FYI: Mandatory Service Charge

trvl4fun

NCL has already implemented the mandatory service charge before it was suppose to be fleetwide in May 2005. I called to inquire about the service charge, and they are very tight lipped about who gets what, but I was definitely told that it was in effect right now, not May 2005 as they once themselves stated on their website. Everyone has their own reasons why they tip or don't, this is not about that, just want to inform others who are booked with NCL or considering booking with them. I have yet to have a bad experience with NCL, so never had any reason to adjust anything.

NCL has already implemented the mandatory service charge before it was suppose to be fleetwide in May 2005. I called to inquire about the service charge, and they are very tight lipped about who gets what, but I was definitely told that it was in effect right now, not May 2005 as they once themselves stated on their website. Everyone has their own reasons why they tip or don't, this is not about that, just want to inform others who are booked with NCL or considering booking with them. I have yet to have a bad experience with NCL, so never had any reason to adjust anything.

http://www.ncl.com/more/fp_mi_w2n.htm#18

It must have changed since Saturday. I checked NCL.com and the old adjustable rules were posted. I just checked now it it has change. Here is the new wording that still allows for adjustment if they can't fiix the issue. I think if you wait until last day you may be out of luck. I tipped in cash (but really did not) and want the charge removed will not work anymore. One bad waiter at one meal will not be justification to remove the whole charge.

What about Tipping?

SERVICE CHARGE

A fixed service charge of $10 per person, per day will be added to your onboard account. For children ages 3-12, a $5 per person per day charge will be added to your onboard account; there is no charge for children under the age of three. Our crew is encouraged to work together as a service team and is compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that the service charge supports. It is our earnest wish that you enjoy your Freestyle Cruise experience and that our entire crew in all areas of the ship will provide you with the standard of service for which NCL is known. Therefore, if you have any concerns about the service you receive during your cruise, please bring them to the immediate attention of our reception desk staff on board so that we can address any issues in a timely manner before the cruise is over.

Both NCL and NCL America have a structured guest satisfaction program on board designed to handle any concerns raised by our guests relating to the service or on board product quickly and efficiently. In almost all cases we are able to come up with a satisfactory solution to any issues which are raised and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise vacation. In the unlikely event we cannot satisfactorily resolve the issue through our guest satisfaction program, guests will be able to adjust the service charge according to the level of inconvenience they feel they have experienced. Our clear priority is to have the opportunity of resolving the issue, when it happens, to everyone’s complete satisfaction.

This should not be news for anyone. Cost of providing services to paseengers has gone up while the main source of income for service providers has gone down. There was a day when all passengers tipped service providers on ship. The tip has laways been seen as the main part of the income. Passenagers don't tip as they once did. So it has become absolutely necessary for a different pay plan to begin.

Think with me for a moment. On your job you are paid by gifts or tips (they are the same thing) from your customers, (and yes even if you are in manufacturing you have customers they would be the person who buys your end product), these customers no longer want to pay or give you a gift or a tip for your efforts. Would you continue to work at your place of work? I would really beleive the first few weeks you might but eventually you would look for another job ou have obligations too, bills to pay, kids to feed, retirment to plan for.

Now your company could do two or three things. First thay could say it is not our problem as you leave to go work some place else. Second, they could raise the cost of the product they sell to pay you but that would cost them to lose their competitiveness in the market place. Their product would now cost more than X's product. So they probably won't raise the cost to make sure you get your salary, tip, gift or what ever you want to call it. So here is what they will probably do. They will hide your tip, salary, gift whatever you want to call it in an added fee. They will sell the product you make and then just when the customer is ready to take delivery they say "Oh by the Way" there is an added fee we must charge you. Trucking companies do it every day. They call it a surcharge for fuel cost. Your cruise tickets have a disclaimer where you can be charged more if their cost goes up substanitially.

So I have this to say. Welcome to the market place fellow cruisers.

Don

Archived