MDR Tipping when you don't eat dinner there?

algorithmannie

We were on a 2 wk Med cruise and were seated at a table for 8. For the entire cruise 2 of the couple were no shows. Our supposition was that they wanted to avoid tipping the MDR Staff. Our waiter told us that this does happen from time to time. Of course we don't know if these 2 couples tipped, but if not, how sad for the staff.

Excellent!!! Should be a great time. Speaking of dinning, . . . hope we get an excellent Turkey dinner at least on the one night that we should.

Your user name intrigues me, . . . could this be a math wiz named Annie? :)

Perhaps a computer whiz named Annie... :-)

On my last Azamara cruise, all tips were included. Extra charge for specialty restaurants unless you were in a suite. No hassle about the tips. Include in the basic cruise and stop the hassle about the tip or not routine.

I agree more because that different cultures than anything else. It is always difficult for Brits to understand the North American tipping ulture because, it seems to us, that the acepted amounts vary in different part of the US. As cruising becomes more international, it all gets even more difficult to understand.

Just a little story to finish. My brother has lived in Canada for 20 years. The first time I visited him, not long after he moved there, I asked for guidance about tipping. He explained that, where he lived, 15% meant the service was OK, 20% meant that the service was great and 25% meant you wanted to sleep with the waitress. I was always careful not to over tip!

Sue

We were on a 2 wk Med cruise and were seated at a table for 8. For the entire cruise 2 of the couple were no shows. Our supposition was that they wanted to avoid tipping the MDR Staff. Our waiter told us that this does happen from time to time. Of course we don't know if these 2 couples tipped, but if not, how sad for the staff.

Or maybe they switched to Select or maybe they went to the Specialty restaurants or maybe they had room service or maybe they went to the buffet....

Maybe they chose select dining? And if so, it was not sad because

those tips are paid upfront.

Regarding the 2 couples that did not eat in the MDR during our Med Cruise:

They did have several other dining options for dinner as the other posters noted - Alternative dining, the "buffet", Room Service and the one Specialty Restaurant (sorry, I can't remember it's name).

There was no Select Dining at that time.

The issue, IMO, isn't where they ate, but whether they, or other px, pay the gratutities that go to those who also work in other areas at other times, not only in the MDR at Dinner.

We just got back from Celebrity Infinity. I specifically asked at the Guest Relations desk whether the tips will be shared with those who work in the Buffet area. Her response was, "No, because they are salaried". She continued to say that I can tip them if I want to, but they do not share the tips from the MDR staff.

One good way to recognize the buffet area servers is to write a compliment and share it with Celebrity. If you do, they get perks like extra time off and promotions. :)

I see the same servers in the MDR as I see at the buffet...even at the start where they hand you a tray I've seen our assistant waiter.

Wouldn't be the first time that Guest Services gave out bad information.

this is what happened to us on Solstice too-- a lovely table on the rail--no other guests all week-- they showed up once--we were out that night but they would not give up their spot for the cruise so we dined solo..

This is one of the reasons pre-paid tips work out better for the staff--at least they get the minnimum...

One well known aphorism comes to mind-When in Rome do as the Romans do. Some folks plead ignorance of the different culture simply to avoid tipping. It is sad, but it is a fact of life.

When I mentioned different cultures, it was not "to avoid tipping" as you suggest but the not knowing what, when and how to tip. You cannot expect everyone to know the answers. As I said, when we have travelled across the USA in single trips, the norm is different in differnt areas of the country. We usualy solve the problem by tipping at the highest rates we have encountered in the USA bit it is often apparent from the resactions we receive that we have erred on the generous side. However, not every culture underpays their service employees expecting the balance to be made up with tips and people who have not travelled in the US may not understand this. That is also a sad fact.

Sue

Several waiters on the Equinox told us that they are advised which guests have removed the tips. They said sometimes people would say they prefer to tip in cash at the end but then don't turn up on the last night. We have paid our gratuities, service charge or whatever they want to call it along with the final balance of the cruise cost for our last few cruises and find it much more convenient. Then if we want to reward for great service we can just tip as we go. Works well for us.

One well known aphorism comes to mind-When in Rome do as the Romans do. Some folks plead ignorance of the different culture simply to avoid tipping. It is sad, but it is a fact of life.
We recently stayed at a four star hotel in Toronto and as always left a few dollars every day for the room attendant. She stopped us one day to thank us and said that she looked after 18 rooms and we were the only guests to tip her. This was during a big International conference where there were people of ALL nationalities and many from North America.

Don't always assume that because someone isn't there on the last night that it means they didn't tip. My husband and I love to enjoy the last night in the specialty restaurants. We usually eat there at least 4-5 times during a cruise and the last night it's usually almost empty and the staff makes us something special.

We give our envelopes to the MDR staff the night before. We still prefer that to the new automated tipping. I like knowing exactly who gets my money, personally. We make sure to visit everyone who is supposed to get an envelope and take care of them.

I would also not like gratuities to be automatically included in the cost of the cruise. I don't believe in tipping in advance. A tip is to thank the person for a service well rendered- how can I do that before I receive the service?

We just got back from Celebrity Infinity. I specifically asked at the Guest Relations desk whether the tips will be shared with those who work in the Buffet area. Her response was, "No, because they are salaried". She continued to say that I can tip them if I want to, but they do not share the tips from the MDR staff.

One good way to recognize the buffet area servers is to write a compliment and share it with Celebrity. If you do, they get perks like extra time off and promotions. :)

When on our X cruises we have always seen our MDR waiter and asst waiter working in the buffet area at breakfast and lunch and at the nighttime parties out on the pool deck. The do literally work all day and night.

The staff from the Specialty Rest. works at the Aqua Spa Cafe.

They and the housekeeping staff earn their gratuities through their hard work and wonderful service.

Don't always assume that because someone isn't there on the last night that it means they didn't tip. My husband and I love to enjoy the last night in the specialty restaurants. We usually eat there at least 4-5 times during a cruise and the last night it's usually almost empty and the staff makes us something special.

We give our envelopes to the MDR staff the night before. We still prefer that to the new automated tipping. I like knowing exactly who gets my money, personally. We make sure to visit everyone who is supposed to get an envelope and take care of them.

I would also not like gratuities to be automatically included in the cost of the cruise. I don't believe in tipping in advance. A tip is to thank the person for a service well rendered- how can I do that before I receive the service?

As long as you do not chose Select Dining, you should be happy. I suppose the daily automatic gratuity is the day after, so it is technically after the service is rendered for the previous day.

My heart (and pocketbook) has always gone out to the waitstaff/stewards. They NEVER have a day off when on the ship and work such unthinkable, long hours and most are away from all loved ones. We only ate in the MDR 4 times on our last cruise. We ate in a specialty restaurant the last night; however, we made an appearance in the MDR during dessert to goodbye to our tablemates and to tip our 2 servers above & beyond the "required".

I just finished Brian Bruns book, Cruise Confidential (A Hit Below the Waterline). If you are the "cruis'n type", I recommend this book. It's an eye opener. Brian was the only American to finish a contract with Carnival. On my future cruises, my heart will break for my wait team. Now, we will tip our servers/stewards even more. Like Brian said in the book, they live in an artificial environment onboard. Gone from all that is familiar and worked to the bone. I don't know how the cruise lines get away with it (maybe because the ships are registered in a 3rd world country?). It's like modern-day slavery. There were months when Brian only had time for ONE meal a day. The crew gets so little time for sleep at night before they begin a new shift, but have to unwind from a stressful day of delivering their very best service & that translates to about an average of 3 hr's. sleep a night! Lots of hanky-panky, too. (Carnival supplies the condoms for crew)

If you subscribe to the belief, as I think many do, that everyone should be paying the recommended "gratuities" in full independent on where you dine (MDR, Buffet, specialty options, etc.), . . . then in reality, that cost is a service charge fee and not a gratuity. Adding that service fee onto your bill guarantees that everyone pays equally and the crew is compensated (and not "stiffed").

Then, . . . you can decide to TIP additionally directly to those that have provided you with outstanding service. This TIP becomes a true gratuity, for it is above and beyond what is required or expected. This is just like if you leave an extra $20, $40, or $50 bucks in the envelope. But, how many times have you given a service provider extra in an envelope, . . . and he/she is busy and politely stuffs the envelope into their pocket without being aware that you gave more?

Having a default service charge added at booking, and then providing a TIP directly - there would be instant gratification for both you and them (you rewarded them, and you know they acknowledged your generosity). It also resolves any cultural differences about using the word "gratuity" as is now the case.

I do think this is the way the cruise lines need to go and I think they are gradually getting there with these "pre-paid" requirements and also charging the fee daily.

Just my thoughts.

There are many reasons why people don't eat in the MDR, or don't eat there every night. For instance, on our upcoming Constellation Baltic cruise, we'll be in the Tuscan Grille the first night since we chose early dining, which is the same time as when the ship goes through the lock leaving Amsterdam, which is something we don't want to miss. We'll also miss the MDR on our third night when we're on our Berlin excursion since that tour gets back to the ship late in the evening. Then, in St. Petersburg we'll be eating at a local restaurant during the first evening of our two day visit to give us a chance to enjoy the local cuisine. Another evening we'll be eating in the Ocean Liners specialty restaurant, and still another we'll try the casual dining option in the buffet area. So that's five of the twelve nights we'll be elsewhere. We chose to prepay our tips so the MDR staff will be compensated even if we aren't there.

There are many reasons why people don't eat in the MDR, or don't eat there every night. For instance, on our upcoming Constellation Baltic cruise, we'll be in the Tuscan Grille the first night since we chose early dining, which is the same time as when the ship goes through the lock leaving Amsterdam, which is something we don't want to miss. We'll also miss the MDR on our third night when we're on our Berlin excursion since that tour gets back to the ship late in the evening. Then, in St. Petersburg we'll be eating at a local restaurant during the first evening of our two day visit to give us a chance to enjoy the local cuisine. Another evening we'll be eating in the Ocean Liners specialty restaurant, and still another we'll try the casual dining option in the buffet area. So that's five of the twelve nights we'll be elsewhere. We chose to prepay our tips so the MDR staff will be compensated even if we aren't there.

You are evidentally a very responsible couple. Hopefully others who don't dine in the MDR during their cruise are responsible also. I don't think the jist of this thread is directed to those px who dine at a variety of venues while onboard and pay their gratuities.

Perhaps now that X is offering a variety of dining options the gratuity/tipping process needs to be refined, which doesn't seem to be an easy process. I am following the NCL Boards as we are doing a family cruise on the Gem in Nov. One of their threads is dealing with tipping- who tips and who doesn't - who eats where, etc. And NCL has had years to refine their tipping in line with their Freestyle concept!

I'm so glad I started this conversation! I think Celebrity definitely needs to work on making the expectations clearer. I have cruised 5 times previously and am horrified to realize that I handled this matter incorrectly!

I can understand that Celebrity doesn't want to include the cost of these gratuities in the cruise price... it would make their prices much higher than other cruises. Asking that gratuities be pre-paid helps, but I think there needs to be more communication about what that money is actually paying for! Then, as someone else suggested, passengers can tip any additional amount if they want to.

I can only imagine that there are others like myself who misunderstand this at the waiters' expense!

This will be my first time with Celebrity in Jan/11. My question is regarding specialty restaurants. On other cruise lines we've used in the past; the tip is automatically included in the price of the specialty restaurant but we always tipped extra. Is it the same with Celebrity? :confused:Thank-you.

This will be my first time with Celebrity in Jan/11. My question is regarding specialty restaurants. On other cruise lines we've used in the past; the tip is automatically included in the price of the specialty restaurant but we always tipped extra. Is it the same with Celebrity? :confused:Thank-you.

Yes, the gratuities are covered in the extra charge for the Specialty restaurants. If you choose to tip extra, it will be appreciated, but it is up to you, and is not required.

We have always found the service in the Specialty restaurants to be above and beyond what is expected, and we tip extra according to what we would tip in similar land-based restaurants.

Archived