HC experience on Celebrity Summit

Chloe's mom

Wanted to provide this information about our recent trip to Bermuda on the Summit, because it differs from some of the info about other ships in other posts. My husband uses an electric scooter. We were in a regular (not handicap) balcony stateroom. We were able to bring the scooter into the cabin, and although there wasn't a lot of spare space, it fit near the coffee table/desk for charging. Otherwise we were allowed to keep the scooter in the corridor, and had it there for hours at a time, including all night at one point. The Summit seemed very good for someone on a scooter. No real barriers, except some of the doors to outside deck areas had lips on them. But the doors from the buffet area to the outdoor seating area were fine, and they opened automatically.

We've had difficulty getting past scooters left in the hall at night. We are early risers. My DH uses a power chair and sometimes the space is tight. Occasionally we are awake in the middle of the night and we like to go up on deck 11 and feel like we're the only passengers. We try to pass quietly when we are up at those off/odd hours but if scooters and strollers are left in the hall, it can be a real pita. :o

Though you may have thought it was nice that cruise line allowed you to leave the scooter in the hallway, any other passenger that may have been in your corridor of cabins that also used mobility equipment was greatly inconvenienced by this action. Seeing as though your DH was disabled one would think you would have been more sensitive to the fact that there may have been other disabled people that had to manuver around the scooter.

I didn't mean to offend anyone, I had posted this information because other posts had indicated that if one didn't have a handicapped cabin the doorway wasn't wide enough to bring a scooter into it, and that wasn't our experience. Also I had the impression from other posts that leaving a scooter in the hall was prohibited by regulations, and therefore this would be a problem for people who didn't have a handicapped cabin. As a point of information, my husband had no problem maneuvering around items such as tables or carriages that had been left in hallways, perhaps the corridors on the Summit are larger than on other ships?

I didn't mean to offend anyone' date=' I had posted this information because other posts had indicated that if one didn't have a handicapped cabin the doorway wasn't wide enough to bring a scooter into it, and that wasn't our experience. Also I had the impression from other posts that leaving a scooter in the hall was prohibited by regulations, and therefore this would be a problem for people who didn't have a handicapped cabin. As a point of information, my husband had no problem maneuvering around items such as tables or carriages that had been left in hallways, perhaps the corridors on the Summit are larger than on other ships?[/quote']

No, they are not wider and I personally cannot stand it when scooters are left in the hallways. On one cruise, my cabin happened to be between two who insisted on keeping their scooters in the hallway, and I could not get my scooter past either of them. My sister would have to knock on the door and ask one or the other to move them. Of course, they got PO'd. I finally had to complain to the purser and both were told that they are not supposed to be left in the hallway.

The main reason why scooters, wheelchairs, baby carriages, etc., should not be left in hallways is for safety. If people have to be evacuated quickly..and usually if that happens there is a certain panic...then the hallways need to be CLEAR of all obstructions. Having a scooter or power chair in the way - - something that can't be easily moved -- is a real hazard.

The main reason why scooters, wheelchairs, baby carriages, etc., should not be left in hallways is for safety. If people have to be evacuated quickly..and usually if that happens there is a certain panic...then the hallways need to be CLEAR of all obstructions. Having a scooter or power chair in the way - - something that can't be easily moved -- is a real hazard.

Pardon my ignorance, I'm new to the world of handicapped cruising, but I would have thought that in an evacuation someone who needed a mobility scooter would be using it to evacuate, rather than leaving it in the hallway.

Pardon my ignorance' date=' I'm new to the world of handicapped cruising, but I would have thought that in an evacuation someone who needed a mobility scooter would be using it to evacuate, rather than leaving it in the hallway.[/quote']

Not necessarily, and certainly not among the first. There are lots of people who use mobiity scooters to navigate the ship, but can ...and do...walk unassisted. If there was a realy emergency, I can envision at least 2 scenarios: They'd walk out of their cabin and head to safety;

they'd be moving to get to their scooter...slowly..while other able-bodied people around them are already filling up the halls. Once they GET to their scooter, the halls are jammed and they aren't able to quickly move it out of the way.

Tables, baby buggies, service carts -- all can be lifted up and carried out of the way if necessary, even by the less strong. Scooters and power chairs cannot.

• 10 months later...

Just got off Summit on Sunday, and I wanted to give an update to this.

There were a few scooters parked in hallways to charge overnight. However, they were never a problem since they were in areas where the hallway has extra width (due to the shape of the ship, the hallway is not straight from front to back). My husband uses a large power wheelchair, and never had any issue with other mobility devices "in the way".

Any time there was a room steward's cart or a room service table blocking his way, someone would come move it immediately. I guess the room stewards have eyes in the backs of their heads, because they always seemed to know we were coming down the hall! :D

We found Summit to be very accessible.

Archived