Problems for the Amsterdam

dakrewser

[quote name='bepsf'][font=Georgia][size=1]I wonder what the HAL employees were supposed to do?[/size][/font][size=1]

[/size] [font=Georgia][size=1]They aren't doctors and they don't have the authority to commandeer accommodations for passengers - particularly on such a small island.[/size][/font][/QUOTE]

A crisis is when the crew works the hardest to keep the customers happy, and not when they take a powder.

They could provide comfort, good cheer, and bust their butts to get blankets, and other provisions. A little cheerful social distraction in a crisis can make a difference. Heck, instead of sitting in the bar, they should have done some creative scrounging, and get the bar to send a keg over to the gym to provide some relief.

If this had been a line with a proper employee ethic, no crew would have drank or slept until every possible accomdation had been made, and the stranded passengers would now be singing praises as an event that led them to life-long devotion.

[quote name='Robert Johnson']They could provide comfort, good cheer, and bust their butts to get blankets, and other provisions. A little cheerful social distraction in a crisis can make a difference. Heck, instead of sitting in the bar, they should have done some creative scrounging, and get the bar to send a keg over to the gym to provide some relief.
[/QUOTE]

And you've offered no proof that they didn't except some third-hand, anonymous, scuttlebutt which you seem very eager to accept as gospel. Should we be looking to see what your ulterior motives are? For example, I can't see that you've ever sailed on a HAL ship, but you do spend a lot of time enthusing about Crystal...

[quote name='Robert Johnson']...no crew would have drank or slept until every possible accomdation had been made...[/QUOTE]

[font=Georgia][size=3][color=navy][b]I believe neither you nor I are in any position to say with any certainty whether that occured or not - and therefore have no right to pass judgement on any of the parties involved.[/b][/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='bepsf'][font=Georgia][size=3]I wonder what the HAL employees were supposed to do?[/size][/font]

[font=Georgia][size=3]They aren't doctors and they don't have the authority to commandeer accommodations for passengers - particularly on such a small island.[/size][/font]

[font=Georgia][size=3]Nobody died, nobody was injured, and everyone made it safely back aboard ship [/size][/font]

[font=Georgia][size=3]What exactly is wrong w/ some of the crew going to have a few beers while they wait out the storm?[/size][/font][/QUOTE]

[font=Book Antiqua][color=blue]Indeed. I was wondering how this topic (like many others) get "exhumed" from having been buried some time ago. [/color][/font]:)

Sorry for ruffling feathers for asking QUESTIONS. I did not seek to provide "proof" of anything, nor to "pass judgement".

If the "rumors" as I described them are false, then of course there is no criticism.

I simply wondered if anyone had more direct knowledge than the ship's officer I spoke to, in a serious conversation that also recounted the handling of several on-ship emergencies (e.g. fire, stateroom window shattered by rogue wave).

I wonder if cruise lines now have contingency policies for such occurences, such as having a designated senior shore officer.

Archived