St. Kitt's Railway Tour not offered

Sailing Grandma

We will be on the Celebrity Summit stopping at St. Kitt's in Feb. 2011 and were looking forward to taking the Railway tour. Last week Celebrity posted its tours for St. Kitt's and the Railway is not listed among the tours.

Since the cruise is still 6 months away, do you think they might add it at a later date?

Can someone recommend another tour that will give us the same island overview as the railway.

Thanks for your help.

There is a road that runs around the island close to the tracks. You close the road several times during your train ride. So if nothing else you could see about the same area by taxi. I hope they offer the train ride for you. My wife and I did it last year and it was truly a lot of fun.

I find it strange that Celebrity's not offering the tour, as it's a major tour for all the lines that visit St. Kitts. Anyway, you can check out their website (http://www.stkittsscenicrailway.com/allAboard.html) - they have some information on booking independently or if you need to contact them. Perhaps you can send them an email about your situation.

As a side note, we took the railway tour last year, and honestly, it was pretty dull. It gives an overview of the island, but most of the scenery is the same: lots of open fields and grassland. The narration was very limited and uninspiring. I had really looked forward to doing this one (I loved their sister excursion, White Pass & Yukon RR in Skagway, so much I did it twice), but it was a huge disappointment. On our next visit to St. Kitts, we'll do a private tour for a closer, better overview.

• 2 weeks later...

:(I did not see anyone on my train ride enjoying themselves. Couple next to me opened their paperbacks and started reading.

If you take this trip, bring extra water.

And damp washcloth... very sticky drinks.

Archived