Carnival Fantasy Review & Pics/ June 5th, 2010 Sailing

If you can think of any questions let me know. Especially about Charleston. Since I live here I can give you some insights.

Would love to have info re hotels in the historic area. We have never been to Charleston and are going to spend a couple of days pre cruise. Hotels in the historic area are very expensive but we would like to walk if possible to areas of interest.

Also am trying to make air reservations and wonder how easy is to get to the airport, so we can decide how early we can book a flight after returning from the cruise.

Loving this thread, thanks.

Would love to have info re hotels in the historic area. We have never been to Charleston and are going to spend a couple of days pre cruise. Hotels in the historic area are very expensive but we would like to walk if possible to areas of interest.

Also am trying to make air reservations and wonder how easy is to get to the airport, so we can decide how early we can book a flight after returning from the cruise.

Loving this thread, thanks.

Hotels in the historic area can get pretty pricey. The closest one to the port would be The Market Pavillion. It is truly a beautiful hotel but sheesh...the prices are outrageous. Here is a link to the hotels that are in the historic district.

http://hotelguides.com/south-carolina/charleston-sc-lower-historic-dist-hotels.html

It is pretty easy to get to the airport after the cruise. There are usually shuttles/taxis waiting at the exit of the port that would be happy to transport you there. It is about a 20 minute drive straight down I-26 from the port to the airport with no problems. The airport is very very small (only 2 gates) so depending on the time of your flight I would give a window of an hour to get through security and such. It has been pretty fast in our past experiences.

I hope this helps.:)

• 2 weeks later...
thanks for reading both of our reviews!

Your welcome!! I was at work when I came across your reviews, I couldn't stop reading it. lol!! When I got home I had to finish reading where I left off.

I'm going to do what you said you did by paying my gratuity ahead of time. So I will not have a balance when I board the ship. You gave so much details on what to pack and what to expect on the cruise. Which is very helpful for a first timer. :)

Oh I forgot to mention I'm glad the Andrew is doing better and you was able to get a new home. Hope to run into you and the Andrew on a future cruise. Y'all look like so much fun to be around.

I haven't sailed my first cruise yet, and I'm already planning a cruise for my BF birthday next year. :D I know I'm going to love it!!! My BF and I alway wanted to do a cruise so we are so exicted.

Edited by Chelleum

Your welcome!! I was at work when I came across your reviews, I couldn't stop reading it. lol!! When I got home I had to finish reading where I left off.

I'm going to do what you said you did by paying my gratuity ahead of time. So I will not have a balance when I board the ship. You gave so much details on what to pack and what to expect on the cruise. Which is very helpful for a first timer. :)

Oh I forgot to mention I'm glad the Andrew is doing better and you was able to get a new home. Hope to run into you and the Andrew on a future cruise. Y'all look like so much fun to be around.

Very nice of you to say. The only way I think the Andrew would be 100% better is if we lived on a cruise ship. :p Sometimes I wonder exactly who is more addicted.

I am almost jealous that this is your first time. There is nothing quite like that feeling of walking onto a cruise ship for the first time. It still brings me to tears with happiness. I knew that I would love cruising. (I blame the Love Boat for that) However, I didnt know I would be obsessed with it. :p

I haven't sailed my first cruise yet, and I'm already planning a cruise for my BF birthday next year. :D I know I'm going to love it!!! My BF and I alway wanted to do a cruise so we are so exicted.

WOW! You are hooked even before you get a chance to get onboard. You are going to be soooo flippin addicted.

Thanks you guys for posting this great review. We've been on the Fantasy 4 times and nice to see she's still holding up well. Probably have to make it 5...

You are welcome! They really do seem to take great care of this ship even though it is the oldest in the fleet. We booked for December 8th so for the first time EVER, we are going to sail 2 times in one year! CRAZAY!

• 2 months later...

I have so enjoyed reading your review! I read the review from your March cruise as well and I'm so excited for our first cruise this November! We leave out of Charleston on the Fantasy on November 8th. My birthday is a couple of days before we leave so this will be a true celebration! I'm so glad you wrote the reviews because it gives me a more realistic view of what to "visualize" when I'm daydreaming! Cruising has always been my dream vacation, but my husband is afraid of being seasick- he's bothered with vertigo a lot- but he finally agreed. I'm hoping the only seasick he gets is missing the boat after we get off! Anyway, you're reviews are awesome! We will be staying on the Rivera (sp?) deck in room R58 I think. We are trying to be as frugal as possible and being we won't be in the room much, we got the cheapest possible. I do have one question for you. I have heard a lot about a fuel surcharge being charged to you once you return. I know I read somewhere that CCL reserves the right to charge you a fuel surcharge if oil reaches a certain point, but I'm just wondering if you have any experience with this or have ever been charged with it? I'm a natural born planner so I want to be prepared for anything. We are going with another couple and are still in the research phase as far as excursions go. Thinking we will probably just hang out at the beach for the days we are in port, but just have to figure out which beach to go to. I'm so excited that I have already started "packing" and we have 87 days before we leave! Really just picking up things here and there and putting them in a designated box to help stay organized, but it's something to do to help with the excitement! Again, thank you so much for this review. Fantasy reviews are hard to come by!

I have so enjoyed reading your review! I read the review from your March cruise as well and I'm so excited for our first cruise this November! We leave out of Charleston on the Fantasy on November 8th. My birthday is a couple of days before we leave so this will be a true celebration! I'm so glad you wrote the reviews because it gives me a more realistic view of what to "visualize" when I'm daydreaming! Cruising has always been my dream vacation, but my husband is afraid of being seasick- he's bothered with vertigo a lot- but he finally agreed. I'm hoping the only seasick he gets is missing the boat after we get off! Anyway, you're reviews are awesome! We will be staying on the Rivera (sp?) deck in room R58 I think. We are trying to be as frugal as possible and being we won't be in the room much, we got the cheapest possible. I do have one question for you. I have heard a lot about a fuel surcharge being charged to you once you return. I know I read somewhere that CCL reserves the right to charge you a fuel surcharge if oil reaches a certain point, but I'm just wondering if you have any experience with this or have ever been charged with it? I'm a natural born planner so I want to be prepared for anything. We are going with another couple and are still in the research phase as far as excursions go. Thinking we will probably just hang out at the beach for the days we are in port, but just have to figure out which beach to go to. I'm so excited that I have already started "packing" and we have 87 days before we leave! Really just picking up things here and there and putting them in a designated box to help stay organized, but it's something to do to help with the excitement! Again, thank you so much for this review. Fantasy reviews are hard to come by!

Thank you for reading both of my reviews!

As far as the seasickness goes, I take Ginger Root for 2 weeks prior and while on the cruise. I also bring seabands (accupressure type wrist bands) just in case. I know there are a great deal of seasickness meds out there but since I drink on a cruise, I dont want to be sleeping by 9pm. :D Also, since you can bring on a 12 pack of soda each, why not make one of them ginger ale? That helps also. There is also fresh ginger at the sushi stand and I have heard that green apples work as well. If he starts feeling squirrely make sure to tell him not to go lay down in his cabin. Fresh air works wonders.

In regards to the fuel surcharge...I have been hearing about it since 2007 and have yet to see them put it into effect. I always keep it in the back of my mind that it could happen but pray it doesnt. That will significantly cut into my drinking budget. :p

I too am frugal which is why we usually book a porthole room now. Same price as an interior but with 2 round windows. Cant beat it!

• 3 years later...

Hey! Im staying in Room R58 on the Fantasy...So how was it?

Not sure how I missed this - all these years - but the fuel surcharge is one of those get out of jail free cards for cruise lines - in case oil prices suddenly go through the roof they have an escape clause to fall back on and tack an extra charge to your bill.....fortunately .....prices are on the down swing ( hey - does it work in reverse....can we have some money back?) fat chance.... But - I've yet to hear of it actually being used. Hope you had an awesome cruise four years ago - sorry I just saw this. My next big adventure is a river cruise with Amawaterways in November from Amsterdam to Basel! Hope the cruising bug has bitten you!

:-)

Sandy

Charlotte, NC