Thomson Destiny WHAT CAN I WEAR

Hi everyone, could anyone please help me, i am cruising around the Carebean going on 26th December 2010 with Thomson Destiny, what i would like to know, is after you have done your sunbathing during the day, say at 6ish, can you go into the bars and have a drink in your shorts "nice shorts, NOT swim Shorts", also at night i understand you have to wear Long Trousers in the Seven Seas resturant, but do you have to wear Long Trousers in all the bars/resturants in the evening, for example, would i be able to get ready at night put a nice shirt and shorts on and go and have something to eat in the Lido Cafe and then go and watch a show then go to one of the bars, dressed like this,, or would i need to wear Long Trousers,, also if i wear a pair of Linen Pants, could i wear a pair of Sandles with NO SOCKS or have you got to wear a full Shoe with No Feet Showing,, i hope somone out there can help me, any sort of help with dress itier at night would be GREAT,,,thanks Derek Aged 46 "Manchester England", also any photos from Night time would be a bonus,, Thanks again

Hi everyone, could anyone please help me, i am cruising around the Carebean going on 26th December 2010 with Thomson Destiny, what i would like to know, is after you have done your sunbathing during the day, say at 6ish, can you go into the bars and have a drink in your shorts "nice shorts, NOT swim Shorts", also at night i understand you have to wear Long Trousers in the Seven Seas resturant, but do you have to wear Long Trousers in all the bars/resturants in the evening, for example, would i be able to get ready at night put a nice shirt and shorts on and go and have something to eat in the Lido Cafe and then go and watch a show then go to one of the bars, dressed like this,, or would i need to wear Long Trousers,, also if i wear a pair of Linen Pants, could i wear a pair of Sandles with NO SOCKS or have you got to wear a full Shoe with No Feet Showing,, i hope somone out there can help me, any sort of help with dress itier at night would be GREAT,,,thanks Derek Aged 46 "Manchester England", also any photos from Night time would be a bonus,, Thanks again

Hi - I would say your suggestion for the evening (nice shorts etc) ia absolutely fine if you were eating in the Lido restaurant. As you quite rightly say, long trousers are required for the evening meal in the Seven Seas but I think you can go into the bars for a drink in shorts - probably even the showlounge although I must say from memory I don't think many do. I think sandals without socks are ok too. For evenings, my DH will tend to wear chinos/short-sleeved shirts but wears shorts in the daytime and these are acceptable even in the main dining room for breakfast and lunch.

The Caribbean tends to feel a bit more informal but most people do change in the evenings and make an effort for Gala Night - DJ's - the works. And since you will be on board for New Year I would imagine they will make quite an event of it - perhaps others who have travelled at this time will be able to tell you if so and whether that is more formal too - it may be worth going prepared to join in - the dining room on Destiny is great fun - it's a wonderful atmosphere with a 'showtime' each night when you are entertained by the waiting staff. They're great! I would think new Year would be fantastic! :D

thank you, yes looking forward to the cruise, just didnt want to wear long trousers most of the time, but we have taken the late dinning option, so its 20.30 when we eat, so im happy that i can leave the pool, put some dry dress shorts on and go and sit in a bar until i go and shower and dressfor the evening, the more i read the more it seems long trousers are the norm, so it long trousers for me, cantwait to go,, so so looking forward to it, both me "46 & my wife 39", whowill be 40 while we are on the ship,, THANKS again for your reply Derek

thank you, yes looking forward to the cruise, just didnt want to wear long trousers most of the time, but we have taken the late dinning option, so its 20.30 when we eat, so im happy that i can leave the pool, put some dry dress shorts on and go and sit in a bar until i go and shower and dressfor the evening, the more i read the more it seems long trousers are the norm, so it long trousers for me, cantwait to go,, so so looking forward to it, both me "46 & my wife 39", whowill be 40 while we are on the ship,, THANKS again for your reply Derek

Pleased to be of help. There are some comprehensive reviews on here for both the Destiny itineraries from last year (although I think there has been at least one change of port on one of them) but if you check them out it may help you with your planning and decisions about what you what to see/do whilst there. If you can't find them, I'll try to track them down for you and post the links.

What a lovely way to celebrate your wife's birthday - you'll have a great time! :D

Thanks for all your responses, i will have a good look around the sight for more info, yes rearly looking forward to both the Cruise andCelabrating my wifes 40th,, Thanks again

We are also joining Destiny on Boxing Day for the New Year and are also on second sitting. I wouldn't try to go to the Seven Seas restaurant in the evening in shorts: Paul was turned away from the restaurant on Celebration in June at breakfast time as he was wearing a sleeveless t-shirt, so they do stick to the dress code. For a drink in the bar before changing for dinner you should be ok. We usually stay on deck sun-bathing until after sail-away anyway, then by the time we've got changed it's already pre-dinner cocktail time so Paul would be in long trousers by then. Even though it's hot out on deck in the Caribbean, with the air-con it's cooler indoors on the ship and I would say most men wear long trousers, socks and shoes during the evening wherever they are on the ship.

If you tell the restaurant manager or head waiter when your wife's birthday is, you can have balloons above the table that evening and a group of singing waiters to serenade her after dinner, brilliant fun!

Carol x

hiya we too are going on the 26th December cruise, we have cruised on Ocean Village, Island Escape in the past, my hubby really doesnt want to do the DJ thing, would it be ok for a smart suite and tie, or will he look totally out of place. Ive told him there are only two formal nights but of course NYEve will count extra so three, I might sneek a Dickybow in my case but I doubt he would wear it, hes told me he will stay in his cabin

which worries me.

Just how formal is formal ??

We are also joining Destiny on Boxing Day for the New Year and are also on second sitting. I wouldn't try to go to the Seven Seas restaurant in the evening in shorts: Paul was turned away from the restaurant on Celebration in June at breakfast time as he was wearing a sleeveless t-shirt, so they do stick to the dress code. For a drink in the bar before changing for dinner you should be ok. We usually stay on deck sun-bathing until after sail-away anyway, then by the time we've got changed it's already pre-dinner cocktail time so Paul would be in long trousers by then. Even though it's hot out on deck in the Caribbean, with the air-con it's cooler indoors on the ship and I would say most men wear long trousers, socks and shoes during the evening wherever they are on the ship.

If you tell the restaurant manager or head waiter when your wife's birthday is, you can have balloons above the table that evening and a group of singing waiters to serenade her after dinner, brilliant fun!

Carol x

No way. My wife just joked, weve got friends already on the ship lol, would be funny if we are sat on the same table for evening meal,, we will have to wait and see, my name is Derek & my Wife is Called Sara,, so if a couple of MAD Mancunians are on your table, it could be us lol,, thanks for all your pointers, the more i read the more i feel OK about wearing Long Trousers,, im even going to buy a Tux,,, Thanks again :)

hiya we too are going on the 26th December cruise, we have cruised on Ocean Village, Island Escape in the past, my hubby really doesnt want to do the DJ thing, would it be ok for a smart suite and tie, or will he look totally out of place. Ive told him there are only two formal nights but of course NYEve will count extra so three, I might sneek a Dickybow in my case but I doubt he would wear it, hes told me he will stay in his cabin

which worries me.

Just how formal is formal ??

I never wear Trousers, so tell your Husband he can stand with me, we will both feel like a couple of Lemons lol, but there again after a few beers & Cocktails, will we even notice what we are wearing, Tell your Husband that River Irsland have got a sale on and the Trousers are 1/2 price and they dont feel or look to bad once there on,, as for the TUX Night iv bought mine from ASDA only £40, look like a Funural Directour but my wife said i look like James Bond & SHE LOVES JAMES BOND,, Way Hay,, might wear the suit every night lol,, look forward to having a drink on thedeck with you :)

Archived