Grand Cayman Gamble

After speaking with my cousin who went on our exact scheduled cruise itenerary, we decided to change our cruise dates. We are now going on the Valor March 20-27th. We changed it so Cayman could be our first stop instead of Cozumel. My cousin said it is worth the gamble to have it there.

My question is this - if we cannot port, and it is skipped, do you think carnival will work with me to schedule something spare of the moment? I am looking to book directly through the grand old house. We are doing a cermeony only with an AHR April 10th.

Anyone ever take this gamble and have it work out? Or not work out? What were your back up plans and how did you approach it?

Thanks!

Kelly

Kelly,

I think if you were booking your wedding directly thru Carnival for the Caymans and you happened to miss it, they might work out something for you. But seeing as you are booking it directly with Grand Ole House and Carrnival is not involved at all, I doubt that Carnival would help you out should you have to miss it. Sorry!

MalibuBarbie

You are correct. I just go off the phone with carnival and the wedding experience. If the port is skipped carnival will actually work with you to reschedule on a different island or do an onboard wedding ceremony. They sent me their list of 'enhancements'....the wedding experience is such a rip off everything is more than double then if you were to book direct, but i guess we may have to consider it because they will handle the reschedule if we have to have one :-/

Shore Side wedding ceremony on the dock - 2150

fee - 375

This only includes basically the wedding venue....no chairs or anything for guests.

What to do what to do....

I would do whatever I could never to have to deal with TWE again.

If i remember your posts correctly you have now changed your cruise so that Grand Cayman is your first port?

If so a couple of thoughts come to mind...

Have you looked to see if there is a wedding planner that covers both GC and your other ports (other than TWE)

or

Have you talked to wedding planners at the other ports - maybe they can do something for you at your next port if you do miss GC. Maybe it would be like a 200 cancellation fee if you do not use them but it might be worth looking into.

Hope this makes sense I have been up for way too many hours

good points. i was talking with my fiance last night. he said if we have to spend the $ to have wedding protection then so be it. but i have heard terrible reviews of TWE like you have stated before.

GOH will refund everything but the depoist ($500) if the port is skipped. I have been looking at Roatan as a backup. But like you said, i would have to ask them what their policy is.

If i do this should I be up front about the entire thing? Tell them they will be a back up location?

Kelly

I wouldn't hide that info but I wouldn't offer it up right away either if that makes sense

If they get upset about being a back up you could always have your fiance call them back as a new client

well roatan was my second choice but the place im lookin at has the following cancellation policy:

Our cancellation policies are:

If you cancel 48 hours or less prior to the wedding full payment is due, if you cancel anytime after you book then we reserve the right to retain 15% of the amount of the wedding.

So it looks like my next choice is cozumel because it will be the last stop.

• 5 months later...

Hi! I actually had the same worry about missing Caymans as my wedding is on March 15 2011 (The Valor 3/13/2011 cruise) and the Caymans is the first stop. I called and talked to Desiree at The Grand Old House and she said that if the stop was rescheduled, then she would do her best to rework it for us, it just would be at a different time depending on when we debarked. If it was cancelled overall, then we would forfeit our deposit.

Personally, based on my initial experiences with the Carnival wedding vendor, I'd rather risk it and lose my deposit than deal with that company and hate the process. They have absolutely terrible reviews all over the place and a horrible BBB rating.

Just my thoughts! Let me know what you end up doing. Also - I'd love to hear of anyone else who's gotten married at The Grand Old House!

Archived