Question About Birth Certificates

ladyvette826

I will be using my BC and DL as a form of ID for my upcoming cruise. In S.C., we have little blue cards that say BIRTH CERTIFICATE on them and it is what most people use for ID purposes unless a certified one is required.

I've always been able to use the little blue card on my previous cruises...but, a friend mentioned recently that she thought I needed the big certified BC. I haven't thought about getting a certified BC because I just figured I'd still be able to use the little blue card.

Is there anyone here from S.C. who has cruised recently and used a BC for identification? If so, did you have to present the certified one or did you use the little blue card?

Thanks in advance for the help in figuring this out!

We are from SC and that is all my husband had for our first cruise. It was fine and it was also acceptable for obtaining his passport. If you have children though, the blue card is NOT acceptable. For them, you have to have the long BC which has both parents' names listed.

I'm from Michigan, and my DH's is a little blue card thing too! I thought it was the wierdest thing, but it worked fine when we went on our first cruise. Mine looks very different. A few years ago, I thought I misplaced them, so I got new ones, and these ones look different then both of our originals...I now have 3 different versions of a Michigan birth cert. I have used all the different versions with no problem.

My son who is 25 applied for his passport recently and only had the little blue card. They sent back his application and he had to provide 5 alternative forms of ID. Afterwards I checked on SC Vital Records web site and it said the long bc was now the only acceptable form for travel. I think it depends on who checks you in because you are suppose to have the raised seal on the bc.

Archived