"Smart Casual" in Europe

Happy4cruise

Hello,

My husband & I are on the July 3rd sailing of the Grand Princess out of Southampton. (Visiting Belgium, Denmark, Sweden, & Norway)

We noticed that there 2 formal nights and 5 "smart casual" for the dining rooms. My husband wants to know what most men wear on the "smart casual" evenings. In the Caribbean, with mostly American passengers and a warmer climate, many men wear open dress shirts (no tie) and some even short sleeve izod-type polo shirts. As this sailing will probably have more European passengers and a cooler climate, do more European men wear dress shirts with ties (& sport jackets) on "smart casual" evenings?

Thanks!

----Suzan

Europeans dress better than Americans in general but you DH will be fine in a polo shirt and chinos, or something like that. A jacket on "smart casual" evenings aren't necessary but if it's going to be cool, he might be more comfortable.

We were on the Ocean Princess for 31 days from Capetown to Dover and we had 4 formal nights and the rest were informal or "smart casual". The men tended to wear anything from a polo shirt to open neck shirt to a collar and tie. There was no set rule and everyone seemed comfortable in what they wore.

On some nights my husband wore a jacket to dinner as the dining room does tend to be cooler than some of the other lounges around the ship.

I find that in this day and age, there doesn't seem to be a set rule. In fact quite a few men wore jeans to dinner. I can remember that it was only a few years ago when would have been refused entry.

Jennie

Hello,

My husband & I are on the July 3rd sailing of the Grand Princess out of Southampton. (Visiting Belgium, Denmark, Sweden, & Norway)

We noticed that there 2 formal nights and 5 "smart casual" for the dining rooms. My husband wants to know what most men wear on the "smart casual" evenings. In the Caribbean, with mostly American passengers and a warmer climate, many men wear open dress shirts (no tie) and some even short sleeve izod-type polo shirts. As this sailing will probably have more European passengers and a cooler climate, do more European men wear dress shirts with ties (& sport jackets) on "smart casual" evenings?

Thanks!

----Suzan

Hi Suzan,

Your hubby will be fine in trousers (not shorts) and an open neck shirt (no tie) or polo shirt, or something along those lines. No need for a jacket on smart casual nights, unless he wants to waear one. My DH wears polo shirts in the day so he will change into a shirt for the evening - either long sleeves or short sleeves. He even wears his colourful shirt that he got from the caribbean, usually on the last evening!

Have a lovely cruise.

Hiya

I'm on the Grand on the 3rd as well, not long to go now!! Your hubbie will be fine in trousers and open shirt. Would not be able to get mine to wear a tie 7 nights running in a million years!

Weather at the moment is beautiful there, so lets hope the sun keeps shining for us :)

Archived