What to do in Riga, Latvia

I came across a website for Riga Out There which is an internet travel agency for the Baltic states. It has some interesting information that leaves me a little concerned about our port visit there. Does anyone know of any safety issues we may have? This website lists places that are not tourist friendly and will actually try to cheat customers as well as come up with inflated bogus bills. This site also gives tourists some dos and donts when visiting. They also have a variety of tours that seem somewhat reasonable. I caught that there is at least in one section a connection with the British government. Does anyone know if it does?

I have no way of knowing if this is a legitimate operation or not. I know there is at least one person who reads these posts from Riga. Perhaps I could get an answer there.

This site does give information about many sites and things to do (even one on curling) but would like some info about what would be recommended. We amy be on museum overload by the time we get to Riga and St. Petersburg will be yet to come.

Thanks a lot!

Pearl

Hi there!

Welcome to Riga! It is a really great city! Easy to get around, and most of the main attractions is actually in a walkable distance from the cruise harbour. Here you can see a video from where the cruise ships normally docks in Riga:

I been using Riga Out There couple of times for corporate events, and was pleased about what they offered.

So, what NOT to miss in Riga:

Museum of the Occupation of Riga

http://www.occupationmuseum.lv/

Vecriga (Old Town/Old Riga):

http://www.riga.lv/media/VecrigaInfo/en.html

Central Market:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riga_Central_Market

Alberta Iela (Alberta Iela):

Just tell me if its something that I can help you with! Will be happy to help!

Again - Welcome to Riga!

Thank you so much, Norwegian lativian! Thank you for the information. The occcupation museum looks very interesting as does the Central Market. You are saying that both of these are walkable from the cruise ship? Supposedly we are docking at Andresajla 3-4. Does that change anything as far as transportation to get to where we want to be?

We are excited to learn about Latvia as we know very little about your country right now. I did get some lats so we can get into town without using the ship's ATM. We have about 5 hours to see things in Riga.

Again, thank you for your help. There does not seem to be a lot out there by those who have been to Riga on cruise ships.

Pearl

My pleasure to help!

As long as you got a normal health, then all of these things are within walkable distance. If you want to use taxi, then try to use the green Air Baltic taxis - these are safe.

Keep an extra eye at your purse/wallet at the Central Market. I know at least two tourists that has lost their wallet here..

10 LVL is at the moment aprox. 20 US Dollars. :

Two other "need to see" places:

The Freedom monument:

The Nativity Cathedral:

Archived