Tauck Swiss Jewel !!!!

AWED23

• 2 months later...

To AWED23,

Hardly anyone posts on this Cruise Critic Board regarding Tauck. I suggest you go to Tauck's website and hit on "Ask and Share". You may be able to find someone going on your cruise there. We just returned from the Jewel in late July and just loved our Tauck experience.

Sheila

To AWED23,

Hardly anyone posts on this Cruise Critic Board regarding Tauck. I suggest you go to Tauck's website and hit on "Ask and Share". You may be able to find someone going on your cruise there. We just returned from the Jewel in late July and just loved our Tauck experience.

Sheila

I have been there and posted Sheila but it looks like that particular board averages only about 1 post every couple of days. It's not very chatty :p. Not like here.

Rod

Hi biddy belle,

Like Sheila I too would like to hear all about your trip. We're booked for September next year and anything and everything you can tell us about the boat, meals etc would be much appreciated.

Rod

I agree with the person who said the "Ask and Share" site doesn't get very many "hits". The Cruise Critic is much more active board. We are cruising with Tauck next May from the 11th thru the 23rd of May and are trying to find others who might be on the same cruise.

It will be our first riverboard experience. We just came off the Oasis of the Seas (6,200 passengers) on August 21st. We're ready for the smaller venue.

Don P.

Hi biddy belle,

We returned from our Basel to Amsterdam cruise on the Jewel the end of July. How did you like it? We really liked the ship, the service and the itinerary. We also had a lot of fun!!

Sheila

...Hi Sheila from LA....Since you just returned perhaps you can help me. When you toured the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam, do you remember if one of the local guides was named "JAN" ?...He is about 50, dark hair and average build, (5'10"- 175 lbs.)...Very personable and has a Masters in art history...I am hoping to see him when we are there on the Sept. 15 sailing....Do you have any input regarding the local guides in Amsterdam?...Thanks, Rob :D

Hi biddy belle,

Like Sheila I too would like to hear all about your trip. We're booked for September next year and anything and everything you can tell us about the boat, meals etc would be much appreciated.

Rod

This being our first river cruise, I can only speak to this boat, and it was quite nice. The crew was eager to please, food was beautifully presented and didn't disappoint. The four Tauck employees onboard were wonderful. That being said, weather issues and high water caused some problems. The sundeck was closed for at least half the trip. The boat would disembark passengers for tours and immediately resume sailing up the Danube, which made it impossible to do any independant touring.To Tauck's credit, they gave us all money for meals ashore, hosted several champagne brunches, and generally tried to overcome a disappointing situation. Can't say enough about their professionalism. We were really disappointed that the boat didn't dock within walking distance at most stops, causing some very long coach rides. Our expectations of sailing along sitting on deck and ambling around the towns to soak up the local atmosphere were not met. Another poster said river cruising wasn't their cup of tea, and we have to agree. However, we'd go on another tour , nonrivercruise, with Taulk in a heartbeat! They're a class act! One more thing: those cobblestones are murder, and expect alot of uphill walking. Good shoes, broken in, are a must!

Hi biddy belle,

So sorry to hear that water levels and weather impacted your enjoyment of your river cruise. I guess we were so lucky when we boarded the Jewel on July 10th. We had great weather for 12 days -- only rained once, but one never knows. Do try another of Tauck's tours. We've been on 13 other ones and their professionalism IS the best!!!

Sheila

To AWED23,

Sorry, but we didn't go to the Rijksmuseum with the group since we had been there before. We went to the new Russian Hermitage museum instead. You don't really need a guide in Amsterdam. It is sooooooooooo easy to do yourself. Get a Fodors guidebook (or other type) which has a map and you are all set. There is a small tour bus which picks you up at the port where the riverboats dock and takes you all the way into town to the Musiek Theater (which was two blocks from the Hermitage) for a nominal fee (I believe it was one Euro). We got on it You can get off wherever you want and pick it up again. I will try to locate the info in my travel documents. It even had a computerized map behind the driver which showed where the bus was in its travels. It was really cool.

Sheila

Thanks for the reply. We too have been in Amsterdam multiple times and to the many museums....Amsterdam/Schipol is our favorite gateway into europe...I guess I will just have to wait until boarding to see if Jan is one of the guides that Tauck uses.....Like you we, have enjoyed Tauck Tours many times and have never been disappointed...By any chance did you ever have "ED" as your tour director in England/Scotland/Wales..???...He was our first Tauck director in 1988 and still remains our favorite...You might remember his Cape....:D

Archived