Stockholm museum question

For those who have been there....is the Museum of Medieval Stockholm worth it? My friend and I got a Stockholm card and planning our time in the city. And yes, the Vasa is on our list! Any others that are a MUST?

Thanks for your input!

Sorry, I don't know about that museum but, besides the Vasa you might want to consider City Hall. It is an amazing building. This is where they have the Nobel Peace Prize award dinner every year, very impressive. Those were the only two places we toured beside the city sights in general. Beautiful city and the people are delightful and very proud of their country. Have fun. Sandy

We were in Stockholm during our Baltic Cruise. We've visited the city a few times on land trips but never spent much time in the museums with the exception of the Vasa. So this time we went to the Royal Armory and also the Medieval Museum which I'm sure was free!! We thought it was fascinating - especially for children. We spent about an hour there. (No photos were allowed so can't show you the inside.)

Personally I think it all depends on time and what you really like. My husband's an historian, especially military so he was happy to spend the most time in the Royal Armory - which I also found very interesting.

There's also an outdoor museum very near the Vasa - Skansen. We've never been there but out adult son found it very interesting. You might want to check it out on line. The Nordic Museum (furniture, clothing, toys) is also very close to the Vasa and Skansen.

Have a GREAT trip!!

Sorry, I don't know about that museum but, besides the Vasa you might want to consider City Hall. It is an amazing building. This is where they have the Nobel Peace Prize award dinner every year, very impressive. Those were the only two places we toured beside the city sights in general. Beautiful city and the people are delightful and very proud of their country. Have fun. Sandy

BubbaBoo, if you consider visiting the City Hall you have to know that you can only get inside on a guided tour. Here is a link where you can find the information: http://international.stockholm.se/Tourism-and-history/The-Famous-City-Hall/Guided-tours-of-the-City-Hall/

Museum of Medieval Stockholm

http://www.medeltidsmuseet.stockholm.se/museet.php?sprak=english

Been there once. Nothing wrong with museum but perhaps just a little bit too morbid for my taste. Doesn't take that long to visit and its middle of town center so if you have a Stockholm card anyway it might be worth a try.

Just got back from our Baltic cruise and I would suggest see Vasa first thing in AM (opens 8:30AM in Summer). We got on the first HOHO boat and the museum was practically empty and had a great time there. From there, depends on your interest. If you like furnitures, clothings and toys, then head to Nordic Museum. Or if the weather is good then to Skansen. While we were their, the weather was a bit overcast with chance of rain, so we took HOHO boat and do the Royal Armory instead. This place is highly recommended by Rick Steves and certainly does not dissapoint. Easily some of the best Medieval and armory from other periods that I have seen, and my boy really enjoy this. After that, short walk to see the change of guards, then from there to see rest of the old town or the Nobel museum. Our ship docked at Standsgarden (spell?) 167, so from old town, instead of taking HOHO boat, we decided to take a leisurely walk back to the pier and on route stopped by the Fotografiska museum which is on the way. Wife and I enjoyed the exhibits.

Kevin

Archived