Quilting Shops

na44

I have heard a rumor that there are some good quilting shops in the ports on Alaska cruises. I am going with my mother who is a big quilter and would love to see what was offered. Our ports are Juneau, Skagway, Victoria. Can anyone suggest anything?

Thank you! And Happy Cruising!

I have heard a rumor that there are some good quilting shops in the ports on Alaska cruises. I am going with my mother who is a big quilter and would love to see what was offered. Our ports are Juneau, Skagway, Victoria. Can anyone suggest anything?

Thank you! And Happy Cruising!

I was about to post the exact same thing! We're renting a car in Juneau and Anchorage, so I figure those are my best ports to drive around to find a quilt shop. My goal is to find some fabric that has an Alaska theme that I can put together a memory quilt with pictures from this cruise. It's for our 30th wedding anniversary, so it's kind of a special trip.

If nothing else, I may just google quilt store for each port and see where they are. If anyone has any past experience for stores, I would also love to hear it.

In our own experience the national JoAnn's fabric selling chain stores in Anchorage have plenty of Alaska themed fabric. They also sell a better range of fleece products than I can get in Texas. In Anchorage check out also Quilt Tree and Arctic Needle. Quilting is a passion in Alaska.

You can send a lot of fabric home in a US Post Office flat rate box.

In our own experience the national JoAnn's fabric selling chain stores in Anchorage have plenty of Alaska themed fabric. They also sell a better range of fleece products than I can get in Texas. In Anchorage check out also Quilt Tree and Arctic Needle. Quilting is a passion in Alaska.

You can send a lot of fabric home in a US Post Office flat rate box.

Hey thanks! That was kind of what I was thinking. Since we're renting a car in both Juneau and Anchorage, I figured if I went crazy shopping, we could just go to the post office and ship the stuff home. Glad to hear that JoAnn's has a good supply of Alaska themed fabrics. As a school employee here, I have a 15% discount card. Hopefully it works in Alaska too! I can't wait!

There's a small quilting/fabric shop downtown in Juneau. If you go out to the Valley, there's a Joann's fabric store and there's a really nice quilt shop called Rain Tree with some nice Alaska quilt patterns for applique. I'm not sure where they are now, as I know they moved.

In Skagway there were two Quilt shops on 3 rd st. One was named Rush-in Tailor not sure of the other one but it was next door. They also had benches outside for us non quilters. They both had Alaska themed prints and kits with all the prints in them. The wife got some from both. The post office is up the street if you will be mailing them home. Skagway is easy to walk the town. Roly

I just returned from 14 day Alaskan cruise and found a quilt shop in almost every port.

Ketchican - The Silver Thimble, upstairs at 5 Salmon Landing Market, ste. 204

Sitka - Abby's Reflection & Quiltworks 231 Lincoln St.

www.abbysreflection.com; Sitka has a "Sitka" fabric that can only be bought in Sitka. It is a yard between repeats.

Skagway - Rushin'Tailor's 370 Third Ave.

www.changingthreads.com, www.quiltalaska.com

Kodiak - Flying Geese Fabrics & Quilts 202 Center Ave., Ste. 320

Anchorage - The Quilted Raven 650 W. 4th Ave

Juneau - Changing Tides (upstairs in the Senate Mall Building) 175 S. Franklin, ste. 203

There were some scrapbooking materials in many of the touristy souvenir shops. I found stamp blocks in Hearthside Books & Toys at 254 Front St. in Juneau and also at the gift store in the US Post Office 145 S. Franklin. They look like totem pole art and were $7-8 each.

Also, onboard the Amsterdam, there was a card-making class offered in the Culinary Arts lounge and supplies were free (one packet per guest) with enough to make two cards.

I just returned from 14 day Alaskan cruise and found a quilt shop in almost every port.

Ketchican - The Silver Thimble, upstairs at 5 Salmon Landing Market, ste. 204

Sitka - Abby's Reflection & Quiltworks 231 Lincoln St.

www.abbysreflection.com; Sitka has a "Sitka" fabric that can only be bought in Sitka. It is a yard between repeats.

Skagway - Rushin'Tailor's 370 Third Ave.

www.changingthreads.com, www.quiltalaska.com

Kodiak - Flying Geese Fabrics & Quilts 202 Center Ave., Ste. 320

Anchorage - The Quilted Raven 650 W. 4th Ave

Juneau - Changing Tides (upstairs in the Senate Mall Building) 175 S. Franklin, ste. 203

What an awesome list! Good thing my husband doesn't mind going to fabric stores with me. I can't wait to see what all of these stores have to offer. Thanks so much!

I love this thread! I hobby-quilt and have a lot of fun doing it. My in-laws are taking us on an Alaskan cruise in September...I never would have thought of it, but now I'd love to make my MIL a thank-you quilt as a momento.

Thank you guys for all of the info!

I've been scrolling through several of the websites for these quilt shops. To help streamline my shopping, I've already started a list in my phone of several of the fabrics and items I want to make sure I get.

REALLY looking forward to all of these quilt shops!

I asked my Mum before I left was there anything she wanted me to bring back, and as always her answer was fabric. I was able to get her some Alaskan prints from the Changing Tides store in Juneau, there was a good selection and was just up the main street from the port.

Archived