Turtle farm

The forever cruiser

I'm not certain about this, but I hate to see people count on it and have wrong info. When I read the FAQ's at the Boatswain website, it does not look to me like they provide shuttle service for anyone except those who pre-book tours through their cruise ship. For those without pre-booked tours, they suggest taxi's or public transportation and include the current rates. I also used their contact for to ask for transportation clarification, doubting I will get a response based on what others have said. But here is a link to their FAQ page, read it yourself and see what you think:

http://www.boatswainsbeach.ky/about/faq.cfm

As for the condition of the park... I was there 2 years ago with my mom, also back in 1997. After the hurricane destroyed the island, they rebuilt the Turtle Farm in a new location... much, much better. The old one was nothing great but the new park is extensive and nice. Yes, most of the turtles are raised for consumption, though they do return a small percentage back to the ocean. As someone else already mentioned, their goal is to keep illegal hunting of the turtles down by making the food source available. Remember, they are on a small, flat island in the middle of the sea. Their food options are not the same as ours in the US. This quote directly from their FAQ section (under the "Turtle Questions" tab):

"How many turtles are released each year?

With the farm stock now greatly reduced due to Hurricane Michelle in 2001, we now do "token" releases of about 20 turtles each year. Over 31,000 turtles have been released to date."

One more thing to add: The time my mom and I went to Boatswain (in 2008) was a tour we took through Captain Marvins. We were very pleased with it (we've taken other tours with them, including to Stingray City). If I remember correctly though, all CM's did was deliver us to Boatswains, we were then put in the charge of a guide there who took us around and educated us about the turtles and their establishment.

Archived