Ship recommendation?

We are considering Royal Caribbean for a 2/06 cruise. We have sailed NCL Dream 2x and Celebrity Constellation 1x and loved both ships. This cruise will be our 1st with our son who will be 13 at the time. We really like the size of the Dream & Constellation and do NOT want to go on the Voyager class ships. I know many of you will want to try to convince us to give it a try, but we really aren't interested. Since we really don't know much about RCI's ships, we would appreciate information and recommendations about the smaller to midsize ships. I understand that Serenade is wonderful, but I think it's bigger than the Constellation, which makes me wonder. Has anyone sailed the Dream/Connie and something from RCI that could do a size comparison for me? Thanks!

Constellation - 2/04
NCL Dream - 2/00
NCL Dreamward - 2/96

While I think it is a mistake to rule out the Voyager class ships ( we have cruise Celebrity and RCCL 6 times each all classes) the feeling of being crowded, which most people fear does not happen actually felt more crowded on some of the smaller ships. Anyway the Radiance class ships (Brillance, Radience, Serenade and Jewel) are the exact same size as the M class ships of Celebrity,(build on the same basic hull) even down to the elevators overlooking the Sea. Hope that helps

I recommend the Rhapsody of the Seas.

Can you tell me about the Dream?

Cruise on!

Commodore 3/00
Disney Magic 6/00
Inspiration 6/01
Rhapsody of the Seas 3/02
Holiday 6/02
Carnival Conquest 3/03
Carnival Conquest 6/03
Mariner of the Seas 3/04
Grandgeur of the Seas 3/05 (hopefully)

I recommend the Radiance of the seas. This ship is great and beautiful. The glass used in the ship makes you feel like you truly are on the ocean.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;06;20;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
first year anniversary celebration

Depends where you want to sail from. If departure port is no problem, the Rhapsody is a great ship out of Galveston, Tx for 7 nights.

Splendour is also out of Galveston for 11 night trans canal cruise. Haven't sailed her, but have read several reviews.

Shmthaus
[img]http://images.animfactory.com/animations/animals/fish/two_fish_kissing_md_wht.gif[/img]

[img]http://bestanimations.com/Transport/Nautical/Yachts/Yacht-04.gif[/img]

11/02 RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas
12/03 CCL Celebration
11/04 RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas
[url="http://community.webshots.com/user/shmthaus"]http://community.webshots.com/user/shmthaus[/url]

Thanks for the responses. I had been looking at the Radiance class and will probably look at their itineraries. Crowding was not necessarily our concern with the bigger ships. It is more the sense that they look like floating Las Vegas hotels, with the inside "downtown" section, etc. I like to really feel like I'm on a ship, and it looks too much like a land resort that happens to float. That's just our opinion of course; we know people who have sailed the Voyager class and loved it. Luckily that's why they build different size ships! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Spence: We really enjoyed the Dream, and sailed her before and after her stretch. Now that we have sailed the 'Connie' we have a basis for comparison. The Connie has a better layout (easier to navigate) than parts of the Dream. For example, the rooms that are forward of the theatre on the Dream have to go up or down 1 flight to get past the the theatre when it's in use for shows or rehearsals. Also, the 4 Seasons restaurant is the full width of the ship. Therefore, you have to walk through it, even if people are eating, to go fore or aft, unless, again, you go up or down a level. Other than those 2 problems, we love her! Service was always exceptional (our NCL room stewards were better than the one we had on X). Our favorite spot was the Sports Bar - great little tables outside for a breakfast pulling into port or a snack while pulling out. The Terraces dining room was very nice, and always our recommendation for 1st choice. The back pool was generally a quieter place to go to enjoy a book in the sun/shade, while the main pool had plenty of activity. NCL also offers the Dive In program, with their own shore excursions for snorkeling and diving. They give great instruction (on board demos + on the excursion)and have people in the water with you to point things out. We don't need these things and sometimes found them a bit crowded, but they were a great way to have a specific snorkeling trip, and gave a lot of "newbies" to snorkeling great support and comfort level.
It's been several years since we have sailed her now, but my parents were on her a year or so ago and said she's still great. If you have more specific questions, please ask! I may be back with specifics on Radiance class ships!

Constellation - 2/04
NCL Dream - 2/00
NCL Dreamward - 2/96

On the dream did you think it was too small at times and were there many things to do on it?

Cruise on!

Commodore 3/00
Disney Magic 6/00
Inspiration 6/01
Holiday 6/02
Carnival Conquest 3/03
Carnival Conquest 6/03
Mariner of the Seas 3/04

Just to add my input..
Just got back from the Mariner and there was NOTHING flashy about it. The Promanade is very classy. The entire ship is first class. I also took all the older women in my life that think they are better than the rest of the world and they could not say enough about how BEAUIFUL the ship was. Also, it is a teen dream come true. Just my thoughts...

So, how crowded is the Mariner, really? Like the original poster, Celebrity Summit was very much to our liking, but we also want to try Royal Caribbean. Very curious about Voyager class ships, but then get cold feet and think we'd be more comfortable on the Jewel.

I'm sure there's no shortage of activities on any of the ships, so we're not worried about that, but various posts talk about the crowded public areas, long elevator waits, etc. And the fact that with so many people on board, their encounters with more than their fair share of rude passengers. Is this truly a problem on the Voyager type ships?

Would appreciate comments from the more experienced cruisers about how pleasant/unpleasant these ships have been in terms of crowds and noise.

By the way, we have kids also and they were fine on Celebrity, so they should enjoy no matter what ship we choose.

We have been on the Summit and Millie from Celebirty and also the Voyager, Explorer, Adventure and Mariner of the Sea from RCCL. There is no long wait for elevators are there are more of them than on M class ships. The promenade does get crowded for some very good reasons, the parade the first night(welcome aboard0-very charming) and the Captains Gala, which is held there also, so he can introduce his staff). Om the M class they used the marble steps and the areas around there get crowded also. As per the number of passengers per ship, works out around the same as these ships are much larger. There are no more rude passangers than we find on Celebrity or Princess, most people are on a vacation to have a good time. Find the CD are much better on RCCL more involved with the passengers and the ship has more of a nightlife, and better entertainment than Celebrity. Also what I like in Feb.(President's week, we go every year for our anniversaryand DH's birthday) is the number of sea days are 2-31/2 depending on the ship, while Celebrity is very port intensive.

norm

HONESTLY, I didn't think that the Mariner was as crowded as the other smaller ships I have been on. There 3000+ and I don't recall really having to wait for anything except the fist day Sunday in the Windjammer. However, that would be anywhere..I never would have thought that there were that many people!

I'll chime in with my 2 cents....
we've been on Soverign class - Vision class - and Radiance class. Haven't been on Voyager class....YET [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
I would defintly choose a Radiance class ship, great layout, tons and tons of glass, 2 pools one being the adult solarium. Never felt crowded, we loved both the Radiance and Brilliance.

Soveriegn 92 E. Caribbean
Majesty 95 W. Caribbean
Granduer 97 E. Caribbean
Rhapsody 00 Mexico
Vision 02 Alaska
Radiance 03 Panama Canal
Brilliance 3/29/04

Radiance of the Seas/Panama Canal 10/18/2003
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;10;18;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]Are we there yet?
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;10;18;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

My bags are always packed!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;3;29;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img] Brilliance 3/29/2004

I cruised on the Mariner in March and the only times you had to wait was basically at the Windjammer and the elavators.Most of the time during the day all the people were up deck at the pool .During those times the ship was not crowded below decks.We had a great time. I would definately go on it again at any time.I hope this has helped. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Cruise on!

Commodore 3/00
Disney Magic 6/00
Inspiration 6/01
Holiday 6/02
Carnival Conquest 3/03
Carnival Conquest 6/03
Mariner of the Seas 3/04

Good comments from those who've actually been there - thanks. You can never be sure who you're sailing with anyway, and with that many people there are bound to be many "nice" people too. Unfortunately, these days, there's rudeness everywhere and amongst all age groups and classes of people.

From all your comments, we're looking forward to trying RCI. Now we're kind of torn between Mariner and Explorer for the same week next April. Any opinions on which of those is preferable? Explorer goes from Miami to Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel and Grand Cayman; Mariner from Port Canaveral to Labadee, Ochos Rios, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

Mariner!Mariner!Mariner!All the way! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Cruise on!

Commodore 3/00
Disney Magic 6/00
Inspiration 6/01
Holiday 6/02
Carnival Conquest 3/03
Carnival Conquest 6/03
Mariner of the Seas 3/04

Radiance class and Millenium(constellation) class are basically the same size. I am not sure why if you are taking your 13 year old son for the first time you would rule out the Voyager class, these are the perfect family cruise ships. They have everything that the other ships have, plus, ice skating, full court basketball, Rock wall, inline skating course, miniature golf, huge arcade, Johnny Rockets, huge adventure ocean area, etc. Sure these ships are huge but if you have an active 13 year old why would you automatically rule them out. The Radiance class ships are very pretty and have plenty of activities for all ages, especially when compared to NCL and Celebrity, but not compared to the Voyager class.

jc

You are totally right! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Cruise on!

Commodore 3/00
Disney Magic 6/00
Inspiration 6/01
Holiday 6/02
Carnival Conquest 3/03
Carnival Conquest 6/03
Mariner of the Seas 3/04
Grandeur of the Seas 3/05 (hopefully)

The activities offered on Voyager class ships (roller blading, ice skating, mini golf, etc.) are all activities he does frequently at home and on land-based trips. I'm not worried if he can't do them for a week on a ship. I want this to feel and be a really different experience for him. From reading the boards here, it sounds like the kids' programs are great, even without ice skating, etc.
I do appreciate all of the feedback. After reading other posts on the Radience, I think we will look at her itinerary, or at least those in the Radiance class.

Constellation - 2/04
NCL Dream - 2/00
NCL Dreamward - 2/96

Archived