is all about anyway enjoying this beautiful world. Much Love Here for you!

Sorry to hear about your mom, beachchick. I gotta say that I admire her spunk ("massive inconvenience"...love that attitude!). I'm sending positive thoughts your way.

I hope you get to go in Oct. But if not, I'll look for you in March. :)

Beach4me

Were going on Golden in April so heres another choice. springrolls and drinks sound great to us . 2 springrolls 2 more drinks.anyway

This past year I lost my dog of 17 years and my bestfriend of 30 years ( to one of those illnesses. all within 4 weeks time... DH and I run a company that provides in-home care so we often see families overworked and over wrought .. If any thing helps ......it is you do the best you can and you are effective in the moment, sounds like your mom needs to know you will go and enjoy thats what living is all about anyway enjoying this beautiful world. Much Love Here for you!

Mahalo to you both. It is a very trying, exhausting, and stressful time, but we have our good moments too. In fact, our DD and DGD arrived this evening to visit for a few days. Of course, this visit will focus mostly on them spending time with my mom, but we'll have a day just for us too. I appreciate all the good wishes and thoughts.

beachchick

p.s. to Careg: Please accept my condolences on your losses. Losing a beloved pet is so hard. For us, it is nearly as difficult as losing a friend or family member because our furry loves are part of our family. And then losing your best friend at the same time is so incredibly sad. You be sure to have those spring rolls and drinks and toast their memory. (Spring rolls at Lahaina Fish Company, in case you haven't read or heard about our "thing" for them.):D

Archived