Rosyth to Edinburgh city centre question

Can anyone let me know what the approximate cost is to get a taxi from Rosyth to Edinburgh and back again as just trying to weigh up if it is worth using the ships transport which would cost $36 each return or would we be better off taking a taxi as there are 4 of us?

I have seen in other posts that it is also possible to take the train so would be grateful on any advice on this option as an alternative.

Thanks,

Tracey

Can anyone let me know what the approximate cost is to get a taxi from Rosyth to Edinburgh and back again as just trying to weigh up if it is worth using the ships transport which would cost $36 each return or would we be better off taking a taxi as there are 4 of us?

I have seen in other posts that it is also possible to take the train so would be grateful on any advice on this option as an alternative.

Thanks,

Tracey

Are you going on Fred Olsen???

They offered a complimentary shuttle from Inverkeithing station when went on BOUDICCA in August 2009.

Regards

HeinBloed

Take the train from Inverkeithing station, frequent service, taxi there if you have to. The train whisks you in to the middle of Edinburgh at Waverley station (unless you particularly want to get off at Haymarket). Traffic in Edinburgh is the pits. So is traffic across the bridge, it can get backed up quite badly. You didn't want to miss the ship, did you?

Thanks for the responses, we are sailing with Cunard so at this stage have no idea if there will be a shuttle to get a train. If not we will get a cab to Inverkeithing as suggested.

I think we will opt for the train which sounds like a safer bet than getting a taxi into Edinburgh itself.

Thanks,

Tracey:)

Thanks for the responses, we are sailing with Cunard so at this stage have no idea if there will be a shuttle to get a train. If not we will get a cab to Inverkeithing as suggested.

I think we will opt for the train which sounds like a safer bet than getting a taxi into Edinburgh itself.

Thanks,

Tracey:)

I am a little surprised.

Cunard normally does not call Rosyth (only Fred Olsen and if am remember correctly Cruise and Maritime.).

The Cunarders normally call South Queensferry. According to their website you are calling on Friday, July 30, South Queensferry which is on the same river side as Edinburgh.

Regards

HeinBloed

Hi Heinloed,

I have just checked the website and the Voyage personaliser and it definetely says Rosyth hence the reason for asking.

Where did you see it on the website as docking at South Queensferry?

Thanks,

Tracey

Hi Heinloed,

I have just checked the website and the Voyage personaliser and it definetely says Rosyth hence the reason for asking.

Where did you see it on the website as docking at South Queensferry?

Thanks,

Tracey

I am not sure if you have access to this website from the UK:

http://www.cunard.de/kplaner/KS/index.php?ID=376&VesselCode=QV&AreaCode=NWE&Month=201007&Nights=&PageNo=1

Maybe has been changed...

Regards

HeinBloed

How odd!

it seems that your website link which is the German version is different from the UK one, very bizare indeed!!

I can feel a quick call to Cunard coming on to double check.

Thanks again,

Tracey:D

Your ship will most likely dock at the Ferry Terminal in Rosyth. From there to the train station is quite a ways. If you Google Map the area, you can see what is involved. You could take two busses to get to the station or even all the way into Edinburgh, but the logistics are not that easy.

I would opt for a taxi.

IF YOU ARE LOGGED ON you can SEARCH THIS FORUM (British Isles) with the word Rosyth. You can also do the same by using S Queensferry. All previous threads which contain the word will pop up in the results and you can read them and find the info you need. There should be extensive info ontransferring from both locations to Edinburgh.

You can also use the SEARCH THIS FORUM on all other boards. It is an excellent way to get lots of info on a particular place.

Usually the "bigger girls" go to S Queensferry and tender from there as they cannot get under the bridges unless they have retractable masts, but ultimately it is the Port Authority which decides which ship goes where.

HEINBLOED, we docked at Rosyth on HAL Prinsendam 2 years ago and US cruise friends docked there last month on Ocean Princess. And when some friends were tendering from S Queensferry last year, opposite them and docked at Rosyth was a German cruise ship.

I think who goes where is determined by the sizes of the ships calling that particular day, and whether or not they can navigate under the bridges.

Archived