Alaska Clothing and Packing Tip

Mike2131

Hi!

I know this is not a new idea for the experienced Alaska travelers, but with the reinstated weight restrictions (and charges) by the airlines, I thought I would mention it.

Alaska travel demands layers and a variety of clothing. During our cruise tour (land portion first) we decided to ship home some of the iitems we had purchased (like fleece needed in Denali in August!) or would not need (like dirty clothes!) on the cruise. We used the good old USPS parcel post. It lightened the luggage (and, of course, made room for other purchases) and beat us home by a day!

Have a great cruise to Alaska in '05!

Hi!

I know this is not a new idea for the experienced Alaska travelers, but with the reinstated weight restrictions (and charges) by the airlines, I thought I would mention it.

Alaska travel demands layers and a variety of clothing. During our cruise tour (land portion first) we decided to ship home some of the iitems we had purchased (like fleece needed in Denali in August!) or would not need (like dirty clothes!) on the cruise. We used the good old USPS parcel post. It lightened the luggage (and, of course, made room for other purchases) and beat us home by a day!

Have a great cruise to Alaska in '05!

Thanks for your suggestion.........We are going to Alaska for the first time in May. I tend to pack too much which adds weight to the luggage. This idea I had not heard before and think it's a good one.

Gail J.

Leave home all the bulky clothes. As everyone has said, layers are the way to go. You do not need anything more than a windbreaker with layers underneath. A good pair of thermals will do wonders and weights next to nothing. they make some rweally great nylon clothes that are so light weight and are toasty warm.

Archived