New Orleans w/ 2 and 3 yr.old?

xop

Posted this concern on another site, but not getting much response there. We're leaving out of Mobile on a cruise and since New Orleans isn't too far I would like to visit there (hubby wanted to leave Mobile so he could see Alabama) I'm concerned w/ how narrow inside the shops look to be...we have a tandem stroller that is hard to navigate at times. Is New Orleans toddler friendly I guess is what I'm wondering? I'd hate to go there and not be able to go in the shops because of the bulky stroller. I'm interested in the French Quarter and the Garden District. We just like to walk, look around, eat, since the kids are still too little to do a whole lot. Thanks for any input.

We were there last month with our 3 year old in single stroller and there are some places that were difficult to navigate. I would assume a tandem stroller might even make it more difficult, but it's not impossible. There are some shops where it just would't work. Many people would say that it's not a place for kids, but really there is a lot for kids to do: zoo, aquarium, riverboat ride, carriage ride, Royal St, trolley ride and of course just taking in the sites. I wouldn't consider taking a stroller down Bourbon St. at night, but I do see others do it.

I would want to be back at our hotel by evening before dark. I'm mostly interested in just walking around during the day, looking at/in the shops, looking at the old houses, maybe a cemetary stroll (I don't find it morbid to visit cemetaries, but interesting) and seeing how much seafood I can eat in a couple days :D I'm just more worried about getting the kids around, and we'd stay away from the partiers and those areas. It's a toss up between N.O. or Destin, FL. No offense to anyone, but Destin just doesn't seem to interesting to me.

It sounds like you've never been to NOLA before. If that's the case, it is absolutely worth two hours out of your way to see it. You can do a carriage ride to the cemeteries and the kids would probably love riding on the carriage. If your stroller folds down, then it should be doable. We had an umbrella stroller that fit easily under the seats in the carriage. There are so many great places to eat. NOLA will always hold a special place in my heart as we were married there. If you want more info on great things to do with kids, the ports of call board always have a lot of good suggestions.

I haven't been to NOLA since my honeymoon, but it's historic - I don't think much will have changed, and you are right in thinking the shops are narrow.

I think umbrella strollers are the way to go. They're fairly inexpensive, and there are two of you. If you're used to carrying things in your bigger stroller, you may have to switch to a backpack or similar, but it's definitely doable, and you'll be able to go anywhere you want. :)

Is your tandem a double wide or front and back. That will make a difference. How about two umbrella strollers? One parent each pushes one? I'm just saying that because from what I have personally seen, the streets and stores are very narrow in the French Quarter and the buildings are very very old.

Come to N.O.! I live about 90 miles away and I have taken my kids there more times than I can count! There is plenty to do with the kiddos. I do agree that umbrella strollers are the way to go. Those double strollers really are hard to navigate and would be down right frustrating in some shops in the French Quarter. But come for a visit...you won't be disappointed.

So I broke the news to the hubby today that we are heading to N.O. and not Destin, FL. He took it very well, I thought there would be at least a small grumble but...nope... nothing (just wanted to know if he'd get to see boobies for beads...told him to put his beads away this is a boobie-free trip). At first I think he thought it was just a party town, but I've told him there's more to do than party. If the kids weren't coming then a party we would be looking for, but then again we're getting too old for that (he's 46 and I'm 39). I'm looking into 2 umbrella strollers to make it easier, and I'm so excited about visiting.

Archived