Pareos

pacheco18

Just saw a post on this in the pearls thread but thought I'd start a dedicated thread.

Where are the best pareos to be found. I collect them and I love to give as gifts (they always fit and easy to pack).

I would like recommendations for moderate priced (for gifts) and higher priced (for me) LOL.

Just saw a post on this in the pearls thread but thought I'd start a dedicated thread.

Where are the best pareos to be found. I collect them and I love to give as gifts (they always fit and easy to pack).

I would like recommendations for moderate priced (for gifts) and higher priced (for me) LOL.

Tahitian Target :D

I am one who loves the pareos that happen to be made in Indonesia. Don't flame me, but most come from there. I collect pareos as well. My favourites have come from unusual places, although my latest, current favourite came from upstairs in the Marché in Papeete. It's batikish, with geometric and slightly abstract figures, tikis, shells, on it. Blue and yellow. I must have looked at literally *hundreds* of pareos that time to find it. I had originally seen one a bit like it on Raiatea, in one of the little shops by the dock, but alas did not buy it. I also have a favourite fringed one (my first ever), turquoise and white with fish, from Manihi.

The only one I don't really like much is a cotton batik that I bought on Bora Bora, made locally, but I picked the colour badly, and the cotton has never gotten that wonderful soft feel of the rayon ones.

It is getting harder and harder to find the locally made pareos, which are the cotton "tie dyed" ones. I happen to love those, even though the rayon ones do take color beautifully. A shop owner in Moorea explained to me that the rayon pareos are designed there in Moorea, made in Bali, and shipped back to FP for finishing. They sell for $30-40. The cotton tie dyed ones are less expensive, $20-25. I think Moorea is a good place to buy them. Lots of shops around the island. And, the marche in Papeete has plenty of everything.....

Archived