Life Lessons--Airlines, Refunds, and Travel Insurance

GJH123

I have learned so much from the Cruise Critic Boards and hope that this experience will also prove helpful to others.

In April, following our "Pearls of the Riviera" cruise, we were stranded in Rome because of the volcanic ash cloud. Our flight to Amsterdam and subsequent flight to US via London were cancelled. It was nearly impossible to get an answer from BA regarding the potential for rebooking. Ironically, I had booked this flight through a TA because I felt we needed a longer time between connecting flights and was unable to do this online myself. So after multiple unsuccessful attempts to rebook from my hotel in Rome, I contacted our TA; she found us a way out via Athens when others were stranded. So IMO the $100 in fees was money well spent.

When I returned home, I filed a claim with British Airways for a refund of fares and reimbursement for our hotel stays. It took about six weeks, but I was reimbursed for the hotel stays and our one way flight to Amsterdam. I have not yet received any kind of refund on the unused portion of the ticket from Amsterdam to US. The New York Times ran an article on July 12th entitled "Practical Traveler Delayed? They'll Put You Up" which outlines the requirements for European and American carriers, regarding cancelled flights. This information might prove helpful if you are traveling independently to and from Europe.

I have also filed a claim with Access America for the cost of the flight from Athens and will keep you posted on this outcome. We had purchased the cancel for any reason option, so hopefully this is covered.

In the meantime, I have read how wonderfully Oceania responded to those who had booked air through them, so we may do that for out cruise next summer.

Believe me, when faced with the possibility of not being able to make it home on a deadline, a few hundred dollars seems immaterial.

Yes, keep us informed.

I'm glad your TA was helpful.

I'm not sure there is anyway to know exactly how insurance will work without reading of actual experiences. Some policies did not cover the ash because they did not consider it weather.

Some also did not cover the ash related delays and volcano eruptions, according to some policies, are considered acts of God, similar the earthquakes and other natural disasters. Key is to read the boring darn thing when you get it to know exactly what is covered and what isn't. you can try to get a refuld or change the policy before you use it, but can never do that after your trip begins.

Rick

• 1 month later...

Just an update, we received full reimbursement (one half of the ticket price) from BA for our unused portion of our original ticket (Amsterdam to Indianapolis) plus a refund for early seat selection. BA came through with flying colors!

We also had filed a claim with Access America for the cost of the new ticket we purchased and the additional luggage fees we were assessed. I did make two follow-up calls concerning the claim and was always treated with courtesy and respect. In accordance with our cancel for any reason provision, we were provided a settlement for 80% of the additional expenses we incurred because this was a non-medical interruption. The accompanying letter cited the payment was for "trip interruption due to complete cessation of services by your Common Carrier for 24 or more hours due to a strike, natural disaster or bad weather." They also have a more comprehensive policy which covers a delay of 12 hours. I had purchased cancel for any reason coverage, because the "the swine flu scare" had just begun when we booked this trip and I was assured that this coverage would offer protection whereas others wouldn't.

So what have I learned. E-mails provide excellent documentation. Credit card statements provide dollar amounts when fares are quoted in pounds and/or euros and help to avoid the conversion factor. Statements and receipts should be itemized. In addition to a copy of my travel insurance policy, I will include a copy of EU 261/2004 which outlines the conditions of carriage in my carry-on.(I'm not sure I could comprehend it all on an i-phone) I will also look seriously at traveling with reputable European carriers as the regulations seem to be more enforceable in Europe as indicated in the NY Times article. And finally, patience and persistence prevails.

Archived