HAL's Alaska's Whales and Rainforest

westlab

The whale watches out of Juneau, all go to the same area, and there is 100% sightings of humpbacks. "ALL" of the area is also rainforrest, with many areas available for the hiking. I would not consider these myself, since trails are easy to get to, and I want my own pick.

This excursion was exceptional. We did a 30 minute hike, ending up on a beach across from the Mendenhall Glacier. The guide was very informative and helped with taking pictures. You can pick up some of the ice that calved from the glacier.

The whale watching was astounding. The boat captian was very good. One of the whales went under the boat several hundred feet in front of us. We chased whales for a very long time.

We did a 30 minute hike, ending up on a beach across from the Mendenhall Glacier. You can pick up some of the ice that calved from the glacier.

As an alternative, this is simple for anyone to do for free, minus the transit cost. There are also free ranger activities, depending on when you are there, which include some short hiking.

how do you do it for free? Thx

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/trails.shtml

There are several well marked trails at Mendenhall, very easy to follow. There is also an unfinished trail, the goes up near the water fall, just follow along the lake to it.

Many many trails all over inside passage.

How does one get to the Mendenhall Glacier on their own.. bus? I appreciate the link to trails.

Are you whale watching?? Hopefully with an independent, if you are?? Most independents, pick up/drop off at Mendenhall. This has to be booked in advance. Then you take the shuttle bus for $7, to/from the docks. You want to avoid, going back and forth more than you have to, if you are short on time. IF taking a helicopter tour, it can be an advantage to just cab direct to/from Mendenhall, and using the shuttle bus in the other direction.

Archived