Swollen feet and legs

Jules59

Hi all. I was hoping some of you had some advice for me. I am a type 1 diabetic, have nerve and muscle damage in my legs and hips, have a L4 partially herniated disc and fibromyalgia. I am dealing with all those issues with different meds and other things, but need help on going on cruises and having my lower legs and feel swell terribly. We always sail to the Caribbean and it always happens there. It can be in the lower 90's with high humidity here in the summer and I don't have that trouble. Just when we go on cruises Does anyone have any suggestions?

This is only a theory that I have and have nothing to back it up except my own experiences. I would always have the same problem, except on my last cruise. On the last cruise, I didn't drink any tap water, only bottled water. I didn't have near the swelling problem that I've had in the past.

Most cruise ships use a reverse osmosis process to get drinking water. You can't taste the salt in it, but I still think there is some Sodium Chloride left, and if you drink enough of it and you are sensitive to too much salt, you will retain fluids.

Again, this is my theory. As a science teacher, I tell my kids that theories can change as new information is gained.

Do you fly to get to your cruise? For me, that is when the problem starts. I find that if I wear compression knee highs on the plane it really helps.

The other thing that I found was that some of my pain medication, including Tylenol and ibuprofen, were causing my legs to swell. I tended to take a bit more of these on vacation because I am doing so much more. I asked my doctor for a mild diuretic and that seemed to do the trick. Remember to drink lots and lots of water!

You can request a low sodium diet which will help. Eating all that wonderful cruise food has much more sodium than you are used to at home. Talk to your waiter and they will prepare anything you want the way you want. Bring a bottle of salt substitute from home that you can use, like Mrs. Dash (check with your doctor first)

Also wearing compression stockings help ( I wear them every day, even in the summer) you get used to them. Wear a good walking shoe, not sandles...you have more support and you can lace.unlace them to fit you better.

Try to rest every day before dinner with your legs evevated above your heart for 20 minutes....just putting them up on a chair or table will not help, they must be above your heart...gravity helps the excess fluid leave your legs and ankles. This should make you more comfortable.

Good luck, I hope you can cruise comfortably again.

You can request a low sodium diet which will help. Eating all that wonderful cruise food has much more sodium than you are used to at home. Talk to your waiter and they will prepare anything you want the way you want. Bring a bottle of salt substitute from home that you can use, like Mrs. Dash (check with your doctor first)

Also wearing compression stockings help ( I wear them every day, even in the summer) you get used to them. Wear a good walking shoe, not sandles...you have more support and you can lace.unlace them to fit you better.

Try to rest every day before dinner with your legs evevated above your heart for 20 minutes....just putting them up on a chair or table will not help, they must be above your heart...gravity helps the excess fluid leave your legs and ankles. This should make you more comfortable.

Good luck, I hope you can cruise comfortably again.

I agree with the above. It is most likely all of the sodium (salt) in the food, that's why it only happens when you cruise. Unfortunately, we can't control the amount of salt that goes into our food when we aren't preparing it. You can help by asking for low sodium foods, if they are available. Soups usually have high amounts of sodium, (most anything that comes out of a can does) so steer clear! Don't add salt to your food, use pepper instead, etc. Start reading labels on the foods you use at home. Notice the sodium content, and you will get a feel for what foods are high in sodium and which are low. it will help you make better choices the next time you cruise. Believe it or not, walking is very good for the swelling and helps get rid of it!

Thanks for the advice. At home, I try to sit in the recliner with my feet up. I cringe at the idea of compression stockings. I get so hot at home as it is. I am on a lot of strong pain meds.

I've cruised quite a bit and have never had this problem. But my friend just came back from her first cruise and had a lot of lower leg swelling and her feet were extremely swollen. She did not fly, and doesn't have any bad medical conditions. Guess it must be the salt. She said she wasn't real active and kind of overdid the eating. Wow.

I just had it happen so much that I could only wear one pair of shoes as all the others were too tight.

I think it is the food served in hotels, restaurants and on cruise ships.

As soon as I got home it all stopped and legs and feet were back to normal.

Many people use a great deal of salt in their food and expect food to taste like that when traveling. I don't use salt at home.

The only thing that I can think of that is different from home is-

1-The weather. I am in A/C when it is hot and put my feet up different times of the day.

2- I know how much salt is in my food as I am cooking it.

You have all given me some good ideas.

Thank you!

Please consider getting advice from your personal physician !

He/She is the only one that is aware of your personal health

issues and medications. I agree some advice from

others sounds good ... but it is important for your health

and comfort to do what is medically best for you !

I heartily agree discussing this with your physician. However, this happened to me on our last cruise. It was the first time this happened in 21 cruises. I also ate bacon every morning, which I limit greatly at home. I also got hooked on shrimp cocktails at Cagney's for lunch almost every day. It got so bad, I had difficulty walking. It might have been gout which I have never had before. God...I love crispy bacon but will be sure to be alot more cautious on our next trip.

I ask for lots of lemons to squeeze into my water. I also bring a one a small bottle of lemon juice just to have on hand. Lemon juice is a natural diuretic

That's a new one for me!! I guess there is always something new to learn no matter how old you are. Thanks.

On our April cruise, I was already on daily Lasex and still swelled up so much that I could not use my sandles. BUT you can't imagine how much bacon I ate...I can't imagine how much bacon I ate. I could have doubled the Lasex but would not be able to leave the cabin without a portapotty.

Shoes. Yes, that was a big problem. I tried on a pair if white sandles at home to make sure they fit well. I needed a pair of black sandles to go with the back dress slacks that I was going to take. Anyways, I ordered the same pair in black and a wide. Come formal night I couldn't get them on. My husband had to help me and put an extra hole in to fasten them. I was in pain all night till we could get back to the room and I could take them off. I'm sure you're right about the food. We went to the buffet a lot and I loved the bacon, which I rarely fix at home. I will be sure to discuss this with my doctor. Thanks for the info about the natural diuretics. I appreciate any help I can get.

I would also recommend velcro closing sandals from some of the catalog companies like footsmart.com or maryland.com. they come in wide and double wide which is adjustable as we need. They also come in metalic bronze/gold/pewter in a fairly dressy style.

Archived