Warning - London to Genoa Flight With Ryanair

MikeWitte

Please note that the flights between Genoa and London with Ryanair may appear to be cheap and convenient but you have a very small baggage allowance. This is only 15kg (33lb) checked bags per passenger, and a 10kg (22lb) max on one item of cabin baggage.

Any more than that and they WILL charge you $9 per kg. Its how they make a profit.

There is no point booking 2 seats as they won't give you the extra baggage allowance for the second seat.

Also the airport they go to in London is a long way east from the main Heathrow and Gatwick airports and it isn't quick or easy to transfer between them.

Sorry folks meant to mention the website which finds you the cheapest ryanair flights,

http://*****.co.uk/ryanairmse/new.php

its amazing how much they can vary even on the same day.

There are flights from London to Genoa on there from 99p ($2) plus taxes!

Not too sure about booking with a non british credit card though, maybe its OK if not get a friend to do it for you if they have one - come on you must have ONE British friend if you are a regular cruiser?

Just watch that weight!

Hi Mike:

I booked my Ryanair flight Stansted-Genoa last October directly on the Ryanair website with absolutely no problem using a Canadian bank issued credit card. I too had to pay excess luggage charges, 15kg really isn't very much. However the airfare sure was a bargain. I remember seeing an early morning flight at 25p.

• 4 years later...

do we have enough time if the ship will arrive at Genoa at 10:00 am and how far is the airport ? the flight from Ryan air is 13:20pm from Genoa to London. Please help as it is the first time to Europe with my family.

I wouldn't advise anyone to use ryanair for a cruise holiday. They are fine for a quick cheapie weekender with hand luggage only, but for anything else, they are not such a bargain.

They often use outlying airports, although I think Genoa is one of the exceptions. Also, the initial price you see excludes taxes, fees & charges, excludes even your basic 15kg baggage allowance, (about £30) excludes the fee for paying via credit/debit card & online check in isn't available for any of their flights if you have luggage.

Instead I always check out BA. They open their flights for booking about 354 days in advance and include flights to central airports, (Gatwick for example), all taxes fees & charges, a 23kg luggage allowance, no charge for payment via debit card, online check-in & in flight refreshments. Flights to Genoa are currently running in the region of £45 each way..at least for the dates I checked.

do we have enough time if the ship will arrive at Genoa at 10:00 am and how far is the airport ? the flight from Ryan air is 13:20pm from Genoa to London. Please help as it is the first time to Europe with my family.

This is a bit tight I think as you cannot check in online with ryanair with luggage, but don't panic, you have options.

You can either book a car and ask at reception, showing your flight ticket to be in an early group to leave. Or, you can book an MSC transfer at the shore excursions desk once onboard. I believe the journey time to the airport (Is it Christopher Columbus?) is about 20 to 30 minutes.

I saw a post somewhere where Heinbloed posted the debarkation times for his sailing on the Fantasia. Your ship or itinerary may be different, but it least it will give you an idea of timings. I'll have a look and pop back with it if I can find it.

I think I found what I was looking for.

I was mistaken as he doesn't actually give the times, but this post does show the order of debarkation. Ryanair isn't included as a flight on the transfer list but by showing your ticket, you should be able to book an early transfer.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=17812572&postcount=20

I've also taken the liberty of copying & pasting part of another of HeinBloed's posts which you may find helpful.

You'll get the list of the color tags two nights before debarkation.

Subject you get a very late one like Grey 1, you just go to a steward on the deck with the first individual guests: so most guest on Deck 13 get the lowest number and ask a steward if he can help you with some labels (some tipping will help)

OR

you just go to the reception desk and ask for MORE Red 1 labels. We just asked for 3 more and none has asked to show us the others we had or our cabin no.... Pssst....

I really hope you don't mind me quoting you HeinBloed.

I've always used BA and found them far more relaible and they are very reasonable if you are bringing a second case. For example, the last time I flew back from genoa to Edinburgh via London gatwick the only charged £32 for another 23 kg luggage allowance on top of the standard 23kg you get auatomatically. they also have no weight limit on hand luggage. If it si within the measurements and you can carry it, then you can bring it on the plane with you.

On my next cruise I'm departing from genoa and going BA again - this time MSC did a deal and provided the return flights from Edinburgh with the cruise for only £99 return. i'll probably not be buying extra allowance this time as it is only a 7 day cruise and hopefully will manage to keep within that.

It is a known fact here in the UK that Ryan Air is cheap and cheerful but

they have a habit of not been reliable and can canx a flight at a minutes

notice. Fares are not transferable to another airline and if a flight cancelled you will get monies paid back no compensation and then have to fork out heafty fare on another airline.

However, if you do book Ryan air make sure you book a day before embarkation to at least give you some leway in case of a hitch in your travel arrangements.

Genoa airport is not that far from cruise ship, 20 to 30 min is a good approximate, shouldn`t be any longer to that. Its also not a large airport making it easier in & out. My last trip leaving Genoa to connect at Malpensa, Aliitalia cancels last minute & takes us by bus. Almost missed connection to Conatinental. Taxi I remember was also reasonable.

Archived