Tulum from Costa Maya?

SailorNYC

Hello! Is it possible to visit the ruins of Tulum from the port of Costa Maya? Has anyone done this either by ship's tour or through their own arrangement? If via ship, on which cruise line were you? If your own arrangement, how did you get there?

I am aware that Tulum can be accessed readily from Cozumel, but I have long wished to see Chichen Itza, which can be visited from Cozumel.

Thanks for any info!!

Hello! Is it possible to visit the ruins of Tulum from the port of Costa Maya? Has anyone done this either by ship's tour or through their own arrangement? If via ship, on which cruise line were you? If your own arrangement, how did you get there?

I am aware that Tulum can be accessed readily from Cozumel, but I have long wished to see Chichen Itza, which can be visited from Cozumel.

Thanks for any info!!

It's about 220km (136 miles) to Tulum from the port. Unless you have 10 or more hours in port and want to spent half of it driving, you'll not be able to do this. I'm not sure how you'd do Chichen Itza from Coz either. Chichen Itza is at least 270 km from Playa del Carmen which is a 45 minute ferry ride from Cozumel. That's a very long excursion day to see what are impressive ruins but not worth all that travel time, IMO.

In Costa Maya, use Native Choice and see the ruins at Konhunlich.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the thoughts & suggestions about Costa Maya and Tulum.

Crewsweeper: There is a ship's excursion offered by Holland America from Cozumel to Chichen Itza when port time is 12 hours or greater.

While it may not be the ideal way to see Chichen Itza, it's better than not seeing the ruins at all. If I go on the cruise, I would definitely do it. I am not a fan of ship's tours (prefer independent travel), but I would take this one because it is such a long way away & because I've wanted to visit Chichen Itza for a long time.

• 1 year later...

Archived