For security reason canceling ports of call

hathaway42

So far as overnights are concerned, my feeling is that this should only be arranged with an independent operator (not on your own-too risky) and where the cruise line is also operating it's own similar overnight tour. In Israel, the usual tour leaves Haifa on day 1, overnights in Jerusalem and returns to Ashdod on day 2. If arrangements change, the independent tour just needs to mirror what the cruise line tour is doing. The local independent tour company should have the savvy to deal with this or the tour company could check with the port agent or cruise line. There is no way the ship will leave passengers on one of it's own tours stranded. Of course, ensure that the local tour company will not punish you financially for changes beyond your control. Threaten them, if needs be, with the appropriate publicity on these boards.

I think one could arrange through an independent operator in advance or do something on your own once you arrive. Overnights need to be cleared by the cruiseline in advance. Israelies are use to dealing with security issues all the time, consequently I am sure they would respond appropriately to any situation. I don't believe you would need to threaten anyone with bad publicity. I would talk in advance with any independent operator about options and consequences so you know up front how they would deal with changes. This way you will not have any surprises.

Yup. But those are the chances you take when booking an independent tour.

A couple of years ago, we were on the Sapphire from Sydney to LA, and several people opted to take the Princess overnight tour from Fjordland National Park to Dunedin, New Zealand. We were unable to get into Dunedin due to wind and weather so they were flown to Auckland where they spent a couple of days until they could re-board the ship. Because it was a Princess tour, they were taken care of. :)

That is why we always book tours with the cruise line. I am sure the private tours are good and have many positive benefits and rarely miss the ship, however I travel with the girls and don't care to take even a small chance of missing the ship.

There are NO concerns about safety and security within Israel. There has been no civil unrest in the country. The concern is that princess would (over-react) and cancel the ashdod port stop, leaving pax stranded if they opted for an overnight private excursion. Other cruise lines opted to overnight in Haifa, giving pax two full port days in Israel.

I would have no concerns about planning a land tour to israel, and we will be sending our teenaged dd there later this summer as a graduation gift. NO Kevlar vest on the packing list :-)

Hi WW, how are things in Duluth? I agree, I would love to go back to Israel on a land tour. I loved it there and felt perfectly safe. For sure a lot safer than in Egypt.

Hi WW, how are things in Duluth? I agree, I would love to go back to Israel on a land tour. I loved it there and felt perfectly safe. For sure a lot safer than in Egypt.
Hi Houch! Typical Duluth "summer"...cooler by the lake;) I am still amazed that we survived the traffic in Cairo. No cruises for us this year, but thinking about the Med again for next fall; the Holy Land was our favorite itinerary yet...sure glad we didn't miss any ports!

I think one could arrange through an independent operator in advance or do something on your own once you arrive. Overnights need to be cleared by the cruiseline in advance. Israelies are use to dealing with security issues all the time, consequently I am sure they would respond appropriately to any situation. I don't believe you would need to threaten anyone with bad publicity. I would talk in advance with any independent operator about options and consequences so you know up front how they would deal with changes. This way you will not have any surprises.

Perhaps my previous post was not particularly clear. I was simply suggesting how to deal with an independent tour operator who tried to impose an unfair financial penalty for a change caused by the cruiseline, not the passenger.

Also, on our Holyland cruise last October all we had to do to notify our two independent overnights in Israel and Egypt was to complete the card given to all passengers by their cabin steward. No big deal;)

Hi Houch! Typical Duluth "summer"...cooler by the lake;) I am still amazed that we survived the traffic in Cairo. No cruises for us this year, but thinking about the Med again for next fall; the Holy Land was our favorite itinerary yet...sure glad we didn't miss any ports!

I agree, Cairo traffic was awful, and the Holy Land cruise tops my list of cruises. We are headed for the British Isles in August. I am sure I will enjoy it but I just can't get excited as I was for the Holy Land.

Archived