Odd snorkleing question

Michele M

I have been reading all the info on these boards, but I have a strange question. We will be trying snorkleing on our cruise and decided to buy our own equipment. The masks we tried on seem to fit fine. We are both able to keep them on without the strap while taking a breath in. I am able to keep mine on and sealed after that breath while breathing totatlly through my mouth. My boyfriends seal releases as soon as he lets his breath out through his mouth. This is on every mask he has tried on. We have decided that he is unable to breath entirely through his mouth without letting a little air escape through his nose. The question is will he be able to snorkle without his mask leaking? It seems to fog up on him also, probably because of the air from his nose. Will mask defogger help this? Sorry so long, but thanks in advance from all you knowledgable snorklers.

Michele

Michele,

If you haven't already, perhaps you might consider buying your masks from a dive shop. They would be able to help your boyfriend with the fit. BTW - I do the same thing - a little exhale through my nose each time. Defogger (or spit) will help the fogging problem. He might get some water in his mask - that can be solved by learning to clear the mask (something I have to do alot underwater), or they do sell masks with purge valves - each time he exhales through his nose, he'll clear his mask. Those are more expensive. Again, to get help with a proper fit, really suggest you go to a reputable local dive shop for help.

Mona

I think BF will be OK. I don't think his mask will leak very much if any. Some things you can to do help with the fogging are:

• polish the inside of the lens. This will remove any residue from the glass left there from the manufacturing of the mask. I recommend using a small drop of tooth paste (not gel) to clean the glass. Put a small amount on the glass and rub it around with a finger tip for a couple of minutes, then rinse. Doing it twice wouldn't hurt.
  • Spit really isn't all that great as a mask defog compared to some of the commercial defogs, or even a couple you probably already have at home. Those are diluted baby shampoo (won't sting the eyes) and diluted dish washing soap. I like the green Palmolive best. The commercial defogs I use are 500psi and Gold Seal. Both of these are thick and work really well.

I think you will both have a great time. Don't forget; use lots of sunscreen.

I can't keep my mask on too long on dry land either. But once you are in water with snorkel, the only way you can breath would be through your mouth. So he'll be all right. Get good fitting fins also. They'll greatly increase your enjoyment.

Archived