Questions - May 2011

Scarlett09

Hi All,

I am looking at going on the 10 night cruise with PG at the end of May 2011. It looks like a fantastic trip, but I have a few questions:

-If anybody has been on a PG cruise in late May, can you tell me what the weather was like?

-For the cabins with portholes - are these a nice size? Is it worth upgrading to the full window?

-I see that they have a special on at the moment. I think it looks like a good price, but am wondering if PG has frequent sales throughout the year?

-Last question, may sound silly to some, but does the cruise fare include pina colada cocktails and cosmos?

Thanks all!

I'll give it a shot.

Cruise pricing is hard to predict. Some deals may come along and then again they may not.

I stayed in a porthole cabin and found it perfectly acceptable. I believe that I am correct in saying porthole cabins are identical to the window cabins (except of course for the larger view of the outside world). We spent very little time in our cabin but if you anticipate being in the cabin a great deal, it would probably be better to look into a balcony cabin.

Mixed drinks are included in the cruise price.

Frommers quote concerning May weather:

"The most pleasant time of year is the May-through-October austral winter, or dry season, when midday maximum temperatures average a delightful 82°F (28°C), with early morning lows of 68°F (20°C) often making a blanket necessary."

We've been there 3 times in late May, early June. Weather has been for the most part wonderful, although storms are impossible to predict--we've had a couple of tropical downpours and one evening storm in 28 days.

You can have as many pina coladas and cosmos as you can pour down your throat!

Yes, porthole cabins are the same size as window cabins, and are considered the best deal on the ship. We've always gone with the window, just 'cause I'm a bit claustrophic, but I'd book one of those deck 3 cabins in a heartbeat.

Hi All,

I am looking at going on the 10 night cruise with PG at the end of May 2011. It looks like a fantastic trip, but I have a few questions:

-If anybody has been on a PG cruise in late May, can you tell me what the weather was like?

-For the cabins with portholes - are these a nice size? Is it worth upgrading to the full window?

-I see that they have a special on at the moment. I think it looks like a good price, but am wondering if PG has frequent sales throughout the year?

-Last question, may sound silly to some, but does the cruise fare include pina colada cocktails and cosmos?

Thanks all!

May is rainy and the seas are rough!I just sailed 5/22-6/05 (15 nights)

Category F (porthole) is the least expensive.That stateroom will not have as much light.I would recommend Category D (small balcony).Its a few more bucks,however,isn't as costly as Category C or B (I chose this Category)!As far as cost goes,PG will offer FREE upgrades and Stateroom credits and FREE R/T air between now and the sail date.You will need to monitor these promotions yourself and contact PG directly for refund adjustments to your trip.Otherwise,you will pay full fare.

Also,when you book your vacation, PG will charge a Foreign Transaction Fee to your Visa because their bank is in Ireland.Again,you will need to call them and they will mail you a refund check(3%)!

And for the booze,its pretty much whatever you want.A shot of Remy XO for example will cost you $20!

If your just interested in a luxury cruise,I wouldn't necessarily select PG.There are many options available that are less costly and better weather.You should definitely check out Sea Dream Cruises...wonderful!:)

If your just interested in a luxury cruise,I wouldn't necessarily select PG.There are many options available that are less costly and better weather.You should definitely check out Sea Dream Cruises...wonderful!:)

I would love to hear more about your cruising experiences with SeaDream, Oceania and Crystal.

We've cruised the Paul Gauguin three times, twice in the "window" category (4th deck) and once in the porthole (3rd deck). First time, the agent upsold us, second cruise a porthole, and on the last cruise, we tried to get porthole, but they were sold out, even though we booked 10 months in advance. We spent very little waking time in our room...perhaps that would be different if we were in a balcony but there were always plenty of chairs and loungers topside when we weren't on shore and we found the cost differential too substantial to justify. Our return trips demonstrate that we find the PG a great experience-fantastically beautiful places and wonderful service and amenities on the ship.

Not only are pina coladas and cosmos included, but nice wine poured at dinner and quality liquor included. Makers Mark for Manhattans, Glenfiddych(sp?) for Scotch, but there are some super premium options available for an extra price.

Enough cheerleading-I think I'm overcompensating for the new troll poster but the PG and the South Pacific are the places that I revisit when I need to get to a happy place. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/icons/icon11.gif And selfishly, I want others to enjoy the PG so the ship will stay in business and we can go back in 2012

thanks Librarian!!

i have to say that I've decided to enjoy the crustacean crab and all the nastiness as I had decided that this was going to be the best vacation ever (leave next Sat!) Now I get to have a small smidgeon of wariness and look forward to discovering that the sea cucumbers have not overrun the beaches of FP like some scary movie, the water hasn't turned into a murky grey and the swells aren't tossing the boat like a scene from The Perfect Storm. I look forward to joining the mauidreamer, mountaindrivers, southseas and bandt on the fan club when I return!

mariah

Hi everyone,

new to this so bear with me as I have a few questions. My friend and I are trying to book a cruise in early Jan. for 10 days. Has anybody done a cruise during that month and what can we expect as far as temps and rain go???

Also, does anybody know where the ship docks are in comparison to the airport. We would get in at 5:30 a.m. and the ship doesn't leave until 10:00 p.m. so we were wondering if we should check into a hotel first to kind of relax for a few hours before we board. Any recommendations for hotels near the ports??

and thirdly...according to what we read it's obviously best to get lobster off the boat...any suggestions??

thanks a lot for taking time to answer our questions.

chickafire

Archived