Cruise Newbie..how far in advance should I be booking

Priest

I have traveled extensively but have never taking a cruise. I will be taking the inside passage cruise early this coming September for my honeymoon. I have a couple of very basic questions that I'm sure you kind folks on here can answer for me.

First off, how far in advance should I be booking. Do I need to be booking now?

Next, I'm looking at the Sapphine Princess on Princess Cruise Lines.... is the cost difference ($200) between a balcony and a suite worth it?

Am I better off booking through one of the many websites or going to a travel agent?

I'm sure I will have plenty more questions in the coming weeks. My fiance' has put me in charge of the fun part and that's planning the honeymoon :)

I have traveled extensively but have never taking a cruise. I will be taking the inside passage cruise early this coming September for my honeymoon. I have a couple of very basic questions that I'm sure you kind folks on here can answer for me.

First off, how far in advance should I be booking. Do I need to be booking now?

Next, I'm looking at the Sapphine Princess on Princess Cruise Lines.... is the cost difference ($200) between a balcony and a suite worth it?

Am I better off booking through one of the many websites or going to a travel agent?

I'm sure I will have plenty more questions in the coming weeks. My fiance' has put me in charge of the fun part and that's planning the honeymoon :)

Hi!

First of all, congratulations on you upcoming marriage! As to your questions:

1) By all means you should be in the booking process now. I think Alaska bookings are running ahead of last year. It sounds like you have already done your homework and have the line (Princess), the ship (Sapphire), and timeframe (early September) set.

2) I will tell you sight unseen that $200 pp for a Suite (mini-suite?) vs. a balcony is definitely worth it. We had a mini-suite on the Coral Princess in December and loved the extra space and full tub in the bathroom. That being said, a consideration would be location - forward, aft, mid-ship, starboard, port, under a public area (noise is a real consideration), etc.? Are you prone to motion sickness? If so, mid-ship might be preferrable to fore or aft. Is the balcony covered, partially covered, or open? How close are the elevators or stairs? Just make sure the cabin is suitable for you and your bride. This is where a knowledgeable TA can help.

3) We have the advantage of having one of the largest Internet agencies based in our area and can visit our TA in their main office. We get the best of both worlds - excellent pricing and face-to-face service. If you know exactly what you want, go for the best pricing. We just like the idea that someone else is watching pricing changes (in addition to me because I watch as well!) and can snag any "goodies" from the cruise line (ship board credits, upgrades, etc.).

Start looking at ports and excursions. These boards will have some excellent advice on what are "must do" tours and perhaps what to avoid.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks for the feedback fellas. There is a ton of things to consider so I'm thinking I'm going to hit up a TA. I'm reading my books and cruising the website to absorb as much info as I can.. :)

Thanks again,

A great deal will depend WHEN in Sept. If earlier, then certainly a balcony is worthwhile, later in Sept. may not get as much use perhaps. Be advised that this Princess sailing, is outside passage a good portion of the trip. If you want inside passage, look at round trip Vancouver sailings with HAL offering some excellent itineraries. It's an easy transfer Seatac- Vancouver with an extra day. If going past the first week of Sept. be well prepared in your attire, including more warm layers then earlier, dusk is by 7pm- so plan your shore time carefully. But be on the look out for northern lights, if possible, ask the bridge for a call if viewable? If looking to go this year- BOOK now, then keep track of pricing trends YOURSELF, if a drop immediately contact the booking agent for an adjustment. I cruise based on price- plenty of on line discount agencies. Since you have made your cruise choice - then perhaps consider it.

Sometimes the bridge will place calls if the northern lights are visable. Otherwise inquire at the purser's desk if this is possible. Another suggestion- hook up with the ship naturalist- Carnival has had 2 excellent naturalists in the past when I sailed them. If a priority- keep track of predictions via the internet. You will need a clear dark night. Be out by 1am and plan on several hours if necessary. :) Scout out beforehand a dark area of the ship- will be hard to find.

A great deal will depend WHEN in Sept. If earlier, then certainly a balcony is worthwhile, later in Sept. may not get as much use perhaps. Be advised that this Princess sailing, is outside passage a good portion of the trip. If you want inside passage, look at round trip Vancouver sailings with HAL offering some excellent itineraries. It's an easy transfer Seatac- Vancouver with an extra day. If going past the first week of Sept. be well prepared in your attire, including more warm layers then earlier, dusk is by 7pm- so plan your shore time carefully. But be on the look out for northern lights, if possible, ask the bridge for a call if viewable? If looking to go this year- BOOK now, then keep track of pricing trends YOURSELF, if a drop immediately contact the booking agent for an adjustment. I cruise based on price- plenty of on line discount agencies. Since you have made your cruise choice - then perhaps consider it.

Thanks for the advice Budget Queen. I was planning on Princess based on what I have read on Froamers and the fact that my time frame is pretty set in stone. We are looking at a departure on Sept 11th, 12th. I'm thinking that if the probability is that the weather is going to be foul during that time I may be better off going with an oceanview room and spending the extra $500-$700 else where. Any thoughts?

Archived