Problems for the Amsterdam

dakrewser

We had a very exciting tender ride in 2000 when we were on the Celebrity Millenium and we were in the port city closest to Olympia. We returned from our excursion to Olympia and did a little shopping in the port city's shops and tavernas. Anyway, The tender dock was very well sheltered, but where the ship was anchored it was getting hit by some pretty high winds and large waves. So We head out on the ships tender boats. The driver tried 3 or 4 times on each side (at least one attempt on each side) total, and they could not safely get roped on. Finally, as everyone was starting to get a tad alarmed and the thought of what happens if we can't hook up, started playing in everyone's mind, the driver gunned it in one more time slammed it into reverse and the crew roped on. The Gangway gouged about a 1 foot hole in the port rear top of the tender. Nobody was hurt, but it was the most exciting tender trip I have taken. I remember it like is was yesterday and it was over 4 years ago.

jc

Thanks for mentioning this and about the meds going on shore! My dh has to have meds and although I always carry extra in my purse, I never thought it was needed in my bellypack! :) Now I will carry them on shore as well!

JC,

FYI, they now have a substantial dock at Katakolon, the port for Oylmpia. We were there in May on the Westerdam.

Our first HAL cruise was on the Ryndam around S. America. We chose HAL over Celebrity because HAL stopped at the Falklands, and went on to Rio. Celebrity did neither at that time.

However, because of strong winds, we were unable to stop at Stanley. The Capt. said that smaller ships can go into the protected inner harbor to escape the winds but the Ryndam couldn't. Crew members later told us they only make the stop about 25 percent of the time.

We were very disappointed to miss the Falklands but understood why.

I also got to thinking last night about DH's heart medications. I never carry them with me when we leave the ship.

That's going to change - from now on I will carry a couple o day's doses with me all the time.

I also never thought to bring any of our meds ashore with us. Both of us are on at least one drug which should never be abruptly stopped. We take it twice a day. If we were to miss two (or more doses) it could be dangerous. We are always so careful of time, it would be most unlikely we'd miss the ship. But it never occured to me that we could encounter something like this rare event.

I will also be carrying a small pill case ashore with us that has a few days doses of our 'must take' meds.

I just heard from our friends who are on the Aamsterdam and were stranded onshore.

Here is a partial report: (I've copied her story at the point when they're trying to get the tenders back to the ship")

".....It took 30 min to get to the ship and after an hour bouncing out in the ocean trying to land at the gangway, the Captain gave the order to abort and return to shore. Another 30 min to shore and two hours on the tender bouncing up and down waiting for the wind to die down, but it kept getting worse.

"Finally they came on the tender and said they were busing us to a hall and were looking for 1000 beds. They took us to the Army base and put us in a hall, like cattle. There were 960 passengers from the ship. They said we were spending the night there and local residents were opening their homes for us . They brought in food, cold french fries, cold hot dogs, cold chicken tenders, cold beans - wonderful.

"AT midnight they came to us and said come with me, we have a bed for you, you can get some rest. They put us on a bus and took us to a school into a cold Gym with mats and no blankets. I said if I stayed there I would have pnuemonia in the morning. He said come with me I have a bed for you.

"He took me down the hall to the Medical room which had a small bed and some heat. Ralph went down the hall to the facualty room and slept on the floor on some cushions. I did`nt sleep until 4:30 and at 5:30. Ralph said to get up they were going down to the pier. We walked and got to the pier at 6:00AM and on the tender at 7 and back to the ship at 7:30. I ordered coffee and oragne jusice and went to bed. Wiped out today....."

Their "pleasant" memory apparently will be a nightmare instead! Wow!

Thank you so much for sharing this, Patti.

Somehow a slightly different picture than we first imagined. That would be VERY hard on some senior, less hearty pax. It could take them days and days to recover from such an uncomfortable, difficult experience.

Of course, there was no choice. Safety had to be the only consideration.

I can certainly understand the frustration and uncertainties of being stranded in a foreign country. But it seems the islanders were doing the best the could to take care of people. I don't think I would expect hot food under these circumstances. No way to do that at a moments notice. At least they had something to eat. I'm also sure sleeping on the floor wouldn't equate to much sleep. But factually there is no way to catch a cold (or pneumonia for that matter) from sleeping on a floor. Maybe I just look at things differently than other people. Would I feel inconvenienced? Certainly. But there seems to be a certain adventure element that could be enjoyed to some degree.

It sounds like the half full/half empty vision of life. For some it would be an adventure, for some a nightmare. For me it would be an adventure, cold hot dogs and beans included. I've eaten cold beans and cold hot dogs before, bet I will again. Do I want to sleep on a mat in a gym for a night - no, but would not expect much more in a place the size of Stanley with 900+ drop in overnight guests.

JC,

FYI, they now have a substantial dock at Katakolon, the port for Oylmpia. We were there in May on the Westerdam.

That's good to hear. Back in 2000, the seas were too high for us to get to Katakolon and we sailed up to Patras. But that's 100 km futrther from Olympia so it did shorten our stay at the museums....

It sounds like the half full/half empty vision of life. For some it would be an adventure, for some a nightmare. For me it would be an adventure, cold hot dogs and beans included. I've eaten cold beans and cold hot dogs before, bet I will again. Do I want to sleep on a mat in a gym for a night - no, but would not expect much more in a place the size of Stanley with 900+ drop in overnight guests.

Yes, of course, the half full vision of life is wonderful. Most of us strive for that, I think. I'm just 'feeling' for some of the senior folks who cannot get on a mat on the floor. Those people who have sore hips, arthritic joints, bad backs.....it's a matter of pain; disability; physical limitations. They simply cannot lie flat on a hard floor on a mat. Just the getting down and back up would be very difficult.

I know everyone did the best for them that they could and whenever we travel, we have to realize we subject ourselves to possible risks or lack of comforts.

I certainly understand it was not anyone's intention for pax to have to endure that. It is absolutely a Safety First situation and would not dream of questioning the decision or need for it.

I'm just 'feeling' for some of the senior folks who cannot get on a mat on the floor. Those people who have sore hips, arthritic joints, bad backs.....it's a matter of pain; disability; physical limitations. They simply cannot lie flat on a hard floor on a mat. Just the getting down and back up would be very difficult.

The news story did say that "Five hundred people were accommodated in homes around Stanley and at Estancia. The remainder spent the night at the Lighthouse Seamen’s Centre, the FIDF Hall, the Upland Goose Hotel and the Parish Hall." So I'm guessing (and hoping) that this was done on a "needs" basis with the most infirm being accomodated in real beds.

I think it's fantastic that a town of less than 2,000 population can manage to shelter and feed over 900 unexpected guests!

:) -dave

I agree with Dave. The Faulkland Islanders did a wonderful job at such very short notice. I also would enjoy the cold food if I hadn't eaten for some time. At least it would be food in my stomach. We always expect to be waited on and have every luxury but I hope that if I was put into such a situation that I would enjoy it for what it was - an adventure and something to be talked about for many years. I also would rather be on a mat on the floor than have my life in danger trying to board a ship in very rough seas.

When we were on the Prinsendam in October, we had to be tendered to Nessebur. The seas were quite big, not rough but huge rollers and it took a good 2 hours to get everyone off who wanted to go ashore. A lot of people cancelled their tours. When we returned to go back to the ship, the seas were bigger and it took the wonderful crew a mighty effort to get us all back on board. We were speaking to the Doctor's wife a few days later and she said he had been busy attending to passengers who had hurt themselves boarding.

Jennie

I think you misunderstand my post.

Of course, SAFETY is paramount.

I was not being critical of anyone.

I was stating that I felt bad for some of the more frail, disabled, arthritic pax who suffered. I know that some more senior and some pax with various medical conditions suffered. I was feeling compassion for their discomfort.

Everyone did everything reasonable....above and beyond.

I am sorry if you thought I implied anything different than that.

Sail,

I am sorry if you thought I was critizing your post and thoughts. I apologise for that. I was speaking from how I would feel if I was in such a situation. I know how rough those seas can become and wouldn't like to be put in any danger whatsoever. I would just be grateful to be looked after and have a roof over my head for the night.

I know how worrying it would be for the elderly, (though they now say that a person over 65 is considered in that category and I am very close to that age) especially ones who didn't have their medication with them.

Jennie.

Hello all who responded to my post with our friends' story. I'm just getting back online now.

Yes, our friends are seniors and approaching their 80th b'days in a few months; very active, in fairly good shape 79+ year olds, but seniors just the same. I heard a great deal of frustration in her email to me; and in a clear mind, I know they realize one cannot catch pneumonia from sleeping on the floor in a cold area. They are adventurous people, but right now they're not feeling that it's an adventure. I'm sure when they return home, have unwound from this experience, and we sit around hearing their story, they will have calmed down a bit and all will be good.

I agree that it sounds like the people of Falkland were great, very hospitable, etc. Safety is the first and foremost concern, and I know my friends realize that; they just need a good night's sleep .... and probably a good stiff cocktail!

If I hear more from them, I'll share. I'm eager to hear more myself! Thanks for your concern everyone.

[quote name='patti o']If I hear more from them, I'll share. I'm eager to hear more myself! Thanks for your concern everyone.[/QUOTE]

Please do. I'm sure the first posting from them was done in the heat of the moment and they should have the opportunity to correct any bad impression they might have given.

[b]Thank you for sharing all this with us, Patti.[/b]

[b]I hope you will let us know how your friends are when you next hear from them. [/b]

[b]I hope they are well and have settled down and enjoy the rest of their vacation.[/b]

We get so used to traveling in comfort in 5-star ships that we forget we are on the ocean, where anything can happen, not that far removed in time from the explorers who first found these places. They had a rough time of it; we have cold hot dogs and chicken, perhaps lousy overnight accomodations. While we are living under Mother Nature's roof, we will obey her laws and one of them is, "It's gonna be rough some days; put up with it." All were safe, all were back on the ship dining in splendour.

After a few months, in the glow of a few cocktails, the waves will grow ever higher, the winds will become Force 5 hurricane, the temporary housing will creak and moan and the grandchildren will say, "Oh, grandpa, not again! It gets worse every time."

Hi everyone!

Heard again from our friends, but it was a brief message stating that they were well, rested, and eager to share their stories upon returning home. At least they didn't bail out and fly home early, as I've seen happen on various other cruises we've been on!

The tone of this email was much better, and it was clear they are continuing on, and like was stated, probably their first email was in the "heat of the moment".

Thanks all for your concern and I'll keep you informed as I hear.

[quote name='zil']This is a good example to do as they say." Take your necessary meds with you ashore." One never knows, if the ship might have to sail quickly or as today the tenders are shut down.[/QUOTE]

So true. I've traveled the Caribbean several times with HAL and one time at Half Moon Cay, there was talk of having to leave some passengers and crew overnight on the island. A horrible storm came late in the afternoon. What is usually a 5-10 min tender ride turned into a 60-90 min ride per tender! Unloading was another hour because the waves were so big they were literally throwing one passenger off the tender onto the ship as the wave would slam the tender into the ship! They finally got everyone back onto the ship. But for awhile, it looked like some would be staying on the island.

[quote name='patti o']The tone of this email was much better, and it was clear they are continuing on, and like was stated, probably their first email was in the "heat of the moment".

Thanks all for your concern and I'll keep you informed as I hear.[/QUOTE]

That's great to hear! Thanks...

-dave

[left][font=Comic Sans MS][font=Comic Sans MS]We spent the night in the church on the cement floor without heat. We did receive blankets at 11:30PM[/font][/left]

[font=Comic Sans MS]What the reports fails to state is the when the tenders were put in the water at 9:00AM that morning Captain Harris stated that winds were in excess of 50 MPH crossing the ships decks. We boarded the tenders about 10:30AM and attempted to return about 12:45 PM. Our tender was sent back to the dock in Port Stanley because they determined seas were too rough after sitting out in the water next to the ship for 30 minutes bouncing around. We were told that if we left the tender we would lose our seats and have to return to the back of the line which started to get pretty long by this time. Communication between the ship and passengers was poor. We were told by HAL shore personnel as soon as they heard something they would let us know. At 7:30PM the Governor of the Falkland made his presence known and informed us that we would be spending the night in the Falklands.[/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]Those requiring medications would be transported to the Hospital. Doctor and hospital staff were great. They did not have all the required medications because they receive there supply directly from England. Not all US prescriptions are available in England.[/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]Captain Harris also told us HAL picked up the bill for all expenses occured while we were there overnight but for those wanting to show their appreciation a collection box would be placed in the Front Office. We were told they collected $1,300 from passengers and that the Captain would make sure they recieved the funds next time they visited Port Stanley. No mention that HAL would match the passenger contribution. [/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]Not only were we treated to "CAMP HAL" on our SA Adventure but when we got back to the ship in Ushuaia two days later we were asked to sanitize our hands before entering the ship and were later told that evening there were 6 cases of GI reported on board and those passengers had been quarantined to their cabins. The Captain told us the last morning before leaving the ship in Santiago that they were able to keep the total number of cases under 50. Can't help but wonder if spending the night in such close quarters with other passengers in Port Stanley contributed to the "GI problem". The ship was being sanitized before passengers would be let on board that afternoon for the trip back to Rio de Janeiro. [/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]I was attempting to post the letter from Captain Harris but can not compress it enough for posting.[/font]

[/font][font=Comic Sans MS]Mike[/font]

• 3 months later...
Any truth to the report that most or all of the scores of HAL employees on shore spent the night in bars, drinking among themselves, instead of helping passengers in a crisis? I heard this recently in a serious conversation about safety and crises with an on-board senior staffer of a six-star line, and wonder if those on the scene observed otherwise?

[font=Georgia][size=3]I wonder what the HAL employees were supposed to do?[/size][/font]

[font=Georgia][size=3]They aren't doctors and they don't have the authority to commandeer accommodations for passengers - particularly on such a small island.[/size][/font]
[font=Georgia][size=3][/size][/font]
[font=Georgia][size=3]Nobody died, nobody was injured, and everyone made it safely back aboard ship [/size][/font]
[font=Georgia][size=3][/size][/font]
[font=Georgia][size=3]What exactly is wrong w/ some of the crew going to have a few beers while they wait out the storm?[/size][/font]

Archived