Gem vs Jewel & big $ difference questions

DKAL

This is my very first post. Many friends told me to join and since I have a question, here I am.

I am booked on the NCL Gem for January 2011 in an AD. When speaking to some friends they mentioned that I might want to look into the Jewel because of the price differences. The Jewel leaves one day after the Gem to the same places. I live within driving distance to NY and whatever day we either leave or come back doesn't matter.

When researching this cruise, which is our first, I thought I had everything figured out. Now I'm not so sure.

I checked the NCL website and the Jewel is about $700 less per person for the AD than I paid. That is a huge difference in price for a cruise that leaves one day later.

All this time I have been thrilled with our reservation,but now am second guessing it. Our final payment isn't due till October and NCL only has our original deposit.

Would any of you change ships? The same AD I have on the Gem is available on the Jewel.

How different are the ships?

What would you do?

Thank you.

I believe the major differences between teh Gem and Jewel are the Gem has a bowling alley and a rock climbing wall that the Jewel does not. The Jewel has Nickelodeon activities on board though, which may or may not matter to you. THe Nick activities are supposed to be pretty low key. The Jewel is a slightly older ship as well.

This is my very first post. Many friends told me to join and since I have a question, here I am.

I am booked on the NCL Gem for January 2011 in an AD. When speaking to some friends they mentioned that I might want to look into the Jewel because of the price differences. The Jewel leaves one day after the Gem to the same places. I live within driving distance to NY and whatever day we either leave or come back doesn't matter.

When researching this cruise, which is our first, I thought I had everything figured out. Now I'm not so sure.

I checked the NCL website and the Jewel is about $700 less per person for the AD than I paid. That is a huge difference in price for a cruise that leaves one day later.

All this time I have been thrilled with our reservation,but now am second guessing it. Our final payment isn't due till October and NCL only has our original deposit.

Would any of you change ships? The same AD I have on the Gem is available on the Jewel.

How different are the ships?

What would you do?

Thank you.

Welcome to CC!:D

You're not the first to jump ships!:) For 700/pp, and a day appart, I'd switch!;)

We jumped ship from the 1/1/11 Gem to the 1/2/11 Jewel. We live very close to the port and the day did not matter to us. We also had booked an AD and now we wound up with AB the price was not that different. We have never sailed NCL before but the price is right. I asked the same questions you did and decided I did not need the Bowling or Rock Climbing Wall

@DKAL

We have cruised on both ships. As long as I could get another stern cabin, I'd switch in a heart beat for $700. But we are sticks-in-the-mud and are not interested in any of the entertainment, fancy or not.

Archived