Insurance Question-Double becomes Single Under 21

hunniebee724

My 19 year old brother and his friend are booked in one room, across the hall from my parents. His other friend (also 19) and my friend (27) are booked one room away from my parents. This is my wedding cruise and my male friend and my brother's friend both needed roommates...this is why they are rooming together. Anyway...we are 9 days away from the cruise and my friend is now in the hospital in another country, and we do not know if he'll be able to make the cruise. My friend does not have trip insurance. My brother's friend does. The insurance says "Carnival will refund the additional costs you may incur as a result of a change in the per person occupancy rate of prepaid travel arrangements if a traveling companion cancels his/her cruise vacation for a covered reason and you do not cancel." The insurance says "refund" the money...so my brother's friend would have to pay Carnival the extra money and then have Carnival refund it back? We bought the insurance through them, so that doesn't make much sense to me.

We're booked through a TA, and the deadline for getting half the money back without insurance is Wednesday....so my friend can still cancel. If he does, will Carnival allow a 19 year old to be in the room alone or will they cancel him? The friend my brother is booked with is 21. Should we change it so he is the one alone and put my brother and the other 19 year old together?

My 19 year old brother and his friend are booked in one room, across the hall from my parents. His other friend (also 19) and my friend (27) are booked one room away from my parents. This is my wedding cruise and my male friend and my brother's friend both needed roommates...this is why they are rooming together. Anyway...we are 9 days away from the cruise and my friend is now in the hospital in another country, and we do not know if he'll be able to make the cruise. My friend does not have trip insurance. My brother's friend does. The insurance says "Carnival will refund the additional costs you may incur as a result of a change in the per person occupancy rate of prepaid travel arrangements if a traveling companion cancels his/her cruise vacation for a covered reason and you do not cancel." The insurance says "refund" the money...so my brother's friend would have to pay Carnival the extra money and then have Carnival refund it back? We bought the insurance through them, so that doesn't make much sense to me. The Section I cancellation coverage IS provided by Carnival, but it's still under the Protection Plan you purchased and the "event" has to happen and you have to file a claim thru the Insurance to get the difference in single supplement refunded.

We're booked through a TA, and the deadline for getting half the money back without insurance is Wednesday....so my friend can still cancel. If he does, will Carnival allow a 19 year old to be in the room alone or will they cancel him? The friend my brother is booked with is 21. Should we change it so he is the one alone and put my brother and the other 19 year old together? You may have a problem here. If you were just booking, for booking purposes only you'd distrubute an over-21 in each of your cabins, then have the purser re-locate everyone when you board.

ken

Thanks for the clarification on the insurance.

If my friend doesn't cancel, and just doesn't show up, what would happen? Would Carnival say anything at boarding about the 19 year old?

Since they CAN board separately, I'm not sure they'd know the situation at check-in. Hard to tell if they'd even notice, or what they'd do when they see that friend doesn't show.

To get Insurance coverage for the supplement charge, there will have to be an advance cancellation. If there's no cancellation each of the two will simply have paid their individual fares.

ken

Thanks again. Just a few weeks ago, my uncle had to have a quintuple bypass surgery (he's also booked on the cruise, along with my aunt and their 5 children and one of their girlfriends). He's been cleared by his doctor, but they almost had to cancel as well. I am one stressed out bride to be!

Hi hunniebee this happened to me last year. On Carnival Fascination. My daughters friend was in the room with my friend and she didn't show. She did not purchase insurance and did not cancel. Carnival called my daughters friend down after checking to make sure her roommate didn't show. They switched my daughter into the room with her girlfriend at my request and my daughters roommate was my mom so everything worked out just fine. My friend was out of money though.

Archived