trailer trash vacations

I have cruised 50 times. More than 1.5 years at sea all told. Upscale lines as well as mainstream lines. One cruise was $6800.00 for an oceanview room. 15 cruises on Carnival. Why? More bang for the buck. But then I'm not successful. I just book all the cruises on credit cards and change my name a lot!!

Sometimes its difficult to do posts as erroneous as the one that I'm reading.

As long as you can smoke.

13 cruises from 2005-2010 and 3 more booked.

US Navy 1970-1993

I cruise the seas not the internet.

I thinnk the "co-worker" of the OP was rude...and I would have happily told her where to go

and maybe this was a bit funny for a little while

Then it evolved into a reverse bragging "I'm educated, lots of money and choose to cruise Carnival"

however....when you think about it, this is pretty unkind to people /cruisers who do live in moblie/manufactured homes

where I live (southflorida) there are hardly any left (hurricaines, building codes)....BUT I am sure that in some parts of the country they are a viable and economic option. They make some nice ones today

Calling people "trailer trash" can be hurtful (racist?)

and even if you thought it was funny it is getting less funy and more ugly as this goes on

This really is not all that funny...the sock on a stick is ugly. For a few of you who seem to have "banded" together here over this it might be funny but unless you only post on this thread what about when new people see your sig lines what will they think??

And what will people think when/if the "sock" people post on other board....like the family board, or the port of call board ?? Seeing that "trailer trash" junk and picture won't give a very good impression JMO

As for myself, I like Carnival but it is a company not a sorority or fraternity or blood brothers to the end. Bonding over a sock and "trailer" jokes on a message board??

however....when you think about it, this is pretty unkind to people /cruisers who do live in moblie/manufactured homes

where I live (southflorida) there are hardly any left (hurricaines, building codes)....BUT I am sure that in some parts of the country they are a viable and economic option. They make some nice ones today

I'm always surprised how people can toss off words like "trailer trash" or "ghetto-rific" with so little thought as to the actual meaning and implications of those words.

This really is not all that funny...the sock on a stick is ugly. For a few of you who seem to have "banded" together here over this it might be funny but unless you only post on this thread what about when new people see your sig lines what will they think??

It looks like a part of a woman's anatomy that I dare not mention lest I get wished into the cornfield.

Not funny. Much like dirty underwear left on the floor.

Like i said i am new to the boards and only cruised Carnival once. The OP was saying her friend called all the lower class lines trashy...so i don't think its about Carnival in general. My grandfather lived in Ft. Lauderdale Florida in a trailer and so did my Dad when he was alive. So i don't think there is any disrespect coming from this post. As i read a few posts i see alot bothers people on these boards...they seem to like to ruffle feathers so to speak. To the original post i think your friend is a bit overboard in her statements about cruising.

Of course there is. People want to "own" the trailer trash stereotype as a right to engage in "trashy" behavior. (It's interesting that these people also want to tout their education and income levels.) It's called a self-fulfilling prophecy. It's just like every Philadelphia sports fan uses the snowballing of Santa Claus to act like a total jerk when down at the stadiums. And people like to get worked up over stuff. It makes the day go by. It gives them a reason to post here.

But yes, I do agree that the OP's friend needs to spend some actual time in a trailer park and a little less time watching COPS to understand exactly what trailer park life is like. The OP's friend should actually consider taking a "mainstream" cruise as well to experience it before commenting.

Then if you have to money to go on that type of cruise than go. Hell why not buy a yacht with a personal waiter. Like I said you make your vacation not the people or the price.

I have a yacht(64' Hatteras)...with a captain and mate. However, it is currently in Costa Rica. We travel many places on her and my captain takes the boat to any destination we tell him to. I'd much rather be on the Ditch Digger but wife wants to go on a cruise.

I thinnk the "co-worker" of the OP was rude...and I would have happily told her where to go

and maybe this was a bit funny for a little while

Then it evolved into a reverse bragging "I'm educated, lots of money and choose to cruise Carnival"

Calling people "trailer trash" can be hurtful (racist?)

and even if you thought it was funny it is getting less funy and more ugly as this goes on

And what will people think when/if the "sock" people post on other board....like the family board, or the port of call board ?? Seeing that "trailer trash" junk and picture won't give a very good impression JMO

As for myself, I like Carnival but it is a company not a sorority or fraternity or blood brothers to the end. Bonding over a sock and "trailer" jokes on a message board??

Great post!

I am new to the boards and took only one cruise on Carnival so far and had so much fun! Never met someone onboard with this attitude. I was just skimming over posts and this caught my eye. This person male or female must not like interaction with the general public....oh well more room for me on my next cruise with Carnival and nice to know this person won't be on the ship!

Not huge on "interaction with the public" unless I have things in common with the "public" of which you speak.

Like i said i am new to the boards and only cruised Carnival once. The OP was saying her friend called all the lower class lines trashy...so i don't think its about Carnival in general.

I believe the OP's friend was speaking about all cruising. Her one and only experience was on HAL!!

I find it interesting how anything associated with lower class automatically gets attached to CCL. A shame really, considering my worse cruise to date concerning annoying, rude, and incredibly drunk and badly behaved passengers has been on RCCL. But thats the nice thing about having choices, there is a product for everyone and you find the place you feel comfortable and enjoy it. No need to bash the others because its not a fit for you.

I find it interesting how anything associated with lower class automatically gets attached to CCL.

Allow me to posit an alternative theory. Certain of CCL's customers embrace this identity because they want to be seen as Johnny Goodtimedrinksalotwoooo.

As long as you can smoke.

13 cruises from 2005-2010 and 3 more booked.

US Navy 1970-1993

I cruise the seas not the internet.

"As long as you can smoke"

What does that mean?? I don't smoke.

I've actually had someone to make a similar comment to me about Carnival. They took one cruise on Carnival and then on RCL and decided that they would continue with RCL. I don't agree that Carnival is "Trailer Park" of vacations. We have had a wonderful time on Carnival twice and will return again for more. We have been able to enjoy quite affordable, quite enjoyable cruise vacations on Carnival. Don't listen to that garbage and continue to enjoy yourself on the "Fun Ship."

The whole world is stereotyped. Unfortunately, many people are biased against Carnival or cruising in general (either out of ignorance or a bad experience). All we are saying (the frequent posters) is that if people choose to call us that, so be it. We are comfortable with ourselves and our lifestyles and we are "embracing" our label and poking a little fun at it.

I have lived in a 22 year old mobile home for 5 years. It is in a mobile home park, not on private land. There are all types of people that I call neighbors. Some fit the "stereotype" others are just people like us.

I guess I'm a self-fullfiling prophecy like you said, because I am college educated and choose to live in a mobile home.... AND I WANT THE WORLD TO KNOW IT!!!!! Who cares?!

So sharecruises, why is meeting great people on a forum and "bonding" over a sock an issue for you? We have a common interest. If you think it's stupid, don't participate. People united over a common bond can share that bond for a lifetime. Sharing your life with other people is what life is all about. Do you pick your friends by pictures and words in a signature? Or by what they find funny? Or by where they live? There are all different basis' for choosing people you interact with.

KChesneyfan, I hope you read most of the posts on this thread. I don't want you to get the wrong idea about CC. We are all trying to have a good time. And yes, there are some great people on CC so I hope you do find a common "bond" with them. :D

[quote=Cruisin'Allie;25110701]
I guess I'm a self-fullfiling prophecy like you said, because I am college educated and choose to live in a mobile home.... AND I WANT THE WORLD TO KNOW IT!!!!! Who cares?!

[/quote]

I don't think you understand what a self-fulfilling prophesy is. It means you live down to the stereotype despite transcending it. You use it to justify your stereotypical behavior even though you obviously don't fit and many would say live better than what the stereotype is.

And I really don't care if you live in a mobile home or not. I really don't care if you're college educated. I just think that sock-thing is tacky as heck (which I'm sure is your intent) so I turned off my signatures so I don't have to look at it. Win-win.

[quote name='LemurCat']I'm always surprised how people can toss off words like "trailer trash" or "ghetto-rific" with so little thought as to the actual meaning and implications of those words.

It looks like a part of a woman's anatomy that I dare not mention lest I get wished into the cornfield.

Not funny. Much like dirty underwear left on the floor.[/quote]

I ever wake up next to a woman with genatalia that even remotely looks that thing, I will be switching over to the other side faster than you can say Liberace *LOL*

[quote name='sharecruises']Then it evolved into a reverse bragging "I'm educated, lots of money and choose to cruise Carnival"

however....when you think about it, [B]this is pretty unkind to people /cruisers who do live in moblie/manufactured homes[/B][/quote]

I'm truly sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings - I was trying to point out to a specific very persistent poster (probably a troll) that Carnival is a CHOICE for most who sail that line. The person was being snobby and rude - assuming that Carnival cruisers are poor and unintelligent. And those two things are absolutely unrelated, and actually totally irrelevant. I've met some very wealthy people who are dumber than a rock! And so what if some of the cruisers are not rich - unwealthy people deserve vacations, undoubtedly more than most rich folk do. A cruise can be a very inexpensive vacation, while still wonderful and pampering - that's why I love to cruise!

I grew up on a farm in a small town and have worked very hard to further myself. My mom worked FT when I was a kid so we'd have money to pay bills, so my childhood was spent on the tractor with Daddy. My folks didn't have the money to put me thru college, but they made too much for me to get free money, so I had debt up to my yingyang that took years to pay off.

I actually don't "advertise" or brag on a general basis - when we meet new friends, I try to make sure they know us very well before we invite them to our house, because I do NOT want to make them uncomfortable or have them think differently of me. We cut coupons, only buy stuff on sale, etc. "A dollar saved is a dollar earned" is the motto around here! I personally hate the term trailer trash, as most of the trashy people I have met (not many, thank goodness!) have boatloads of money and think they're god's gift to this earth.

Again - my sincere apologies to anyone I offended!

Archived