Waitlisted for early seating?

danilynn17

My husband and I, my (will then be just shy of a year-old) daughter and my parents will be on the Ryndam in February. We requested early seating and were waitlisted.

We're prefer early seating because the baby should be in bed by the time of the second seating. We all personally prefer the experience of having the same waitstaff every night, and we just think it would be easier with the baby (the high chair could be ready and in place, the waiters would get to know her and what she likes to eat, etc.).

Do people really get off the waitlist and into the early seating? Any suggestions as to anything we could do to get the early seating before or after we get on the ship?

Thanks in advance.

If you get to the ship and you cannot get early sitting, then I would opt for anytime dining in the lower level of the main dining room and get resevations each night for the time they have first sitting up stairs. The only time there will be fixed seating on that one will be at the MASTER CHEF'S DINNER and on both levels that will be 5:30 and 8:15. And if you are a regular at the Open Dining you will be able to get the early seating. Trust me it works.

Your best option once on board, is to see the maitre'd and make a personal request for early traditional seating. Doing so as early as possible will increase the possibility that he can fulfill your request.

Seems like you are with a party of 5 + child. Will you be sitting with others or just your family? We've been travelling with 4 adults and 4 kids the last few years. Earliest started at 7M, 2Y, 4Y, 4Y. We always book as you wish and show up at 5:30. We get a table of 10 for the 8 of us and it is only us the whole cruise. We have 2 extra seats so we spread out. The same night my sister always speaks to someone (don't know who) and reserves the same 5:30 and the same table and waiters for the rest of the cruise. Then we go in nightly w/o problems. We then tip the waiter an extra $50 (each family) and we're good to go the rest of the trip. We get extra food, he serves us quickly and we're in/out.

We reserved a high chair with our internet TA.

We bring activities for the kids to keep them occupied. Sometimes it takes us 90 mins to 2 hrs to have our meal. Work books, crayons etc. Each child has their own portfolio they carry.

If your DD needs a DVD do keep her busy for a short time, bring it.

My sister did that for the younger kids. 20 mins of DVD time is needed sometimes. When her DD was 7M, she would bring the stroller and most nights, she slept under the table during the whole meal. The stroller could be wheeled just under the height of the table.

On our first cruise, my DS (age 2Y at that time) was tired and not acting like himself (tantrum). DH whisked him away and it was room service for the two of them. That happened only twice and not when he went on his next cruise at 3Y. Any acting up....out they go. No need to distrub others and the rest of the family. They learn soon enough. Never happened again after that second incident.

BTW...we clean up as much as possible after dinner. Our kids are usually good and there isn't food all over the place. Other diners with kids...pigsty. They think just because they've paid for it, they can leave food all over the place and wait for someone else to clean up after them. That's just rude. Our kids...our mess...we clean up.

Have a great cruise with your family.

Seems like you are with a party of 5 + child. Will you be sitting with others or just your family? We've been travelling with 4 adults and 4 kids the last few years. Earliest started at 7M, 2Y, 4Y, 4Y. We always book as you wish and show up at 5:30. We get a table of 10 for the 8 of us and it is only us the whole cruise. We have 2 extra seats so we spread out. The same night my sister always speaks to someone (don't know who) and reserves the same 5:30 and the same table and waiters for the rest of the cruise. Then we go in nightly w/o problems. We then tip the waiter an extra $50 (each family) and we're good to go the rest of the trip. We get extra food, he serves us quickly and we're in/out.

We reserved a high chair with our internet TA.

We bring activities for the kids to keep them occupied. Sometimes it takes us 90 mins to 2 hrs to have our meal. Work books, crayons etc. Each child has their own portfolio they carry.

If your DD needs a DVD do keep her busy for a short time, bring it.

My sister did that for the younger kids. 20 mins of DVD time is needed sometimes. When her DD was 7M, she would bring the stroller and most nights, she slept under the table during the whole meal. The stroller could be wheeled just under the height of the table.

On our first cruise, my DS (age 2Y at that time) was tired and not acting like himself (tantrum). DH whisked him away and it was room service for the two of them. That happened only twice and not when he went on his next cruise at 3Y. Any acting up....out they go. No need to distrub others and the rest of the family. They learn soon enough. Never happened again after that second incident.

BTW...we clean up as much as possible after dinner. Our kids are usually good and there isn't food all over the place. Other diners with kids...pigsty. They think just because they've paid for it, they can leave food all over the place and wait for someone else to clean up after them. That's just rude. Our kids...our mess...we clean up.

Have a great cruise with your family.

Wow, you've got it all worked out. It's a fair amount of planning, but worth the trouble if it keeps everyone happy. I love that you have the kids "trained" to carry their own portfolios. Well done!

And how come I never get seated near you, but by the "pigsty parents" instead???:(

We've got Montessori trained kids - HA !!! Plus have spent already $60G on DD's tution and she's only 5, don't want to add up DS's Montessori tution (he's 4) since it will give me a heart attack. Can you imagine how many HAL cruises I could have taken by now !!! I could have been 4* mariner by now. Told the kids, the number of cruises we're taking you until you get a full time job and out of college, will be the number of cruises you will send mommy and daddy to (and pay). Plus they only have to pay 50% since there are 2 kids and they split the cost. They agreed but they're only 4/5 Y and will change their mind by the time they can afford it (but we hope not):)

Archived