Akumal question

Toobar

Has anyone taken the ferry from Cozumel to PDC and then a cab from PDC to Akumal? My family and I would like to snorkle in Akumal and then hangout on the beach. How much is the ferry and cab ride? Any dive shop recomendations in Akumel? Am I better off booking a tour out of Cozumel? Any info would be appreciated

Has anyone taken the ferry from Cozumel to PDC and then a cab from PDC to Akumal? My family and I would like to snorkle in Akumal and then hangout on the beach. How much is the ferry and cab ride? Any dive shop recomendations in Akumel? Am I better off booking a tour out of Cozumel? Any info would be appreciated

In Nov 2009 the rate was 230 pesos plus tip (I paid $20 USD total) for the 3 of us one way from PDC to Akumal, the return was slightly different (different rate sheet/taxi union than at origin). I think it was about 10% higher on the return. (Both rates cover up to 4 people and are not per person)

e.t.a. - Certain popular taxi stands add a 20 peso or so markup, I hailed our driver off the street

e.t.a.#2 - I believe taxi's at the Calica port charge per person, while regular PDC taxis do not.

emphasis mine

Wow, have the rates doubled in 6 months, or is that rate round-trip?

Three years ago we grabbed a cab at Calica to Akumal and it was $30 for the 2 of us. A collectivo back to PDC was $3 pp. I wouldn't doubt the $50 was for one-way.:(

• 2 weeks later...
Three years ago we grabbed a cab at Calica to Akumal and it was $30 for the 2 of us. A collectivo back to PDC was $3 pp. I wouldn't doubt the $50 was for one-way.:(

Ah, therein lies the $$$. The price from Calica is MUCH higher (presumably due to "Port access fees" or some such) than the price from PDC, even though PDC is further away.

In other words:

If you are taking the ferry from Cozumel to PDC, the taxi fare from the PDC ferry dock to Akumal should be at the (cheaper) posted PDC rate, while if you're going to Akumal from your ship that is docked at Calica, you get to skip the ferry but will pay more for the taxi.

Also, can u rent a car at Calica? Can u do it in advance/reserve?

There is (or recently was) a car rental kiosk at the port, but be sure to read up on the perils (legal and other) of driving in Mexico before you decide on that route.

You may want to look into an outfit like Edventures, who took our group for one of the best days ever. The tours are $75 per adult, $60 for children under 10. That includes transportation to/from Calica, snorkel equipment, entrance fees to the cenote Dos Ojos, Yal ku lagoon, and the guide. The website says they have a van/bus that will hold 14 people.

I'm sure there are other good outfits there, but I'm comfortable recommending this outfit after our day with them.

There is (or recently was) a car rental kiosk at the port, but be sure to read up on the perils (legal and other) of driving in Mexico before you decide on that route.

You may want to look into an outfit like Edventures, who took our group for one of the best days ever. The tours are $75 per adult, $60 for children under 10. That includes transportation to/from Calica, snorkel equipment, entrance fees to the cenote Dos Ojos, Yal ku lagoon, and the guide. The website says they have a van/bus that will hold 14 people.

I'm sure there are other good outfits there, but I'm comfortable recommending this outfit after our day with them.

I've seen nothing but rave reviews on Edventures and would hire them before I would rent a car. If you wreck in Mexico it is YOUR fault. As snork said read up on the perils and definately by insurance.

BTW, Yal ku and Akumal should be on your list of stops.

• 1 month later...

Instead of taking a cab to Akumal you could either 1) take a colectivo which is around 4 blocks from where the ferry drops you off in PDC or 2) take the bus. We spent 8 nights in PDC and took the bus to Tulum one day and a colectivo to Akumal another day.

Archived