Currency and cash

Ubermann

I'm surprising my wife with a cruise on the Atlantica 2/27. This will be our first cruise and I've learned so much from these boards. Unfortunately, I still have a few unanswered questions that I'm hoping to get answers for. What currency is used on the Atlantica, USD or Euros? Is there someplace on board that we can cash traveller's cheques? What currency should we purchase our traveller's cheques in? Are USD readily acceptable at Western Caribbean ports of call?

Since I'm surprising my wife we can't consult on these issues together and I have to be discreet in seeking information. Any additional advice for cruise virgins would also be welcome (particularly since I also have to pack my wife's bags!).

Anyone else booked for the same cruise? Would love to say "hi" on board.

Thanks in advance.

Ted

Hi Ted,

If you are cruising the Caribbean, the on-board currency is the USD. However, you don't actually use cash on board; you register your credit card within 48 hours of boarding, and use the Costa card -- (also used to open your cabin door and when leaving and returning onboard the ship) -- for all beverage and merchandise purchases.

We had no trouble spending our USD at all of the ports of call.

Are you really going to pack your wife's bags? You are a very brave man....

(may I suggest that you consult one of her close friends, or maybe a sister, just to make sure that you don't overlook something absolutely vital?)

Have fun!

Linda

Ted

I'd urge you not to even waste your time with traveller's cheques anymore. They are nearly impossible to cash (except maybe on the ship). Off the ship you are going to have a hassle using them. Everywhere I have gone in the Caribe - everyone seems happy with good ol greenbacks. A credit card works best for your shipboard account, and at the larger stores off the ship too.

As for packing your wife's bag - good GOD man! I'm beginning my prayers now. I would highly suggest taking Linda's advice above. Sister, best friend - you definitely need a woman's advice. Though a cool option might be an extra day (or two) in Ft Lauderdale for some clothes shopping for her.

Myself, my partner, his sister, and her husband will all be joining you on the 27th!! :)

I'm quite sure that I am crazy for even trying to pull this off, but I was certainly smart enough to schedule our arrival in Fort Lauderdale three days early so there's plenty of time for shopping.

I'm happy to hear that traveller's cheques aren't necessary... I hate using them. Thanks so much for the advice. I hope we can meet onboard.

Bravo! Well then I would say she is going to be VERY excited. I know you said this was your first cruise - do you have a contingency for seasickness? The patch works well for me - usually only have to wear it the first day and then i'm fine. Might get a script from your physician. Also, stow a bottle of Febreeze or similar in your luggage. We have gotten some stinky cabins occasionally, and a good dosing of this in the drapes, bedding, sofa freshens the room up nicely (were non-smokers).

Just some armchair advice! :) Shut me up anytime.

Mind if I add a woman's perspective? You can lead a woman to the mall, but she may not always find exactly what she is looking for... You may want to take along a few essentials ( like her favorite bathing suit ) just in case. Nothing puts a damper on a shopping trip faster than trying on a bathing suit early in the season...

And ditto on the shutting up...:)

Far be it from me to turn my back on such excellent advice.

Dogbeau, I hadn't thought of seasickness. We've done some day trips on the ocean, travelled extensively by rail and I've had some pretty interesting overnight ferry trips without any indication of motion-type sickness. The optimist in me says we'll be fine, the cautious part of me will consider a contingency. Great advice about the Febreeze though, we are also non-smokers.

Linda, I certainly appreciate a woman's perspective. It's funny you mention bathing suits. My daughter needed a new one so while we were in the swim suit store, I managed to convince my wife to buy herself one "for the summer." I also got her to give her approval to a new dress that I had already purchased and will give to her before we embark.

So please DO NOT shut up! I'm open to all advice and suggestions.

Thanks so much!

<p><p>Wow, you sound like the perfect husband! I'm sure your wife will be thrilled!

Since the bathing suit has already been taken care of, you may want to turn your attention to her feet, and make sure that she has at least one pair of dressy sandals or shoes to wear with her new outfits. Also, you might want to include a dressing gown for each of you, just in case you decide to order room service. And I would throw in a shawl or wrap for those midnight strolls on the upper decks...

You're going to have a great time :)

Linda

Ahhhh... now you've hit on the real issue. My wife is very much a shoe fanatic. My single biggest worry is not packing the right shoes. She can throw an old towel over her shoulders and still look great but shoes, they have to be just right! It won't be so easy to shop for shoes if I pack incorrectly. And I have to find just the right mix of practicality and fashion since we tend to walk endlessly on vacation and I'm sure we'll do so at every port.

I'm thinking a pair of sandals for lounging, a pair of walkers for shore excursions, a pair of trainers for the fitness center and a fancy pair of dress pumps for formal nights. The first three I think I can handle... the dress pumps - yikes!

BTW: another question if anyone is still following this thread... since this is a European cruise line, what kind of electric power is provided onboard? Do I need to bring my outlet converter?

Costa's web site state they have standard 110/220v.

Good luck with the suprise.

I also suprised my wife with a cruise. I, not being as brave as you gave it to her as a present at Christmas. We leave March 13, she is still shopping.

Hi Kindralynn,

We are going on the Mediterranea to the Eastern Caribbean. Was A little concerned at first. I saw a lot of reviews of the Atlantica on these post and not very much on the M. But have read some recent reviews they seam to have just as many nice things to say.

Although, who am I kidding since I will be on vacation it can only be great!!

Have fun on your trip. If the they have a good teen program we may go on that one with our children(11 & 15). I have just heard to much about the "family" lines being over crouded.

Archived