Question for recent NCL Jewel cruisers

Hi everyone. I will be on the Jewel in less than 2 weeks in a min-auite on the 11th floor. My niece is concerned about getting seasick since she got seasick on her last cruise about 3 years ago.

The cruise she got seasick on was ti the Carribbean on the Princess Cruise Line on the Dolphin deck towards the back. I think that was either deck 7 or deck 9. We felt motion almost every night.

From what I read on this site the higher the floor and the more forward you go the more motion you feel, but it depends on the sea. She plans on taking bonine and ginger items.

I am just curious how the sea has been for recent NCL Jewel cruisers. Has the ride been smooth or have the seas been rough lately. They are predicting a rough hurricane season this year.

I've also read that sailing out of New York is usually a little rougher. About how many hours after you sail do you hit calmer waters? Is the first night sailing to the Florida/Bahamas in rougher water?

This cruise will be our 2nd cruise so we haven't experienced rough seas or anything.

Thanks for any info.

I have no specific answers to your questions, because I haven't yet gone on Jewel. However, it's very true that any sailing in the Atlantic is prone to rough seas. My husband tends to get seasick very easily-- he has inner ear problems that contribute. He has found that taking meclizine (the generic form of Bonine) the night before the cruise and every night while on the cruise-- with an extra one if seas begin to get rough-- does the trick for him.

Since the key is *prevention* (the meds may not stay down if you wait till you need them!), your niece should take them in advance. I'm assuming she's an adult; I believe meclizine is not recommended for children.

Another option is Sea-bands. I got one much cheaper than list price on eBay. Naturally, we haven't needed to use it since I bought it (it's a good preventative, I guess!), but I did use it for nausea from a condition unrelated to seasickness, and it worked well.

We have sailed the Jewel for over 20 days, all as far forward as you can get on deck 10. Only one day/night did we feel motion that would make someone prone to sea sickness uncomfortable.

Al

We sailed on the Jewel, June 26 - July 3. Had an extremely smooth sailing in our mini-suite. We were located a few doors back from the middle elevators. I feel that the Jewel handles itself very well as one night we had 7ft - 12 ft seas. We hardly felt any motion at all on any of the days. Of course, the seas and weather are very unpredictable so you can't predict what will happen on your cruise. Enjoy and take along the Bonine just in case.

we were in 11022 may29-June 4th.. we really didn't feel the boat rocking...seas were fairly calm.. at night I felt a pulling here in there but would tell my brain what it was.. the best way to describe it is if someone is driving and they take their foot off the gas and the apply it again... we got our bands from cvs. We never used them.. good luck .,. have fun.. we loved our room/balcony!!!

Archived