BEVERAGES/ALCOHOL - Need Updates

I like to share info with my family and friends but I know the information I have is in desperate need of some updating (went back to school and haven't had much time to spend on here). Please look through and tell me what has changed as it relates to "Beverages/Alcohol". I will post other "sections" as I get a chance (like Internet / Camp / Food choices, Etc.) Some of the info is REALLY OLD (like me). Thanks in advance - everyone here is alwasy so helpful.

BEVERAGES/ALCOHOL

· The soda of choice is Coke products. No Dr. Pepper or Pepsi.

· If you like a particular soda or don’t drink enough to constitute purchasing a card, then I suggest you bring your own. Pack a 6, 12 or 24 pack in a box and send it through with your luggage. Resealable bottles work best. Be sure to put a luggage tag on it and write your cabin number in large numbers on the side.

· We also take our own water. They have large bottles in your room and will charge you for them (about $3.00 for a liter). It’s nice to have small bottles to take off the ship. We also take a soft-sided cooler (packs well) to keep our drinks cold.

· I take the individual Crystal Light packets and use one water bottle throughout the cruise to mix, refilling it at the fountain.

· You can carry on a bottle or two of wine or champagne. Remember the corkscrew. It states in the booklet that you can bring the wine to the dining room but there is a $10.00 corkage fee. I have never met anyone who has ever been charge this fee – so be prepared. It might help (to avoid the charge) if you slip the waiter a little something when you ask him to uncork it.

· Ask your bar server about the Fountain Fun Cards. Fountain Fun Cards are priced accordingly with the length of the cruise and are available for both children and adults. Currently (as of 3/08) an adult card is $6 per day and children are $4.50. I think the general rule is if you plan to drink at least 3 or more cans of soda per day you can come out ahead with the Fountain Fun Card. A15% gratuity is added to the purchase of the card and it must be purchased for the entire length of the cruise. If you purchase the cards while still in port you MIGHT get charged local tax also.

· The drink card includes specialty drinks for the kiddies – such as a Roy Rogers or Shirley Temple.

· There is free Lemonade, ice tea, water and juices available through the dispensers located on the Lido deck - self-service.

· Bring a thermos style hot/cold mug with a lid and fill with coffee, ice tea, or lemonade. Works great for coffee in the morning or a cold beverage while lounging at the pool.

· 15% of the drink bill is automatically added to Sail & Sign which you may adjust appropriate to the service received.

· Buckets of four beers in ice are available. This option provides a per-beer price break. Ask a server or bartender.

· Occasionally some bars offer "Happy Hour" with slightly reduced prices.

· Some mornings some bars offer "Early Specials" on Bloody Marys, Screwdrivers, Tequila Sunrises, etc.

· Special drinks and call brands are available at the Captain's Cocktail Party and the Past Guest Party. Guests may make a request through a server. The drink is still free, but since the server and the bartender have to go a little out of their way to accommodate such a request I suggest considering a cash tip for the service.

· Through Carnivals Gift page on the web you can purchase alcohol drink coupons, 4 for $21.25 or 4 soda coupons for $7.75. These include the tip. If you order name brand liquor they may ask for you to make up the difference. If you hand them the coupon with a buck tip they seem to forget about the difference.

· Fun Ship Card Program (Drink of the Day Deal) Effective 12/15/2008

Program details subject to change at any time. Program is subject to cancellation at any time. Fun Ship Cards, which allow the purchase of multiple Daily Specials/Tropical Cocktails at a discounted price, are available for purchase by guests on all cruises from all bar locations.· The "Fun Ship Card" is a discount card which allows the guest an opportunity to enjoy a variety of daily tropical drink specials at a discounted price.· The Fun Ship Card is sold for $23.00 + 15% gratuity. With the card, the guest will receive: 1 Daily Special Tropical Cocktail served in a Souvenir Hurricane Glass (first drink ordered with the card) 4 Daily Special Tropical Cocktails served in standard glass. The Fun Ship Card is sold in all bar locations. The Fun Ship Cards may be purchased anytime during the cruise. The Fun Ship Card has 5 drink glasses printed on the back. One of the printed drink glasses will be punched for each drink ordered. The card is no longer valid when all five printed drink glasses are punched.· The Fun Ship Card may be presented at any bar location or the main dining room to receive an included daily Tropical Cocktail.· Tropical Cocktails may be redeemed all at once or one at a time.· There are no refunds for unused cards/punches. Daily Special Tropical Cocktails included in the card are:

· Fun Ship Special

· Bahama Mama

· Riviera Delight

· Yellow Bird

· Caribbean Breeze

· Goombay Smash

· Blue Margarita

· A “Monkeyhead” can be purchased for $14.95, refills $5.95

· Carnival also sells a specialty coffee card. $11.50 + 15% gratuity gets you 5 regular-sized coffee beverages from the coffee bar - things such as cafe mochas and other $4-6 range drinks. Again, if you purchase the first day while in port you MAY get charged local sales tax.

ONBOARD DRINK PRICES (SUBJECT TO CHANGE)

Guests must be 21 or older in order to be served alcohol onboard. Proper I.D. is required. Age is determined at time of boarding. If someone celebrates their 21st birthday onboard they are still considered to be 20 years old for alcohol purchases.

The Fun Ship: $6.95, Refills $5.95

Try this exotic invention consisting of Amaretto, rum, vodka, apricot brandy and juices. The distinctive 15-oz. Glass is yours to keep as a remembrance of your cruise. Souvenir glass and refills are served only on the outer decks. FYI: Souvenir glass is plastic.

I know some of the pricing may have changed, but didn't pay enough attention to things to know by how much.

The big changes I see are that soda/bottled water you bring with you is now limited to a 12 pack per person and must be carried on. They don't allow you to put it in checked luggage any more or stick a luggage tag on it and give to the porters (officially - I'm sure plenty of people still do it but others get called to the naughty room to open their luggage and verify it's not alcohol or have it taken until the last night.) You can carry on one bottle of wine per adult over 21.

Also - no more free drinks at the Captain's party. They are a $1.00 off happy hour. There is now a farewell party the last night with free drinks - not well advertised, poorly attended (who wants to drink the last night when you are trying to pack your stuff up and get to dinner) and was BORING imho. I really disliked the new Captain's party format that was spread out all over the ship with very little seating. I thought it lacked the dignity and respect of the old style and didn't seem much different than any other night at a bar as opposed to the old, festive feeling "welcome to your cruise" atmosphere. I wish they'd bring it back, even without free drinks.

I think the card for the drink of the day specials is gone as well.

beverages/alcohol

· the soda of choice is coke products. No dr. Pepper or pepsi.

· if you like a particular soda or don’t drink enough to constitute purchasing a card, then i suggest you bring your own. Pack a 6, 12 or 24 pack in a box and send it through with your luggage. Resealable bottles work best. Be sure to put a luggage tag on it and write your cabin number in large numbers on the side. i belive you are limited to 12 per person brought aboard in your carry-on luggage

· we also take our own water. They have large bottles in your room and will charge you for them (about $3.00 for a liter). It’s nice to have small bottles to take off the ship. We also take a soft-sided cooler (packs well) to keep our drinks cold.

· i take the individual crystal light packets and use one water bottle throughout the cruise to mix, refilling it at the fountain.

· you can carry on a bottle or two of wine or champagne. Remember the corkscrew. It states in the booklet that you can bring the wine to the dining room but there is a $10.00 corkage fee. I have never met anyone who has ever been charge this fee – so be prepared. It might help (to avoid the charge) if you slip the waiter a little something when you ask him to uncork it. policy is 1 750ml bottle per person, brought aboard in your carry on luggage

· ask your bar server about the fountain fun cards. Fountain fun cards are priced accordingly with the length of the cruise and are available for both children and adults. Currently (as of 3/08) an adult card is $6 per day and children are $4.50. I think the general rule is if you plan to drink at least 3 or more cans of soda per day you can come out ahead with the fountain fun card. A15% gratuity is added to the purchase of the card and it must be purchased for the entire length of the cruise. If you purchase the cards while still in port you might get charged local tax also.

· the drink card includes specialty drinks for the kiddies – such as a roy rogers or shirley temple.

· there is free lemonade, ice tea, water and juices available through the dispensers located on the lido deck - self-service. the better juice selection is with breakfast only - fill your own mug and bring back to the room is you want some for later or order some from room service for breakfast

· bring a thermos style hot/cold mug with a lid and fill with coffee, ice tea, or lemonade. Works great for coffee in the morning or a cold beverage while lounging at the pool.

· 15% of the drink bill is automatically added to sail & sign which you may adjust appropriate to the service received. not sure about adjusting it *lower* but you can certainly add to it

· buckets of four beers in ice are available. This option provides a per-beer price break. Ask a server or bartender.

· occasionally some bars offer "happy hour" with slightly reduced prices.

· some mornings some bars offer "early specials" on bloody marys, screwdrivers, tequila sunrises, etc.

· special drinks and call brands are available at the captain's cocktail party and the past guest party. Guests may make a request through a server. The drink is still free, but since the server and the bartender have to go a little out of their way to accommodate such a request i suggest considering a cash tip for the service.

· through carnivals gift page on the web you can purchase alcohol drink coupons, 4 for $21.25 or 4 soda coupons for $7.75. These include the tip. If you order name brand liquor they may ask for you to make up the difference. If you hand them the coupon with a buck tip they seem to forget about the difference.

· fun ship card program (drink of the day deal) effective 12/15/2008

program details subject to change at any time. Program is subject to cancellation at any time. Fun ship cards, which allow the purchase of multiple daily specials/tropical cocktails at a discounted price, are available for purchase by guests on all cruises from all bar locations.· the "fun ship card" is a discount card which allows the guest an opportunity to enjoy a variety of daily tropical drink specials at a discounted price.· the fun ship card is sold for $23.00 + 15% gratuity. With the card, the guest will receive: 1 daily special tropical cocktail served in a souvenir hurricane glass (first drink ordered with the card) 4 daily special tropical cocktails served in standard glass. The fun ship card is sold in all bar locations. The fun ship cards may be purchased anytime during the cruise. The fun ship card has 5 drink glasses printed on the back. One of the printed drink glasses will be punched for each drink ordered. The card is no longer valid when all five printed drink glasses are punched.· the fun ship card may be presented at any bar location or the main dining room to receive an included daily tropical cocktail.· tropical cocktails may be redeemed all at once or one at a time.· there are no refunds for unused cards/punches. Daily special tropical cocktails included in the card are: (as mentionned in previous post: No long available)

· fun ship special

· bahama mama

· riviera delight

· yellow bird

· caribbean breeze

· goombay smash

· blue margarita

· a “monkeyhead” can be purchased for $14.95, refills $5.95

· carnival also sells a specialty coffee card. $11.50 + 15% gratuity gets you 5 regular-sized coffee beverages from the coffee bar - things such as cafe mochas and other $4-6 range drinks. Again, if you purchase the first day while in port you may get charged local sales tax.

onboard drink prices (subject to change)

guests must be 21 or older in order to be served alcohol onboard. Proper i.d. Is required. Age is determined at time of boarding. If someone celebrates their 21st birthday onboard they are still considered to be 20 years old for alcohol purchases. i believe the new 21 yo can go to the pursers desk after his 21 bday and have the s&s card ajusted to reflect the "21 years old"

the fun ship: $6.95, refills $5.95

try this exotic invention consisting of amaretto, rum, vodka, apricot brandy and juices. The distinctive 15-oz. Glass is yours to keep as a remembrance of your cruise. Souvenir glass and refills are served only on the outer decks. Fyi: Souvenir glass is plastic.

hth

Archived