taking alcohol on board

tuppence

hi tuppence,

both my wife and myself have been on three cruises,

carnival spirit / hal volendam / msc poesia

and on all occassions we have packed one or two large bottles in our big luggage (not carry-on) and have never had it taken of us.

also on all of these cruises,we have bought a samll bottle of sprits or a 6 pack of beer and taken it on at several ports,and have never had it taken off us.but we do go to the bars etc,so maybe thier is a little give and take.

if you don't try to get cartons on, i think their pretty much o.k

nodandade

On the Splendida, in the Med last October we brought on a bottle in our bag; no problem and also bought some in Barcelona and brought it back on and there was no problem. Didn't flaunt it, but it wasn't exactly hidden either! Nothing better then a cocktail on the balcony while sailing out of the harbor!

When we were on the Splendida in April, it was possible to go down to the duty free shop, buy a bottle of spirits and take it back to your cabin with you straight away, rather than wait till getting it at the end of the cruise like other companies.

Only downside was everyone seemed to be drinking in their cabins, and as a result the bars were very quiet for the week, so you did not get to meet many people.

Hi can you tell me if you are allowed to take alcohol on board purchased in port? we just like a drink on our balcony before dinner:) thanks

When we were on the Splendida in April, it was possible to go down to the duty free shop, buy a bottle of spirits and take it back to your cabin with you straight away, rather than wait till getting it at the end of the cruise like other companies.

Only downside was everyone seemed to be drinking in their cabins, and as a result the bars were very quiet for the week, so you did not get to meet many people.

This was true when we were on the Splendida in October as well. We purchased a bottle of Jim Bean and they put it in a bag and let us bring it back to room. I was surprised!

Hi can you tell me if you are allowed to take alcohol on board purchased in port? we just like a drink on our balcony before dinner:) thanks

Apparently it depends on the people scanning your bags. On MSC Poesia in June, we brought alcohol on board in our checked bags without any problems.

When we bought alcohol in our first port, the scanner picked it up and they did take it until the last night. If you tried to buy anything in their duty free shop, they did take it until the last night.

Bottom line - try it in your checked luggage and see what happens. Be prepared either way.

• 4 weeks later...

The official explanation for not allowing you to bring your own booze onboard is given as "safety reasons" - obviously the real reason is to maximise revenues in their onboard bars. (Although they don't mind you openly lugging lots of cheap mineral water onboard).

Be aware that you are charged 15% service charge on all drinks purchased in the bars and restaurants. We brought spirits on board in our large luggage, not carry on. When you return to the ship after being out on a day trip your bag is sent through a scanner, so alcohol could be detected that way. Didn't try to bring it this way anyway.

Archived