Advice on Naples stop please??

Hi,

One port I'm really undecided on is Naples. Whilst I would love to see Pompei, I have a feeling that the August heat & the amount of walking may be too much for my 3 children & my mother. So I am also considering getting the ferry to either Sorrento or Capri. There are 6 of us in our party, so a ships tour looks quite costly compared to DIY. So any recommendations with regards Sorrento over Capri, is Pompei really unmissable, is there much to see/do in Naples close to where the ship docks?? Any advice would be much appreciated :)

It will be warm and it was 40c when we went to Pompey June 3 years ago but there is shade (middle of the hottest June for years), and I suppose it depends on the age of the children and how mobile your mother is.

There is not a lot to see or do in Naples and crossing the road is like a white knuckle ride. Saying that myself and my husband were happy to wander around and sit and have a drink in one of the squares.

The ferry to Capri is next to where the ship docked but as you are going in August it will be very busy. Thompson excusion Sorrento on your own is £26 not sure of the child prices.

Hope this helps.

It will be warm and it was 40c when we went to Pompey June 3 years ago but there is shade (middle of the hottest June for years), and I suppose it depends on the age of the children and how mobile your mother is.

There is not a lot to see or do in Naples and crossing the road is like a white knuckle ride. Saying that myself and my husband were happy to wander around and sit and have a drink in one of the squares.

The ferry to Capri is next to where the ship docked but as you are going in August it will be very busy. Thompson excusion Sorrento on your own is £26 not sure of the child prices.

Hope this helps.

Naples is very hot, 38 D.Traffic is manic, would suggest a organised trip. but I would suspect this would be heavy going.If you do a trip to Pompei it's a bit of climb and expect hundreds of other tourists trying to get that special picture !

Steve

I've heard horror stories about the ferries to Capri and cruise passengers nearly not making it back in time for sailing.

Last time we were on board in Naples, I noticed there was an open top bus which left from just outside the port - we'd decided to have a day on board but next time I would do that to get a safe view of the city.

We loved the Pompei trip but it was hot and hard on the feet.

We were in Naples last August, and oooh yes - it was hot. We chose to DIY to Herculaneum rather than Pompeii - check it out, just as fascinating, just smaller. It was easy enough to get to from the ship via tram, then a few stops on the train. All research done on the net. It's also possible to get up to the Versuvius crater from Herculaneum, with many taxis trying to get your custom.

It's all just that little bit closer to the ship, therefore quite easy to get there and back to port in plenty of time.

However, would second the comments re. Naples roads / traffic..... crazeee ! :eek:

We were starting to get a bit worried about getting back to the ship as was sailing at 1800 and everyone had to be back by 1730, our tour giude (Barbara) said the ship would not sail if people were not on board, we were caught up in traffic,the ship phoned Barbara, loads and loads of lorries waiting for ferries all along the road, traffic was just crazy, any way we got back at 1730, but would have been interesting if we were late, Barbara might have have had a lot of guests staying at here house that night.

Steve

We did Herculaneum rather than Pompei as we were told it was much more interesting due to the fact that the buildings had been preserved by mud whereas Pompei was engulfed in lava resulting in most of the houses etc being burned to the ground. It was only a half day excursion costing around £32 each but as there was only the two of us we found it quite good value. It was certainly informative. Sorrento was rather a long day I believe Naples - nothing special. Would echo the comments on the traffic being manic. Never seen anything like it. How we managed to cross the road and get back alive beats me. Only nipped to the chemist for stomach tablets !

We did Herculaneum rather than Pompei as we were told it was much more interesting due to the fact that the buildings had been preserved by mud whereas Pompei was engulfed in lava resulting in most of the houses etc being burned to the ground. It was only a half day excursion costing around £32 each but as there was only the two of us we found it quite good value. It was certainly informative. Sorrento was rather a long day I believe Naples - nothing special. Would echo the comments on the traffic being manic. Never seen anything like it. How we managed to cross the road and get back alive beats me. Only nipped to the chemist for stomach tablets !

Can't remember exactly how much our DIY day ended up costing, certainly nothing like £32 a head. Tram / train was very cheap as was entrance into Herculaneum. We left the ship around 9.30, and were back in a bar just beside the port smiling at the traffic by around 3.30 - safe and sound.

Archived