MDR Tipping when you don't eat dinner there?

algorithmannie

This will be my first time with Celebrity in Jan/11. My question is regarding specialty restaurants. On other cruise lines we've used in the past; the tip is automatically included in the price of the specialty restaurant but we always tipped extra. Is it the same with Celebrity? :confused:Thank-you.

This is how we always handle it too. Our service is always outstanding so they always get more.

Laura

Irrespective as to the opinions of a few the mandatory automatic tipping procedure will soon be adopted by virtually all mainstream cruise lines, in addition to those who now maintain this practice. In does not make any difference how some may categorize it, it is required because of the few who will stiff the staff and crew; and, who will then resort to the utilization of euphemisms to justify their actions.

Irrespective as to the opinions of a few the mandatory automatic tipping procedure will soon be adopted by virtually all mainstream cruise lines, in addition to those who now maintain this practice. In does not make any difference how some may categorize it, it is required because of the few who will stiff the staff and crew; and, who will then resort to the utilization of euphemisms to justify their actions.

I agree with you, but unless the gratuities are preapaid or mandatory px will still be able to have them taken off their bills, as some are doing now. On NCL the DSC or Daily Service Charge is supposed to be automatic/mandatory. However, per their posters, px get the charge removed from their accounts and tip as they wish to whom they wish.

It will be interesting to see how X and the other lines handle the matter.

the money you pay for the specialty restaurant IS the tip. that is how the waitstaff in there gets paid.

you are not paying for the food

I don't think so. A portion of the fee is for the waitstaff but the other portion goes forwards the food. That is why we always tip more for outstanding service because the whole amount does not go to them.

Laura

I don't think so. A portion of the fee is for the waitstaff but the other portion goes forwards the food. That is why we always tip more for outstanding service because the whole amount does not go to them.

Laura

the money you pay for the specialty restaurant IS the tip. that is how the waitstaff in there gets paid.

you are not paying for the food

Sorry, Mardon, but Laura is correct. A significant portion of the $35 service charge goes towards the cost of the upgraded food. Celebrity VP Jacques van Staden has stated that very clearly here on a CruiseCritic Q& A. I'll find the link if I can.

Sorry, Mardon, but Laura is correct. A significant portion of the $35 service charge goes towards the cost of the upgraded food. Celebrity VP Jacques van Staden has stated that very clearly here on a CruiseCritic Q& A. I'll find the link if I can.

Below is the post from the Jacques van Staden Q&A on Cruise Critic.

I read somewhere on another post made by a Food and Beverage manager that approximately one third of the service charge went to the cost of food, and the rest to the whole team that serves you in the specialty restaurants (waiter, assistant waiter, person that refills bread basket and water, Chef de Rang, and other assorted support staff. I'm sure we had 8 people waiting on us the last time we were in the specialty restaurant on Millennium.)

June 5th, 2009, 01:11 PM

image.php?u=450019&dateline=1243376236Jacques Van Staden user_offline.gif

Vice President Food & Beverage - Celebrity & Azamara Cruise Lines

__________________________________________________ ______

Specialty Restaurant Surcharge

The majority of the surcharge does go to the staff. It varies slightly by specialty restaurant, but again, the largest percentage goes toward gratuities for our staff, and the rest toward purchasing higher quality ingredients. (my highlighting)

Culinary regards,

JVS

Below is the post from the Jacques van Staden Q&A on Cruise Critic.

I read somewhere on another post made by a Food and Beverage manager that approximately one third of the service charge went to the cost of food, and the rest to the whole team that serves you in the specialty restaurants (waiter, assistant waiter, person that refills bread basket and water, Chef de Rang, and other assorted support staff. I'm sure we had 8 people waiting on us the last time we were in the specialty restaurant on Millennium.)

June 5th, 2009, 01:11 PM

image.php?u=450019&dateline=1243376236Jacques Van Staden user_offline.gif

Vice President Food & Beverage - Celebrity & Azamara Cruise Lines

__________________________________________________ ______

Specialty Restaurant Surcharge

The majority of the surcharge does go to the staff. It varies slightly by specialty restaurant, but again, the largest percentage goes toward gratuities for our staff, and the rest toward purchasing higher quality ingredients. (my highlighting)

Culinary regards,

JVS

Thanks so much for finding that, I knew I read it but could not remember where. So many people are under the wrong impression with the service fee for the specialty restaurants.

Laura

Thanks so much for finding that, I knew I read it but could not remember where. So many people are under the wrong impression with the service fee for the specialty restaurants.

Laura

You're very welcome. I think most people want to do well by the service staff. It is always helpful to have as much information as possible, and I thought Jacques van Staden would be a very good source :).

I was talking to a TA. He had a number of rooms on commitment. The arrangement was that if he didn't sell them he wouldn't get any refund - obviously. But he would also be liable for the gratuity that would be charged to passengers if the cabins were taken.

Archived