Dress for Kids in MDR/specialty

stacylv

I saw kids under 12 can wear nice shorts in dining rooms for dinner. Just wanted to confirm b/c the FAQ I saw on NCL was over a year old. This is a Med cruise next week so will be hot and prefer not to pack pants for the kids and they would be nice longer type shorts.

NCL is very casual. They usually have one dining room that is more casual than the other, that will allow shorts, jeans, etc., NO bathing suits though.

Don't take this as personal and I know some one will reply BUT IMO I don't think there should be any shorts or flip flops allowed in the MDR, regardless of age. Children's behavior is a product of their parents actions. People post away but I won't even come back to view this post again.

I do not want to do anything improper but I live in Las Vegas and travel very frequently and have been in very few restaurants were a well behaved child could not wear nice khaki shorts with a collared shirts in the heat of the summer. So I just need to know if it will be permissible.

They should be fine, I personally like the look from the 30's & 40's where little boys wore shorts all the time, even some schools in England have boys uniforms with shorts for the boys. Not the type of gangbanger, hangin' off your butt type but nice tailored ones.

Speaking of the former type shorts, I was called to jury duty and this 20 year old came in wearing pants like that as a juror, I can't consider that appropriate for sitting in a court room..... :eek:

I have been on many NCL cruises and my son wore 3/4 pants..not shorts and not long pants and he was told he would have to change! He was 13 at the time...pants or any kind will do however even athletic pants as long as they are long....

We were on the Gem in the Med in May, and dress in the MDR was VERY casual --- almost too much so, at least in my opinion, a number of cruisers were there in sweatpants and crumpled tee shirts. However, I do think this is an opportunity to dress up just a little bit for a nice dinner. Shorts are still casual attire, I wouldn't see someone of any age wearing them in a nice restaurant where I live. Just my opinion, of course ---- flame away.

Your children less than 12 will be okay with nice clean shorts in any NCL dining room or restaurant... On the other hand its wise for the adults to wear slacks, jeans if they must which requires not going to the dining room which will not accept them...

You will find NCL very casual...

Of course the country club dress code police will also be around as well...

PLEASE feel comfortable packing nice shorts for the children for dinner, with no fear.

DGS is 8 years old, and he has been on 5 cruises (NCL and Disney).

Your child will have no problem at all entering the MDR in shorts (nice shorts with a nice shirt)

Pay no attention to the "country club want to be's", They will try to tell you that shorts are unacceptable in any MDR, even for a child.

Archived